Denon AH-D7000
Oct 10, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #6,856 of 7,464
  Alpha pads from MrSpeakers ? I have it and tried on various headphones and never really liked it.
It generates lot of heat and discomfort due to angle-design.  To me making the pads angled is really not an ideal way to increase the sound stage.

Like Senns, beyer, should angle the driver inside the headphone housing.

Anglepads do not distribute the pressure evenly, that results in the frontal clamps, like Audeze as an example.

Denon's are angled from the factory.  And to me no clamp problems, with either Lawton angle pads or Alpha's.  

Different strokes I guess.  I even like the Alpha's on my Q40's. 

Oct 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #6,857 of 7,464
@DemonFox: I thought you didn't like some of the TH900 characteristics that makes you prefer the TH600 instead. Hehehe. The price difference will make your wallet scream!
biggrin.gif

Trust me I know... Its a hard choice because some say that the TH900's are better in every way so of course that option has to be on the table but what is good to some may not be good to others. Plus like you mention, is it worth the extra five to six hunny... 
confused.gif

I know how great the TH600's are but the prospect of better than the best I've ever heard maybe to much to ignore...

Why can't I just win the lottery and own them all?!?!? 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 10, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #6,859 of 7,464

Alpha pads from MrSpeakers ? I have it and tried on various headphones and never really liked it.
It generates lot of heat and discomfort due to angle-design.  To me making the pads angled is really not an ideal way to increase the sound stage.

Like Senns, beyer, should angle the driver inside the headphone housing.

Anglepads do not distribute the pressure evenly, that results in the frontal clamps, like Audeze as an example.

Denon's are angled from the factory.  And to me no clamp problems, with either Lawton angle pads or Alpha's.  

Different strokes I guess.  I even like the Alpha's on my Q40's. 

I like them a lot more than the factory pads which as far as factory ones go are quite good. The alphas are just better all around and the comfort at least to me is fantastic!! They can look a little goofy on ear but lets be honest, who cares 

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Oct 11, 2013 at 5:56 PM Post #6,860 of 7,464
Just tried out a comfort mod for the D7000 thought up by Oregonian using the HD650 headband pad. It seems like a much better option than the Beyer pad (quite a lot better looking too) and was pretty affordable ($7.50 + shipping and some double sided tape). I'll give my impressions once I've had some time to use it.

Here's a pic from Oregonian of the completed mod:

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #6,861 of 7,464
  Just tried out a comfort mod for the D7000 thought up by Oregonian using the HD650 headband pad. It seems like a much better option than the Beyer pad (quite a lot better looking too) and was pretty affordable ($7.50 + shipping and some double sided tape). I'll give my impressions once I've had some time to use it.

I liked it so much I've got two more ordered for my D5000 and D2000.  Sennheiser always seems to be backordered on these things.

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #6,862 of 7,464

I liked it so much I've got two more ordered for my D5000 and D2000.  Sennheiser always seems to be backordered on these things.

Simple. Smart. I likes! Do you buy the pad directly from Senn?

Thanks,

:evil:

Oct 11, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #6,863 of 7,464

Yeah, it took me quite awhile to get my pad.

Simple. Smart. I likes! Do you buy the pad directly from Senn?

Thanks,

evil_smiley.gif

Yes sir, just call them up and ask for a HD650 headband pad.

A warning to those with large heads, though, the pad will take up a lot of room, my headphones are now set to the maximum size now, where it was originally 3 clicks on one side and 2/3 clicks on the other.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #6,864 of 7,464
Definitely an elegant solution. Which should be better than the stock pad. Though for the 650 itself, that headband pad isn't exactly amazing, and flattens out easily. It could stand to be more plush/dense.

Oct 12, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #6,865 of 7,464
http://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-Products-2097-Density/dp/B00005202U/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_3

i am using this on my hd650...(embarasssedddd )

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #6,866 of 7,464
Can you snap a pic? Might be interested in something like that for my MA900.

Oct 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #6,868 of 7,464
Lol, you're using the same thing to angle the pads?

Hmm, certainly cheap enough to try for my MA900's headband...

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #6,869 of 7,464
i bot a roll of the foam strip...
use it to stuff beneath earpads...
angle the pads...
cushion the headbands...
seal off vents outside the cups...
inside the cups

l
looks yuckyyyyy
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #6,870 of 7,464
So I've been using the pad for awhile, and it's damn comfortable. At first, I felt pressure where the pads touched my head (two blocks on the sides of the center line of my head), but after the pads softened up, it got very comfortable. I tried taking the headband off and wearing it without it and my god the difference is big.

Overall, I'm very happy with this mod. It's very comfortable, looks great, and works far better than that beyer pad mod. Plus it's totally removable with no sign that it was ever modded and was very cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back