Denon AH-D2000 - worth the risk?? HELP!
Feb 14, 2012 at 3:09 AM Post #151 of 161
How big of a difference is the D7k from the D5k? Bigger SS and better extension? Or is everything just vastly improved?

You can hear a noticeable difference in upper and mid bass, the D5000 has more of it. It isn't bad at all, it just isn't as neutral. While listening I kept wanting to adjust an EQ to tone it down a little. The highs weren't as fluid as on the D7ks either. It may be heresy, but I think the D2ks, overall, sound better than the D5ks. :eek:

Feb 14, 2012 at 3:54 AM Post #152 of 161

Quote:
How big of a difference is the D7k from the D5k? Bigger SS and better extension? Or is everything just vastly improved?

Quote:
You can hear a noticeable difference in upper and mid bass, the D5000 has more of it. It isn't bad at all, it just isn't as neutral. While listening I kept wanting to adjust an EQ to tone it down a little. The highs weren't as fluid as on the D7ks either. It may be heresy, but I think the D2ks, overall, sound better than the D5ks.
eek.gif

No heresy, as far as I can tell.  Far be it from me to tell you what sounds good to you.

Plus, I'm encouraged by comments like those.  The D2000s have really turned out to be the best investment (value wise) that I've made throughout this entire foray.  Well, the D2000s and the Atrio M5s.  Those things are way underpriced, even at full MSRP.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:52 PM Post #153 of 161
RECABLE! Get a mogami, jenna, zysonic doesn't matter, but recabling makes the D2000 sound a good bit better. Sounds a little brighter in the beginning but its overall for clear. All I need now is wooden cups and Jmoney pads.

Feb 19, 2012 at 2:37 PM Post #154 of 161
I just got the AH-D2000 for $200 by calling J&R. No negotiating required, of course, they're having a weekend sale for President's Day. He said I was in luck; they just got them in.

Look at this, second post in 5 years! Now back to lurking.

Feb 19, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #155 of 161

Quote:
I just got the AH-D2000 for $200 by calling J&R. No negotiating required, of course, they're having a weekend sale for President's Day. He said I was in luck; they just got them in.

Look at this, second post in 5 years! Now back to lurking.

LOL...welcome back and good score at $200!! I am listening to mine now and am very very happy. This sound signature is certainly a good fit for me. I've had mine for about three weeks. After week two, I added a asus stx card and it took these cans to a new level. They can be driven quite easily, but they have legs for more with a proper dac/amp. I did not burn mine in as they just sounded too damned good out of the box. I must be hitting some kind of sweet spot on play time because they seem to be better over the course of the last day or two.  Great purchase and a great price at $200...

Feb 19, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #156 of 161

Quote:
LOL...welcome back and good score at $200!! I am listening to mine now and am very very happy. This sound signature is certainly a good fit for me. I've had mine for about three weeks. After week two, I added a asus stx card and it took these cans to a new level. They can be driven quite easily, but they have legs for more with a proper dac/amp. I did not burn mine in as they just sounded too damned good out of the box. I must be hitting some kind of sweet spot on play time because they seem to be better over the course of the last day or two.  Great purchase and a great price at $200...

Haha burn-in ultimately can't be avoided. . . Enjoy the process, I found mine sounded better and better every day for the first six months i owned them.  After a while there is no sibilance and the V-shaped frequency response really flattens out

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #157 of 161
From what i have gathered the 2000's are more flat across the spectrum thus being better for monitoring work, either studio or live (more natural sounding)  and the 5000's and up are more suited for audiophile hi-fi listening where the sound is richer and 'glorified' somewhat.

both beautiful headphones, just depends on your application..

2000 - natural, good replication of the artists (or shall i say mastering engineers) wanted sound and true representation at a FOH position.

5000 and up - more forgiving, improved bass response, richer sound

please, I may be wrong, just thought I would throw my ideas in, anyone else, agree ? disagree?

thank you.

p.s. sorry if this has been discussed prior, just tailing the end of this thread

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #158 of 161

Quote:
From what i have gathered the 2000's are more flat across the spectrum thus being better for monitoring work, either studio or live (more natural sounding)  and the 5000's and up are more suited for audiophile hi-fi listening where the sound is richer and 'glorified' somewhat.

both beautiful headphones, just depends on your application..

2000 - natural, good replication of the artists (or shall i say mastering engineers) wanted sound and true representation at a FOH position.

5000 and up - more forgiving, improved bass response, richer sound

please, I may be wrong, just thought I would throw my ideas in, anyone else, agree ? disagree?

thank you.

p.s. sorry if this has been discussed prior, just tailing the end of this thread

sorry. completely disagree. the denon would be horrible for any studio work, they are colored and have boosted bass + treble. they are good headphones, but for any sort of mastering, not recommended.... you typically want headphones that are as neutral as possible so that they don't add any coloration to the music.

the denon d5000 are very similar to the d2000 but better.

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #159 of 161

Quote:
sorry. completely disagree. the denon would be horrible for any studio work, they are colored and have boosted bass + treble. they are good headphones, but for any sort of mastering, not recommended.... you typically want headphones that are as neutral as possible so that they don't add any coloration to the music.

agreed.
unless you're completely used to the way the denons sound and can approximate where they fall when mastering.
i tried using them while recording something live. i boosted vocals because they sounded behind the instruments. when i took off the headphones and listened to the live sound to compare, the vocals were overly exaggerated.

my point again. if you know exactly where the denons places every type of sound you need for mastering/monitoring in comparison to what they actually sound like, then the denons COULD work. otherwise, attempt it and witness your failure. :)

Feb 24, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #160 of 161
OK, track mastering applications aside, is it safe to say that the d2000 is more neutral and closer to source than the d5000?

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #161 of 161
OK, track mastering applications aside, is it safe to say that the d2000 is more neutral and closer to source than the d5000?

Yes. D7000>D2000>D5000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back