Denon AH-D7000 Appreciation Society
Jul 17, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #496 of 565
Let's keep this thread moving!

I got my D7000 three weeks ago in a trade for an Ultrasone Sig Pro - yes, I feel I did good.  It was a fair trade but I much prefer the D7000's.  Listened to them for a few days and having experienced the Lawton mods on my D2000's, felt the bass was a bit loose on the D7K, so off to Mark Lawton they went.  Had him do the damping mod and add the angle pads, got the phones back last Thursday.  Have not been able to put them down since.  These phones are flat amazing in all aspects but now the bass is just incredible.  And the comfort!  Well, compared to the Sig Pro there is no comparison.  These I can leave on for hours. 

The difference versus stock is too much to explain and I know this isn't a Lawton mod thread but in my case and my opinion it made these phones go from great to amazing.  Well worth the $ to me, and now feel like I have my ultimate headphone.  Compared to my D2000, it is for sure better - not a huge improvement but nonetheless better.  Now I can bring my D2000's to work and keep the D7000's at home at one listening station, with the D600's for home office duty.

I like Denon's by the way. 
wink_face.gif

Oh, and I drive them most of the time with vintage integrated amps or receivers (Pioneer Spec 1 pre/Spec 2 amp, Pioneer SA-7500MKII and Kenwood KA-5700 amps) and love the sound.  As someone brought up earlier, I pay no attention to the ohm resistance issue, even if it truly matters, I have my gear to use and I use it as is.  In other words, I don't worry about any "mismatches". 

Aug 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #498 of 565
Quote:
Let's keep this thread moving!

I got my D7000 three weeks ago in a trade for an Ultrasone Sig Pro - yes, I feel I did good.  It was a fair trade but I much prefer the D7000's.  Listened to them for a few days and having experienced the Lawton mods on my D2000's, felt the bass was a bit loose on the D7K, so off to Mark Lawton they went.  Had him do the damping mod and add the angle pads, got the phones back last Thursday.  Have not been able to put them down since.  These phones are flat amazing in all aspects but now the bass is just incredible.  And the comfort!  Well, compared to the Sig Pro there is no comparison.  These I can leave on for hours. 

The difference versus stock is too much to explain and I know this isn't a Lawton mod thread but in my case and my opinion it made these phones go from great to amazing.  Well worth the $ to me, and now feel like I have my ultimate headphone.  Compared to my D2000, it is for sure better - not a huge improvement but nonetheless better.  Now I can bring my D2000's to work and keep the D7000's at home at one listening station, with the D600's for home office duty.

I like Denon's by the way. 
wink_face.gif

Oh, and I drive them most of the time with vintage integrated amps or receivers (Pioneer Spec 1 pre/Spec 2 amp, Pioneer SA-7500MKII and Kenwood KA-5700 amps) and love the sound.  As someone brought up earlier, I pay no attention to the ohm resistance issue, even if it truly matters, I have my gear to use and I use it as is.  In other words, I don't worry about any "mismatches". 

At least with the D7000, any mismatching issues seems to be not very important. I drive mine with an Auditor which I think has an output impedance of almost 9ohms and they sound fantastic. A much more experienced member here explained to me that overall the frequency response is fairly flat with the D7000 and that due to this a decent amp even when it has a higher than 2ohm output impedance should not effect the sound quality anyway, and from my experience this is quite true. By the way, not sure if this achieves an equal level of bass tuning, but I found that by using very modest parametric EQing through JRiver I was able to control the bass and tighten it up quite a bit without (to my ears anyway) altering other frequencies in a noticeable way. I do a minor cut -.4db at 60hz(supposed to be the cup's resonant frequency when left stock), -.4db at the 6000hz if I remember correctly and again a -.4db cut of the 250khz band. I made sure that any bleed into other frequencies was quite small and I am very pleased with the effect, which is subtle enough, but also good enough to tackle some of the loose bass.

