Denon AH-D7000
Apr 9, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #3,091 of 7,460
I listened to them with J$ pads (and recabled) and compared to mine I was hard pressed to hear a "significant" difference.  Had about 20 minutes of listening time on my own equipment and on my own audio tracks.  Just my personal thoughts...

Apr 10, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #3,092 of 7,460

Quote:
Aemefford, looks like you are leaving the 7k camp from your recent FS post?

Um, yeah... what gives? You're selling a 'spare' set, right? 
eek.gif

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM Post #3,093 of 7,460
I am considering leaving...  My job is currently long hours, and I have a loving wife and a six year old who both love my attention.  Not a lot of time for a bedside/desktop rig.  I recently received my 1964 Ears quads, and for some D7000 aficionados, the sound signature is close enough to replace the D7000.  The bass is very similar in tone and timbre, and in some cases has similar power, in others, it doesn't quite have the visceral head rattling ability that the D7000's have when required.  The Quads are also just a tiny bit rolled off on top, which is ok by me.  I can EQ in just a touch of top end if required (side note for touch and iphone users - EQu and Equalizer are awesome apps.).

Anyway, I am looking to sell my desktop rig as a unit, at least for now.  Everyone wants my D7000's, but the headroom gear is another story.  It is excellent gear, but is not flavor of the month here, so it only goes when someone is looking for it, as I was when I bought it.

I figure if someone will take the whole rig, it liberates some $$$, some desktop space.  If not, I end up spending a few weeks trying to sell he headroom gear, and not have my D7000's to listen to while I do it.

So... Considering leaving, a bit reluctantly, in favor of a more compact and portable solution - currently a Touch 4G, Leckerton UHA-4, quads and a soon to arrive pair of HD25-1's.

None of them will replace the wonder that is the D7000, but I'll get to listen to them more, which makes them a bit better for me for now.

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #3,094 of 7,460

Quote:
I am considering leaving...  My job is currently long hours, and I have a loving wife and a six year old who both love my attention.  Not a lot of time for a bedside/desktop rig.  I recently received my 1964 Ears quads, and for some D7000 aficionados, the sound signature is close enough to replace the D7000.  The bass is very similar in tone and timbre, and in some cases has similar power, in others, it doesn't quite have the visceral head rattling ability that the D7000's have when required.  The Quads are also just a tiny bit rolled off on top, which is ok by me.  I can EQ in just a touch of top end if required (side note for touch and iphone users - EQu and Equalizer are awesome apps.).

Anyway, I am looking to sell my desktop rig as a unit, at least for now.  Everyone wants my D7000's, but the headroom gear is another story.  It is excellent gear, but is not flavor of the month here, so it only goes when someone is looking for it, as I was when I bought it.

I figure if someone will take the whole rig, it liberates some $$$, some desktop space.  If not, I end up spending a few weeks trying to sell he headroom gear, and not have my D7000's to listen to while I do it.

So... Considering leaving, a bit reluctantly, in favor of a more compact and portable solution - currently a Touch 4G, Leckerton UHA-4, quads and a soon to arrive pair of HD25-1's.

None of them will replace the wonder that is the D7000, but I'll get to listen to them more, which makes them a bit better for me for now.

Well you can always come back, and you've got some good gear to hold you over!  I find the same pull between finding listening time and spending time with family.  Sometimes it makes me question if I "need" some of the gear I have. 

Funny how the FOTM rolls... That Headroom setup you have is very nice. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #3,095 of 7,460
I just hate how ugly the headroom stuff is. It's just a black box. I was considering it for awhile but Headroom vs Yulong or Schiit it just doesn't catch my eye. I will admit to being shallow with my audio gear, but I also look for function. It's not ALL about looks, but if I'm spending a few hundred bucks on it, I want it to look pretty too.

Well you can always come back, and you've got some good gear to hold you over!  I find the same pull between finding listening time and spending time with family.  Sometimes it makes me question if I "need" some of the gear I have. 

Funny how the FOTM rolls... That Headroom setup you have is very nice. 

Apr 10, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #3,097 of 7,460
I like some form of pleasing aesthetics. The Headroom stuff is very utalitarian and just doesn't mesh well with my taste. I'm sure it sounds epic though.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #3,099 of 7,460
I mean, just look at a D100/A100 stack next to a Headroom combo. They both sound great, but one is just...a black blob on your desk. I want to like it...I just can't get over my shallow-ness. lol

I like some form of pleasing aesthetics. The Headroom stuff is very utalitarian and just doesn't mesh well with my taste. I'm sure it sounds epic though.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #3,100 of 7,460

Quote:

For sure, eyes of the beholder on all this stuff.  I think there is nothing wrong with getting gear you like the looks of, as long as you keep the ultimate goal in mind, which you all are!

Complete speculation here... from listening to other Headroom gear and the D7000's on quite a few amps now... I am guessing the 7's pair VERY nicely with this rig.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #3,101 of 7,460
I do really want to try out some of the high end Headroom stuff sometime, I just can't see myself ever buying any. I'm sure it sounds amazing.

For sure, eyes of the beholder on all this stuff.  I think there is nothing wrong with getting gear you like the looks of, as long as you keep the ultimate goal in mind, which you all are!

Complete speculation here... from listening to other Headroom gear and the D7000's on quite a few amps now... I am guessing the 7's pair VERY nicely with this rig.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #3,102 of 7,460

Quote:

Yes it does. I paired my balanced LA2000 with it and it was very good. Performance is close to my Apache

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:29 PM Post #3,103 of 7,460

I filled up my stand with the D7000...I think I'm done for a while.

Apr 10, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #3,105 of 7,460
What jronan2. That set of cans looks almost like the exact same setup I will have! I told myself that if the HE-4 doesn't work out for me, I'm gonna get the DT990s agaian or maybe wait for the T1 (with a lot of wishing), and you know I'm still considering the Pro 900. The M50s are in the next room, though they ain't mine anymore. :D

We have similar tastes my friend!

I need a stand like that though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back