Denon AH-D7000
Apr 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #3,016 of 7,464
So guys...I pulled the trigger...I just got done ordering a pair of Denon D7000 with a Blue Dragon recable from Moon Audio. This will be by far the best headphone I have owned, and I'm 100% sure I will absolutely love them. What a MASSIVE trigger (total with shipping hit 1065), but they'll be brand new, and shiny, and just...beautiful. Anyway, there is something I want to ask you D7k vets. What Amp & DAC have you found that pairs best with your D7000s? I've actually heard great things about the E9 paired with them (which is kind of nice, considering I have one). As far as DACs go, I am definately in the market for a new one. Suggestions?

Congratulations on the purchase. You're going to love 'em!

One of the benefits of the D7000 is that they don't seem to be all that particular about amplification. I've found the Little Dot I+ a great combination in general. The euphonic signature the combo creates is great when I'm listening to blues and classic rock. The Gilmore Lite rocks the 7k's when I'm listening to fast and complex music and also for dance and electronic. I've used my portable Pico DAC/AMP and been amazed at the big sound that I get.

That's not to say that the D7000 doesn't step up with good amplification. From the WA-6SE these things are brought to a new level, IMHO, and I get to hear just how good these headphones can be.

Apr 7, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #3,017 of 7,464
I have another question for you D7000 vets. For those of you with J Money earpads...How do you like them? I'm super intrested in a pair, but I'm a little afraid of one thing in particular I've heard. I love my bass impact, and I've heard that these reduce that (I assume because it moves the driver farther from your ear). I can understand that, but how much does it change the bass impact vs the overall positive changes? Are they still worth it? I listen to mainly Electronic music.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3,018 of 7,464
I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the D7000 with the E9, over the Schiit Lyr. The E9 has a definite edge on midrange forwardness and treble bite. The D7000 is noticeably livelier with the E9 than the Lyr. Bass is deep and focused on both amps, though the Lyr maks the bass even more tight and controlled (though less prominent), I honestly don't see why new pads would be necessary if using the Lyr. The Lyr's edge is in making the D7000 sound more organic and realistic, at the expense of some fun aggressiveness. Two slightly different sounding amps with the D7000, both stellar.

I think IF you want a more balanced sound, the Lyr would be great, and perhaps the J$ pads would bring out more of the midrange, which I find lacking only with the Lyr, no matter what source I use compared to the E9. The Lyr's treble is rich, but not as edgy as I'd like. Personal preference. I'm sure a lot would prefer the treble on the Lyr.

If you want a more aggressive tone to the D7000, the E9 is it, though admittedly not as realistic as the Lyr.

Get the D7000 first. If you feel it lacks something, THEN get the J$ pads.

I'd get the pads specifically for the Lyr, but I feel the bass is already perfect in that setup, and subduing it more might make the D7000 more balance than I'd like.

Again, I don't find one better than the other with the D7000, just two different sounds, and I have a personal preference with the E9 sound for the D7000 in particular.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:25 AM Post #3,019 of 7,464

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but I prefer the D7000 with the E9, over the Schiit Lyr. The E9 has a definite edge on midrange forwardness and treble bite. The D7000 is noticeably livelier with the E9 than the Lyr. Bass is deep and focused on both amps, though the Lyr maks the bass even more tight and controlled (though less prominent), I honestly don't see why new pads would be necessary if using the Lyr. The Lyr's edge is in making the D7000 sound more organic and realistic, at the expense of some fun aggressiveness. Two slightly different sounding amps with the D7000, both stellar.

I think IF you want a more balanced sound, the Lyr would be great, and perhaps the J$ pads would bring out more of the midrange, which I find lacking only with the Lyr, no matter what source I use compared to the E9. The Lyr's treble is rich, but not as edgy as I'd like. Personal preference. I'm sure a lot would prefer the treble on the Lyr.

If you want a more aggressive tone to the D7000, the E9 is it, though admittedly not as realistic as the Lyr.

Get the D7000 first. If you feel it lacks something, THEN get the J$ pads.

I'd get the pads specifically for the Lyr, but I feel the bass is already perfect in that setup, and subduing it more might make the D7000 more balance than I'd like.

Again, I don't find one better than the other with the D7000, just two different sounds, and I have a personal preference with the E9 sound for the D7000 in particular.

I just loved the idea of Lambskin leather earpads. lol. I'll wait on the pads then until i get a better idea of what the cans sound like.

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #3,020 of 7,464
Honestly, I want the J$ pads myself for the wrong reasons. I want it because it apparently stays cooler than the stock pads which heat up too much for my liking (hence why I need a velour padded headphone to sub for my D7000). If the J$ pads didn't subdue the bass, I'd have bought it probably in the same week I bought the D7000. Wish I could try them out...

Apr 7, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #3,021 of 7,464

Quote:
Honestly, I want the J$ pads myself for the wrong reasons. I want it because it apparently stays cooler than the stock pads which heat up too much for my liking (hence why I need a velour padded headphone to sub for my D7000). If the J$ pads didn't subdue the bass, I'd have bought it probably in the same week I bought the D7000. Wish I could try them out...

I wish I could try them as well. It's not a big investment, but 70 bucks is 70 bucks for them to possibly just sit to the side. Then again, you could FS them I suppose.

Apr 7, 2011 at 2:27 AM Post #3,022 of 7,464
I had several folks at our recent meet comment (positively) on how my stock D7k's sounded with my DAC1-Pre. While they sounded excellent with much of the other equipment I paired it with that day (and there was some pretty amazing stuff there!), I kept coming back to my DAC1 and finding the sound most to my liking. Maybe it was my files as well... but maybe not. There just seems to be great synergy with this combo... but it's a pricey one.

Congrats on your purchase, and yeah, I'd own them for a while before modding in any way. And let them break in. They will change.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #3,023 of 7,464

Quote:
I have another question for you D7000 vets. For those of you with J Money earpads...How do you like them? I'm super intrested in a pair, but I'm a little afraid of one thing in particular I've heard. I love my bass impact, and I've heard that these reduce that (I assume because it moves the driver farther from your ear). I can understand that, but how much does it change the bass impact vs the overall positive changes? Are they still worth it? I listen to mainly Electronic music.

I love my J$ pads. They do not reduce the bass impact; but noticeably widen the soundstage. I thought they were worth the upgrade, others may not.

Apr 7, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #3,024 of 7,464
I love my J$ pads. They do not reduce the bass impact; but noticeably widen the soundstage. I thought they were worth the upgrade, others may not.

Don't lie to me! :D

When you say that, you make me wanna order it asap.

I don't care about soundstage as much as everyone else, but bass impact, and detail clarity is.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:14 AM Post #3,026 of 7,464
I also much prefer the D7000 with the J$ pads, myself.  They still have PLENTY of bass this way, and I think they sound better overall. 

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #3,027 of 7,464
Well if you don't care about the soundstage I wouldn't get them. However, they do not reduce the bass or change the detail.

Actually that sounds great. Like I mentioned earlier, I want them because they stay cooler than the stock pads. That alone is worth it for me, lol. So the fact that it only changes soundstage for you is great, as I don't really want anything else taken away to add somewhere else.

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #3,028 of 7,464
Just note that they are a lot bigger than the stock pads so they will make your bulky headphones ever bulkier 
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #3,029 of 7,464
Do you have the V3? I heard they aren't as thick as the previous versions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back