Denon AH-D7000
Apr 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #3,076 of 7,462
jronan2... The M50's are much hotter on my head than the D7k, which are somewhat loose and can breathe. Of course that is one of the plusses... the minus being the lack of isolation, but where and how I listen, no biggie, and if I need isolation, I'll grab the M50 or IEM's.

Stink? Oh, now that's odd.

And I agree with NOsferatu on all his points regarding break-in and reputable dealers.

Congrats on your new cans!

Apr 9, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #3,077 of 7,462
Thanks guys. Yeah they might be the worst closed headphones I've seen when it comes to sound leakage, but in my situation its not a problem at all. Are you guys running the stock pads or the J$? I'm going to leave them stock for a while I got a few purchases i want to make before I try and  lay low for a while but will consider the pads along the way. The D7K will be in my possession for a very long time so I'm in no rush.

I basically have no use for the M50's now. I'm glad i got them when I first started but the Pro 900 and D7K poop all over them, which they should. Maybe leave them at work or something.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #3,078 of 7,462
Stock. iPods (good enough) but mostly DAC1-Pre (makes a big difference).

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #3,079 of 7,462
Stock pads here. I am interested in the J$ but plan to wait until I can hear them at a meet to see what I think before I make a move. I would be looking for SQ improvement as I don't feel like anything needs to be "fixed" with the stock sound. I'm going to trust my ears. There are some reputable characters who like the sound, so I think it's worth investigating even if I am currently happy with the stock sound.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3,080 of 7,462
I think the problem with trusting he said she said is that I don't think there's enough people here who have directly A/B'd a D7K with stock pads and D7K with J$. People swapped the pads and just came to conclusions that one was better than the other. That doesn't sit well with me.

I'm extremely anal about seeing real improvements and differences, to the point I go back and forth for hours. I'm still doing it with the E9 vs Lyr and my D7000. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, and neither would disappoint if I only had one.

I'm betting its the same with stock vs J$, though unlike the E9 and Lyr which both keep the awesome low end of the D7000, the pads apparently change this area, which I'm not willing to give up. The theater-esque bass of the D7000 is so impressive to me, I wanna go back and rewatch some movies just because of how amazing the D7000 sounds with movies.

Apr 9, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #3,081 of 7,462
J$'s, after a bit (not hours...) of AB.  Mids back a bit, highs tamed a bit, bass tamed a bit, soundstage increased a bit.  Al from memory, so take with a grain of salt.  Not a 100% improvement, but better overall for my needs.

EDIT - Differences are small.  Biggest reason for J$'s for me?  I hate pleather.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #3,082 of 7,462
Yeah maybe I'm taking it the wrong way but when I hear "bass tamed a bit" it scares me. Even with only about 12 hours burn in on my D7K, I don't want ANYTHING to change with bass. I think the bass is amazing as is. The quality of the bass is perfect and just enough punch for me. Not too much not too little.

I saw Skylab has said he believes the D7K sound better with the J$'s and I trust him a lot. He has helped me out before and as everyone knows has used, tested so much equipment its quite amazing. I'm not saying I don't trust others on here, I listen to everyone's opinion. Also havent read too much on the V3 pads. No one really knows the difference between the versions, or I haven't been able to find solid info on it yet.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #3,083 of 7,462
J$'s, after a bit (not hours...) of AB.  Mids back a bit, highs tamed a bit, bass tamed a bit, soundstage increased a bit.  Al from memory, so take with a grain of salt.  Not a 100% improvement, but better overall for my needs.

The effect on the highs is exactly why I want to give 'em a listen when I get a chance. I occasionally find a harsh high here and there and usually attribute it more to the source or tubes I've selected, but if that can be tamed just a bit it will really make these more versatile for me.

Skylab's recommendation is as creditable as they come as well. Aren't his 7k's the full Markl mod?

Aemefford, looks like you are leaving the 7k camp from your recent FS post?

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #3,084 of 7,462
My D7000 are completely stock except for the JMoney pads.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #3,085 of 7,462
Which version do you have Skylab?

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #3,086 of 7,462
I believe my JMoney pads are the first version.

Apr 9, 2011 at 1:28 PM Post #3,087 of 7,462
Thing is, Skylab may not want the kind of bass we like, but an even more balanced sound out of his D7K. I don't want a more balanced D7K. I like the bass emphasis, and slight treble emphasis. The slight V curve is exactly how I want it. If anything, the Lyr has made the V curve even straighter, which may be why I prefer the E9, since it doesn't alter the D7K's curve.

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #3,089 of 7,462

Skylab is the great sentinel of Head-Fi.  He watches, and waits for new gear.  And when it comes, be ready.  It shall be reviewed.
Quote:
Quote:
My D7000 are completely stock except for the JMoney pads.

It's kind of creepy, it's like he's always watching every thread!
wink.gif

Thank you sir!

Apr 9, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #3,090 of 7,462
The J$'s are always in demand used.  You can buy a pair and test drive.  If you don't like them, it is fairly painless to sell them at minimal loss.  Just a thought.  You can also go through the D5000 Markl mods thread and stuff the stock pads, I'd bet a quarter that the effect is VERY close to the J$'s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back