Denon AH-D7000
Apr 7, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #3,047 of 7,460
Of all the amps I tried my (now sold) D7000s + J$ earpads, the Meier Audio Concerto was the best....just amazing synergy. I would strongly recommend the Lyr with orthos...but not the D7000s. While I haven't tried the pairing, my Edition 8LEs are also similar efficient headphones and not the greatest match with the Schiit Audio amp.

For portable amps...I would recommend you look into the iBasso D6 or D12...(I really liked the D7000s from my D10 and D4).

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3,048 of 7,460

With my recable the Denons are definately not a portable headphone. They will stay nice and safe at home. I'll stick to my TMA-1s (which I could probably run over with a car and still use) for portable cans.

It's disappointing that Schiit isn't a good pairing for them. I love the Asgard look (and price).

Quote:
Of all the amps I tried my (now sold) D7000s + J$ earpads, the Meier Audio Concerto was the best....just amazing synergy. I would strongly recommend the Lyr with orthos...but not the D7000s. While I haven't tried the pairing, my Edition 8LEs are also similar efficient headphones and not the greatest match with the Schiit Audio amp.

For portable amps...I would recommend you look into the iBasso D6 or D12...(I really liked the D7000s from my D10 and D4).

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #3,049 of 7,460
With my recable the Denons are definately not a portable headphone. They will stay nice and safe at home. I'll stick to my TMA-1s (which I could probably run over with a car and still use) for portable cans.

It's disappointing that Schiit isn't a good pairing for them. I love the Asgard look (and price).

The Asgard would be a great choice too!

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #3,050 of 7,460
I didn't pay $1000 for them lol. I would never do that. You have to bargain with them.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,051 of 7,460

Eh. They've gone up since I started looking at them. Most places I've found hit MSRP now. Plus, because I ordered from Moon I wasn't going to try and bargain with someone that does recabling and such. The headphone market is small enough, and the custom market is even smaller. If I pay a premium for quality work to someone I know supports themselves on it, I'm okay with that. :D

Again on the DAC/Amp arguments. Has anyone paired them with the Yulong D100? I'm seriously considering one along with the Asgard (and a few others). project86 sure seemed to enjoy the A100 + D100 pair.

Quote:
I didn't pay $1000 for them lol. I would never do that. You have to bargain with them.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #3,052 of 7,460

Quote:

I think the Asgard is a great amp for the Denons. They generally pair well with most SS amps.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #3,053 of 7,460
We'll see. I've been looking at a Yulong D100+A100 combo, but that's a little more than I'm looing to spend right now. Even just the D100 is another $500 after I just dropped a grand on the cans.

I think the Asgard will be a fun pair with them, but I need to find a new DAC as well. I was looking at the one of HRT's offerings, but I hate the plugs in front AND back design. It's ugly and you can only make it look pretty by hiding it. Suggestions?
Quote:
I think the Asgard is a great amp for the Denons. They generally pair well with most SS amps.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #3,054 of 7,460
No suggestions for beautifying it 
biggrin.gif
. But I definitely recommend it's sound. The HRT Streamer II was my first good dac.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #3,055 of 7,460

Yeah. I like the minimal-ness that it brings to the table, it's just ugly...and the D7000s are beautiful. I want a quality, nice looking DAC/Amp to go with it.

Considering the Matrix Cube - $300
Yulong D100 - $500

And those are my only real options I've been looking at lately. I'd like the Yulong, but it may be out of my reach for awhile (I'm moving soon). Anything under $500 is definately an option if it includes a decent Amp as well. If it's DAC only it'd need to be $200 or less for me atm.
Quote:
No suggestions for beautifying it 
biggrin.gif
. But I definitely recommend it's sound. The HRT Streamer II was my first good dac.

Apr 7, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #3,056 of 7,460
When I had my D7000,  I was using Ibasso D4 Mamba as a DAC and Matrix M-Stage as an amp. I never heard the Asgard but my previous rig (D4 + M-Stage) was an astonishing pairing. M-Stage had no problem driving, K701, D7000, and even LCD-2 and HE-5, but just as D7000 like SS amps, LCD-2 and HE-5 are better of with a hybrid. So I highly recommend the M-Stage 

Apr 7, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #3,058 of 7,460
I may go with the Music Streamer II+ when I get the Lyr. I only use one my macs for a source and I don't need the dac for any other purpose really. It seems to get good reviewsl, some personal mixed reviews on here by some head fiers. I'll probably want the Schiit dac when it comes this summer, depending on the specs and price of course.
I like what i read about the audio gd series but I don't want to buy from china and their dacs are crazy huge. Just want a nice little set up that performs well on my desk. The audio gd looks like its too big n bulky for me.

Probably use the D7000 exclusively with the e9 still.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:13 PM Post #3,059 of 7,460

Quote:
I may go with the Music Streamer II+ when I get the Lyr. I only use one my macs for a source and I don't need the dac for any other purpose really. It seems to get good reviewsl, some personal mixed reviews on here by some head fiers. I'll probably want the Schiit dac when it comes this summer, depending on the specs and price of course.
I like what i read about the audio gd series but I don't want to buy from china and their dacs are crazy huge. Just want a nice little set up that performs well on my desk. The audio gd looks like its too big n bulky for me.

Probably use the D7000 exclusively with the e9 still.

I'm super interested in that Schiit DAC. I'm hoping they keep costs low by making it pair with their amps instead of making it a DAC/Amp combo. They seem to have the right idea so far, so I can hope they'll do the right thing.

Apr 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #3,060 of 7,460
Yup I feel the same way. from what i heard they are supposed to come out with 2 dacs by year end. One in the summer that is entry level and the other a beast i guess later on. If I go with the streamer now  I will simply pair it with my e9 and use the e7 for strictly portable use at work. I'm glad the e9 pairs well with the D7000, supposedly better than the Lyr, I still want to use my e9 in a different part of the house, I still think it's an amazing amp for $130.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back