Denon AH-D2000 - worth the risk?? HELP!
Jan 1, 2012 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 161

Matty87

New Head-Fier
Hi guys

I've been stalking these forums for quite some time now looking for guidance in making (in my sad opinion anyway) a big decision of whether or not I should purchase the Denon AH-D2000's or not. I have done a ridiculous amount of research and reading on these to the point that my stomach turns when I start Googling about them again.
Basically, I own the Sennheiser HD25-1-ii's and love these, perfect for portable use, however I've always really wanted good, comfortable circumaural headphones with punchy bass.
I've read so many reviews on these and there are SO MANY conflicting reports on the issues with build quality and reliability.
This scares me to death as I live in Australia and can envision messy warranty policies and problems if something goes wrong. If I bought these I would be buying them direct from Amazon.
The biggest problem with these appears to be weak screws breaking and/or coming loose. I know with my luck that if I buy these and wait for the screws to fall out, I'd lose the pieces needed to fix them again. Is there a way to prevent these screws falling out, or preventative action that can be taken to make them more stable or stronger?
I'm sick of drooling over these and watching and reading all sorts of reviews. Please help me with my decision. I've asked countless people but I wouldn't be able to get the sort of advice like I can get off here anywhere else. I've joined up especially to ask this question.

I guess my main concerns are:

1) what can I do about the screws and are there step by step guides in pictures or even better video out there (unfortunately Youtube has yielded no results).
2) what would the warranty be like if purchased direct from Amazon, or is there another way I can get them repaired if something goes wrong?
3) is this a problem that only effects a small amount of users?
4) is the risk not worth it for $400 give or take?

Thanks guys. Usually I would just take the plunge but I'm paying quite a bit in rent lately and don't get a chance to spend this kind of money on myself very often at all so I just want to make as educated a decision as I can.

Thanks again, any help is much appreciated :xf_eek:

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 161
First off, welcome to head-fi. Sorry about your wallet.

#1. Retail at amazon on the AHD2k's is crazy. Look in the "deals" thread. There was recently a 199 deal. Shop around. I think the 2k's are one of the more undervalued (Price wise) cans around, but 400 is well too steep.

#2. I have never had a problem with my 2k's, and they have been though quite a bit. Maybe some other people could answer this a lilttle better than me, but the screw problem seems to be pretty easy to fix if you have common sence, if it even happens to you.

Get the 2k's. They are a GREAT deal. But dont pay 4 bills for them.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #3 of 161
I had the D2000s for a year or two (it was a while ago), never had any issues with them coming apart as some users report - they did develop a slight "rattle" to them though (and I took them apart down to metal, and couldn't find what was wrong). You had to shake them fairly violently to hear it, and it didn't affect their performance in any way (the sound did not change). I can absolutely see how you could destroy them by being careless.

Since then, they've moved on (I didn't like the sound; even fully open, and they never fit "perfectly" for me) - I recently got my hands on a pair of Kenwood KH-K1000 direct from Japan, and I will say they feel substantially better put together. I could not honestly tell you about the sound quality differences - a lot of reviews put the K1000 on the level of the D5000, or better, while commenting on the less boomy/bloaty bass. I like the K1000 enough to keep it (there's actually a very small number of headphones I would put head-and-shoulders above it; even at higher price points) - it was an absolute shot in the dark though, and I (again) cannot give you a direct comparison. 

Overall, I think you'd be fine with the D2000, as long as you're using them at home in a normal situation (what they're designed for). If you mean to walk around town or cycle with them on - honestly disregard everything you've read (including my post and the Kenwoods) and go get something designed for that. The Denons will completely fall apart if you're "hard" on them (and I hesitate to say "hard" because what most users consider "normal" I consider "abusive"!).

My bigger complaint with the D2000 was the cord - very twisty and wanted to knot and coil up all the time. Worse than any other headphone I've ever used (aside from the six-conductor coiled cable that my old electrostats had; that was a true nightmare).

::EDIT
I'd like to point out to the first respondent, nmxdaven, that the original poster is in Australia. The markets are entirely different and availability/pricing is a dramatic departure from anything you're used to State-side. 

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 161

Quote:
I had the D2000s for a year or two (it was a while ago), never had any issues with them coming apart as some users report - they did develop a slight "rattle" to them though (and I took them apart down to metal, and couldn't find what was wrong). You had to shake them fairly violently to hear it, and it didn't affect their performance in any way (the sound did not change). I can absolutely see how you could destroy them by being careless.

Since then, they've moved on (I didn't like the sound; even fully open, and they never fit "perfectly" for me) - I recently got my hands on a pair of Kenwood KH-K1000 direct from Japan, and I will say they feel substantially better put together. I could not honestly tell you about the sound quality differences - a lot of reviews put the K1000 on the level of the D5000, or better, while commenting on the less boomy/bloaty bass. I like the K1000 enough to keep it (there's actually a very small number of headphones I would put head-and-shoulders above it; even at higher price points) - it was an absolute shot in the dark though, and I (again) cannot give you a direct comparison. 