Aug 31, 2013 at 4:46 AM Post #500 of 565
Hi everyone,
I have a Denon j$pad that has never been used. (because I never own a Denon headphone) now is for sale.
If you have interested, please pm me.
I will post thread about this soon.

Thank you.

Oct 28, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #503 of 565
The D7000 is my favorite full size dynamic headphone.  Vid of my playing with it below.  Warning, gratuitous nude shots of the innards of the Denon D-7000 ahead.  Please like and comment.

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #504 of 565
I bought a pair of d7000's used from a member here.  Performed the dynamat mod, it is fantastic.  Some of the screws were missing that hold the cup to the frame, so I checked with Lawton to see how much a set of replacement screws would be.  He basically told me he wouldn't sell them to me unless I was buying some other mod from him, and the screws are impossible to find. 
rolleyes.gif

Spent a bit of time measuring and ordered a few different sized screws from McMaster Carr.  I found a screw that is a tiny bit wider than the stock screws, with a slightly finer thread, which is good for me since the screw holes were a bit stripped from the previous owners' messing around. These screwed in great, held tight, and the headphones are back to 100% now.

If anyone is looking for replacement screws for their pair, let me know.  I also ordered some screws to hold the driver to the cup.  Those screws I didn't really need, but figured I should find a replacement just in case.  One of the sizes I ordered should work, so if anyone needs screws, PM me.  I don't want any more money than shipping cost for them

Dec 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM Post #505 of 565
  I bought a pair of d7000's used from a member here.  Performed the dynamat mod, it is fantastic.  Some of the screws were missing that hold the cup to the frame, so I checked with Lawton to see how much a set of replacement screws would be.  He basically told me he wouldn't sell them to me unless I was buying some other mod from him, and the screws are impossible to find. 
rolleyes.gif

Spent a bit of time measuring and ordered a few different sized screws from McMaster Carr.  I found a screw that is a tiny bit wider than the stock screws, with a slightly finer thread, which is good for me since the screw holes were a bit stripped from the previous owners' messing around. These screwed in great, held tight, and the headphones are back to 100% now.

If anyone is looking for replacement screws for their pair, let me know.  I also ordered some screws to hold the driver to the cup.  Those screws I didn't really need, but figured I should find a replacement just in case.  One of the sizes I ordered should work, so if anyone needs screws, PM me.  It'd be pretty awesome to get the total cost of these down a bit (since I had to order them by the 100)

Wait, really? He sells DIY repair kits.

How do the screws look? Could you upload a picture of them? And how much do they cost?

Dec 9, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #507 of 565
Actually, upon a closer look, the other screw I ordered (driver-cup screw) is a bit longer and thicker than I'd feel comfortable using.  I'm going to give that one another shot.  The driver-frame screw I ordered is this one (stock=left, mine=right):

The screw I ordered is 
18-8 Stainless Steel Flat Head Phillips Machine Screw, 2-56 Thread, 5/16" Length

It fits nicely.  Granted, I haven't taken it apart and put it back together multiple times, but the stripped stock screw sockets are not a problem with the small amount of added girth

Dec 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #509 of 565
Fav closed back cans I've heard. Went on a demoing spree and tried Beyer T5p and DT 880 (600 ohm), Senn 650 and Momentum, Denon D2000 and D5000. The Denon D7000's blew all the closed backs away, and, from my perspective, rocked most of the open-back designs too. Warm, lush, enthusiastic sound from these babies. Not to mention they've got some sweet retro styling. I pair em with some corduroy slacks, turtle neck, and the Bill Evans Trio :)

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #510 of 565
  Fav closed back cans I've heard. Went on a demoing spree and tried Beyer T5p and DT 880 (600 ohm), Senn 650 and Momentum, Denon D2000 and D5000. The Denon D7000's blew all the closed backs away, and, from my perspective, rocked most of the open-back designs too. Warm, lush, enthusiastic sound from these babies. Not to mention they've got some sweet retro styling. I pair em with some corduroy slacks, turtle neck, and the Bill Evans Trio :)

LOL! perfect pairing! The D7000's really are hard to beat IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back