Denon AH-D7000
Apr 10, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #3,106 of 7,464
Thanks guys...MLE we def got the same taste, your opinions on the PC 360 and Denons def helped me make those purchases, and after trying them out our thoughts are pretty much scary identical. I think your plan is perfect, If the He-4 doesn't provide the sound you were hoping I think going back to the DT990's would be a great idea until you can fund for some real good orthos. I read a ton on the He-4 and think you make the right choice, we shall find out shortly. When I get my Lyr the first headphone getting plugged in is the Dt990, I am very curious how it compares to the fiio set up. I heard the Dt990 was on of Jason's personal favorite cans and was one of the cans used for testing and tweaking the Lyr. I am not 100% sure on that one but I have read it on here. I have a feeling it sounds amazing on the Lyr.

As for the stand, i honestly looked at the headphones stands on here to get ideas, went to home depot, found some wood I though might work, and that's what i came up with. Still want to stain it eventually. I was gonna buy the Woo Audio stand that holds 2 but for $75 man for that price just build your own.

Apr 10, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #3,107 of 7,464
Go for one of the velvet jewelry display racks. You can easily find them in black at 12" high. $15 on eBay. Pretty amazing for a headphone stand.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #3,108 of 7,464
I'm cracking up over how polarizing the look of the headroom stuff is!   I really, really like the look.  It is a cool departure from the rectangular prism that is 95% of audio gear.  Or, apparently, it is a black blob...  Wonderful sound, half the size it looks in photos, 6 1/4 x 6 1/4 x 3ish.  A match made in heaven with the D7000's.

Apr 10, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #3,109 of 7,464
I like my rectangular prism. It all stacks nicely. lol.

I'm cracking up over how polarizing the look of the headroom stuff is!   I really, really like the look.  It is a cool departure from the rectangular prism that is 95% of audio gear.  Or, apparently, it is a black blob...  Wonderful sound, half the size it looks in photos, 6 1/4 x 6 1/4 x 3ish.  A match made in heaven with the D7000's.

Apr 10, 2011 at 6:44 PM Post #3,110 of 7,464

Quote:
I am considering leaving...  My job is currently long hours, and I have a loving wife and a six year old who both love my attention.  Not a lot of time for a bedside/desktop rig.  

Sorry to hear that mate.  I've always liked your posts and actually based some big spending decisions on your impressions.  I know what it is to have work, wife & kid take more hours than there are in a day.  Best of luck, hopefully you'll change your mind or maybe go my route and stop sleeping.
beerchug.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,111 of 7,464
I use toilet paper holders from Bed Bath & Beyond, screwed under my desk. Would love to display them, not that anyone I know would appreciate my collection, but space is very limited in my tiny house. Plus there is some weird fun about having really nice phones hanging from TP holders :)

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #3,112 of 7,464
The simplistic beauty of the D7000s goes well with a simple-looking source/power combo.  The D7000s would look cheap hooked up to McIntosh or Woo Audio stuff.  Besides, the D7000s just need a sexy source.

Quote:
I do really want to try out some of the high end Headroom stuff sometime, I just can't see myself ever buying any. I'm sure it sounds amazing.

Quote:

For sure, eyes of the beholder on all this stuff.  I think there is nothing wrong with getting gear you like the looks of, as long as you keep the ultimate goal in mind, which you all are!

Complete speculation here... from listening to other Headroom gear and the D7000's on quite a few amps now... I am guessing the 7's pair VERY nicely with this rig.

Apr 10, 2011 at 9:49 PM Post #3,113 of 7,464

Quote:
I use toilet paper holders from Bed Bath & Beyond, screwed under my desk. Would love to display them, not that anyone I know would appreciate my collection, but space is very limited in my tiny house. Plus there is some weird fun about having really nice phones hanging from TP holders :)

Wow that is a messy collection indeed.
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #3,114 of 7,464

Quote:

Great way to keep the dust off. I would worry about my dog on that one off day she had an issue to settle with me.

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #3,115 of 7,464
So I ended up deciding to just get the stock D7000 instead of the recable from Moon as well. Saved a good chunk of change that I can now use towards a new DAC. Yay.

They should be here Thursday...

...and I'm out of town until Saturday...

:frowning2:

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:22 PM Post #3,116 of 7,464

Quote:

I filled up my stand with the D7000...I think I'm done for a while.

Nice stand... and things to adorn it! 
wink_face.gif

It would appear as though you favor... the 'fuller' sound signature. I most certainly understand.
L3000.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #3,117 of 7,464

Quote:
So I ended up deciding to just get the stock D7000 instead of the recable from Moon as well. Saved a good chunk of change that I can now use towards a new DAC. Yay.

frown.gif

Congrats on the choice.

@ aamefford. I understand the push-pull of all these things in one's life, and I appreciate what you're going through. Priorities and what you need to achieve them. The cans and amp are just things and obviously could never equal the importance of the un-replacables. You know you'll miss the D7k's, but what the heck... you'll also get over it, I'm sure. And if not, as has been said... you'll buy another.

I look forward to you joining in on future discussions... but you'll have to qualify all your statements with IIRC.
wink_face.gif

Good luck on the sale.

Cheers.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #3,118 of 7,464
 Def Shane. I'm a music listener not a music analyzer. If I can listen to a headphone and it can have me looking like an idiot fist pumping or rocking my head to the beat in my room, then I'm sold lol. I keep it simple.

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:51 PM Post #3,119 of 7,464

Quote:

frown.gif

Did you end up going the J&R route?

IMHO, I think D7000 comes with a very good stock cable. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3,120 of 7,464
Didn't end up the J&R route. I just bought the stock can from Moon for ~800.

And yeah, once I saw the stock cable I was kind of...'Well this doesn't look bad at all.' Being short on money for a DAC, I figured it'd be a good swap in price.

Did you end up going the J&R route?

IMHO, I think D7000 comes with a very good stock cable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back