Overall, I think you'd be fine with the D2000, as long as you're using them at home in a normal situation (what they're designed for). If you mean to walk around town or cycle with them on - honestly disregard everything you've read (including my post and the Kenwoods) and go get something designed for that. The Denons will completely fall apart if you're "hard" on them (and I hesitate to say "hard" because what most users consider "normal" I consider "abusive"!).

My bigger complaint with the D2000 was the cord - very twisty and wanted to knot and coil up all the time. Worse than any other headphone I've ever used (aside from the six-conductor coiled cable that my old electrostats had; that was a true nightmare).

**Btw I love your avatar**

I have to agree with that. They are made for desk use for sure. If you are planning on making these part of a portable rig look elsewhere.

I actually like the cable. Seems sturdy and relativly painless to use. But then again, I dont use it in its full length.

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 161
Hey guys, thanks so much for the immediate replies!!

Damn :frowning2: I would be using them as portable sometimes. So might not be the best fit for me. I was looking at the ATH M50 quite seriously as well as they seem tough and seem to be in top ten lists EVERYWHERE! I'm worried they mightn't fit all the way around my ears though, that's why I'm so intrigued by the Denon's...

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 161
Do the ATH-M50's fit around the whole of the ear for most users? Do they have clean, punchy bass?

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #7 of 161
Oh I didn't mean to imply the cable wasn't sturdy - it just wants to naturally make the shape your image shows. It can get interesting if it falls on the floor and gets tangled in the wheels of a chair, or gets in with other cables, or similar. Contrast this to something like the Sennheiser HD 580/600 cable, which is about as limp as spaghetti and will lie flat all by itself. I would believe the Denon cable to be sturdier than that though. Thank you for the kind words about Mr Scott.

Quote:
**Btw I love your avatar**

I have to agree with that. They are made for desk use for sure. If you are planning on making these part of a portable rig look elsewhere.

I actually like the cable. Seems sturdy and relativly painless to use. But then again, I dont use it in its full length.

To the question about ATH-M50s - can't help you there, never heard them. I have used one of the lessor AT studio models; I was unimpressed and very much annoyed that I didn't have my in-ears with me at the time. I don't know about the M50s though. I would absolutely avoid the Denons for mobile usage - they don't clamp/seal to your head very firmly (so they can fall off), and the headband is likely to be destroyed from a lot of rough usage (for example, throwing them in a bag and then sitting on it - I've witnessed younger people do this with headphones (and computers!) on the train before; the Denons would probably survive that one time). 

The Sennheiser studio headphones (the 280) are fairly well put together, at least from my time with them, they might be worth looking at. They also clamp to your head, and are unlikely to fall off during mobile use. They probably aren't an "upgrade" from the HD-25 though. Perhaps the HD-25 could be your mobile can, and the Denons could stay at home? (I honestly can't think of a single headphone that is the Denons equal or better that will stand-up to continuous mobile use; some may last a bit longer, but most "high end" or "hi-fi audiophile" headphones are fairly fragile things).

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #8 of 161
If you're worried about the screws coming loose, you could always use some

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #10 of 161
An overwhelming number of people have NOT had problems with them.

I know a few people did, but trust most do NOT.  Of course the problem can seem exaggerated with forums and google as forums to speak about complaints.

I've had mine now for more than 2 years and it's been dropped a few times (by accident of course) and has been banged into stuff.

There isn't a scratch on it nor is there any indication that it's going to fall apart any time soon.  In fact, if it does now, I'd say it was a good streak.

However, make no mistake about it, these are made for home use.  If you take them around, just make sure you have a nice case to put them in.  

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #11 of 161
no way do they cost 400 bucks lol. they usually like no more than 250.

anyways im buying a pair myself tomorrow 
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #13 of 161
Never had the screw issue myself. Avoid the M50, its over-rated. The D2000 shouldn't cost you more than $250 try to find some in the for sale thread, or a US seller that will ship to Australia. 

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #14 of 161

Quote:
Never had the screw issue myself. Avoid the M50, its over-rated. The D2000 shouldn't cost you more than $250 try to find some in the for sale thread, or a US seller that will ship to Australia. 

i don't thinkthe M50's are overrated..most here don't. There are just "Better" alternatives now adays. Everyone prefers audio differently. You just didn't like the M50's

Jan 2, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #15 of 161

Quote:
i don't thinkthe M50's are overrated..most here don't

I'm not saying I agree with him, but there has been somewhat of a vocal backlash on these in the last year or so.

They're not the Head-Fi darling they once were.  I think it's related to price.  When it was a 90 dollar headphone, everyone was like OMG, THIS IS AN AWESOME BARGIN!!!, now that it's 150, people are like MEH

It was kind of like that with the Grado 60/80s a few years ago, sometimes things just run their course

Users who are viewing this thread

Back