Denon AH-D2000 - worth the risk?? HELP!
Jan 25, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #123 of 161
How much better are LCD-2s to Denons?

Compared to Denon D2000s? That's not really fair. They're not just in a different league, they aren't even playing the same sport. :p

Compared to D7000s? They each have their strengths, but they're very different cans. It's revealing vs. soothing, and IMO both sets can happily co-exist in any collection.

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #124 of 161
I was looking in getting these headphones through Amazon. Would it be okay if I bought them through the 3rd party sellers, even though I wouldn't receive the 1 year warranty? Through the 3rd party sellers it is around $280 but Amazon is selling it at $349. Is the 1 year warranty worth spending the $70 or so extra? Would it be better to wait it out a bit for Amazon's price to lower?

Thanks!

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #125 of 161
You have many more options than Amazon in this case with these headphones. Just do some searching for "D2000 price" on these forums and Google. You can find some open-box with full warranty on Electronic Expo for $200.

Jan 30, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #127 of 161

Quote:
You have many more options than Amazon in this case with these headphones. Just do some searching for "D2000 price" on these forums and Google. You can find some open-box with full warranty on Electronic Expo for $200.

The open box one also has the 1 Year warranty! It is basically a steal.

Jan 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #128 of 161
I guess I forgot to mention in my post but the reason I wanted to go thru Amazon is because I have a unused gift card with Amazon. But I guess my question was more about the 1 year warranty. It seems like there is a pretty good chance that I wouldn't have any issues (famous last words). So if that is the case, would I need to spend the extra money just for the 1 year warranty?

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #129 of 161

Quote:
I guess I forgot to mention in my post but the reason I wanted to go thru Amazon is because I have a unused gift card with Amazon. But I guess my question was more about the 1 year warranty. It seems like there is a pretty good chance that I wouldn't have any issues (famous last words). So if that is the case, would I need to spend the extra money just for the 1 year warranty?

I wouldn't forsee any problems with Denon as far as what a warranty would cover at least (they're not that rugged).
Though you could buy them used from Electronics Expo and get an amp or dac from amazon with the gift card. :D

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #130 of 161

Quote:
I wouldn't forsee any problems with Denon as far as what a warranty would cover at least (they're not that rugged).
Though you could buy them used from Electronics Expo and get an amp or dac from amazon with the gift card. :D

So...I took the plunge and bought the D2000 from J&R electronics. I ended up calling and they offered me a good deal, plus I'll get the warranty if I ever need it since they are an authorized online dealer. Which means, I'll probably be using that gift card for a portable dac/amp. 
biggrin.gif
  Man, I'm so excited to get these in and try them. Thanks everyone for the advice

Jan 30, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #131 of 161
So...I took the plunge and bought the D2000 from J&R electronics. I ended up calling and they offered me a good deal, plus I'll get the warranty if I ever need it since they are an authorized online dealer. Which means, I'll probably be using that gift card for a portable dac/amp. :D   Man, I'm so excited to get these in and try them. Thanks everyone for the advice

FiiO E17. :)

Hope you enjoy those Denons, there's nothing better for <$300, IMO.

Jan 31, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #133 of 161

Quote:
How much better are LCD-2s to Denons?

I bought the D2Ks some months back, ******* loved them as they were the closest thin to Hifi I experienced in recent years, sounded fantastic every day even months after purchase. Then I get the chance to listen to the LCD2 in a music store one day, I'm not blown away at all, sure I know it sounds better but not THAT much better.
Until I get home and my D2Ks suddenly sound a lot thinner and weaker, like something is missing. Glad that's gone and I can't remember how the LCD2 sounded now.

In short they are definitely better, but don't expect a $20 headphone -> Denon 2K jump, it's much more marginal but definitely noticeable. For reference I only listened to Dire Straits and classical on the LCD2, no idea about electronic and so forth.

Jan 31, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #134 of 161
I've owned them for almost two years.  Never devoted a single thought to the cable or the whole screw issue. 

Trust me, when they're sitting on your head the last thing you'll be thinking about is a stiff cable (which isn't that bad btw) and a tiny screw.

Jan 31, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #135 of 161
with my WA6-SE, the difference between LCD-2 and D2000 is enormous. its night and day, the lcd-2 just sounds more refined in every single aspect, bass goes deeper, much more detail, improved soundstage, the imaging, the highs are smoother, the mids are so much better.

however, i like the d2000 because they are bass monsters, and while the LCD-2 definitely have good bass, the d2000 are way better in terms of bass quantity. 

of course, the lcd-2 are better in every other way. it may not be worth 5x the cost for most people, but the difference is immediately noticeable, theres just no comparing the 2, the LCD are definitely on a higher level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back