Denon ah-d5000 pricing
Mar 21, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #46 of 57

Quote:
Quick question for any d5k owners in this thread... assuming you could get the d5k for under $400, and the Senn hd650 for about $350, which would you guys consider to be the best overall quality item?

If you had to pick one of those two to live with for the next year or so (or for a lifetime), which would you choose?

I would definitely choose D5000, while i paid $500 for mine, if bass quality is important especially noticeable when listening to jazz, classical and some electronic

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:32 PM Post #48 of 57

Quote:
People say the hd650 is a bassy headphone. Is that not true?

Not compared to the D5000/D7000.  Compared to something like the K701, yeah.

Edit:  I liked the sound of the K701 (but it hurt to wear) better than the sound of the HD650, for what it is worth.  The HD650 is still a great headphone and you won't really regret it if that is what you choose.

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #49 of 57

Quote:

Bassy usually means BOOMBOX like bass which absolutely NOT TRUE about about both HD650 nd D5000 .Both have punchy, tight not overpowering well controlled bass but D5000 bass has more depth, textures and details usually noticeable on jazz or symphonic orchestra recordings
People said same about D5000 too but as i discovered they meant quality not quantity so if you looking for audiophile quality bass D5000 are for you

Mar 22, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #53 of 57

Quote:

Heya,

I find the HD650 to only be a little more bassy than the HD600 (HD580). It's mostly mid-bass too. Then simply dim the treble down, it makes it sound warmer, as the treble is softer and the mid-bass is a touch higher. It's not super pronounced like a "V" headphone though. Overall, I didn't think the HD650 was that bassy, it still sounds relatively balanced, not like a bassy headphone. I also found it quite boring though too, as I prefer a little more sparkle in the treble. It's impact is not there, but no open headphone has the impact of a closed headphone. The HD650 has a weird scaling issue with amplification too, it will work with nearly anything, but it seems to be a different headphone for some people on very specific amplifiers. I tried it in a bunch of different ones, but never had that "wow, it came alive!" experience, and I'm not willing to buy a bunch of amps to test it at this point, so I much prefer using headphones that are great without dedicated select gear.

Very best,

Mar 22, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #54 of 57
 I tried it in a bunch of different ones, but never had that "wow, it came alive!" experience, and I'm not willing to buy a bunch of amps to test it at this point, so I much prefer using headphones that are great without dedicated select gear.

And this is why I will never buy the hd6xx. I just don't want to keep chasing down the magic amp for this hp...

Mar 22, 2012 at 10:16 PM Post #55 of 57

Quote:
 I tried it in a bunch of different ones, but never had that "wow, it came alive!" experience, and I'm not willing to buy a bunch of amps to test it at this point, so I much prefer using headphones that are great without dedicated select gear.

And this is why I will never buy the hd6xx. I just don't want to keep chasing down the magic amp for this hp...

So I guess the d5k/d7k "comes alive" without an amp... or with pretty much any amp?

Mar 22, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #56 of 57

Quote:
So I guess the d5k/d7k "comes alive" without an amp... or with pretty much any amp?

My D5000 are driven by headphones amp built-in into Xonar STX (no external amp or any plans to get one) and like them. Next week planing to choose and buy vinyl record playback which likely gonna have phono preamp with built headphones amp so after i try what is better match i will decide if i gonna keep or sell HD650 but D5000 will be for computer audio setup for sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back