Denon AH-D2000 vs Beats pro
Jan 6, 2011 at 9:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Delta342

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm very  new to this depth of the world of headphones so I was looking for some advice.. I mostly listen to rock/metal/electronic and was looking for some pretty good closed, over ear headphones to replace my sennheiser in ears.

Now I've tried some sonys (which I thought were terrible and leaked music like you had two mini speakers attached to your ears) so I was looking for something with fantastic sound that don't leak! (I'm at uni, I like to listen to music around campus, in the library etc without people being able to hear what I'm listening to and I do like have to my music on a volume higher than a whisper..)

So far I've narrowed it to the new beats (that's NOT the studios so no batteries and metal construction this time) and the denon AH-DH2000. Any advice on which to go for? Or possibly some completely different ones?
Thanks! =D

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:08 AM Post #2 of 17
Just want to point out

http://www.amazon.com/Beats-Performance-Professional-Headphones-Monster%C2%AE/dp/B003I84KNO
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AHD5000-AH-D5000-Reference-Headphones/dp/B000MVEC10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294325991&sr=1-1

I compared the Beats Pro and Denon D5Ks side by side at the apple store, D5Ks are better. Don't know about D2Ks though been a long time since I've spent any time with them.

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 17
The beats pro's are not really suited to rock/metal music at all. The mids are recessed and the highs are rolled off.  The bass is definitely prominent on them, and the are much better suited to rap and pop music.  The bass isn't as flabby on the pro's in comparison to the lower models, but it was still a little loose sounding in comparison to other headphone's I've heard and I don't think it could keep up to metal music very well.  

This isn't a recommendation for the d2k's.  I have never heard them so I don't know how they sound with those genre's, but the beats line of headphones is just not good for anything featuring guitars.  

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM Post #6 of 17
D2000 without a doubt. Quite possibly the best headphones in the under 300 dollar category. They do most everything well, great bass and clarity. Only negative thing is the mids are a bit recessed but it doesn't detract from the listening experience.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:32 PM Post #7 of 17
Jan 6, 2011 at 12:50 PM Post #8 of 17
Last weekend I took the plunge and ordered the 2k's on a whim, based solely on online reviews and without auditioning them. I had been recently introduced to Hi-Fi by hearing beats at a best buy display, but wanted to see if any better values were available. I've gotta say I'm incredibly happy I chose the Denon's :)

Before I say much more, please be aware I am just as new to hi-fi as you are. These are my first set of cans. My "impression" is probably coming from the same level of experience as your own (so hopefully this is like getting a suggestion from the future you :) ). At the same time, I am a Penn State Engineer, so while I lack the A-B comparative perspective many members here can share,  what I believe I can offer is at least a basic idea of what constitutes a well made and poorly constructed product. My only "hi-fi" comparison points are the beats line, Audio-Tech 30's (I think thats what they were?), and these Denon's, so please take all this into consideration when taking my advice :)

Anyways, moving on:

My Current (poor man's) set ups:
Zune >D2k's
Zune 120 >Onkyo Receiver > D2k's      OR
Flac or 320kps MP3>Sound Blaster Audigy > D2k's

Can these headphones be driven at appropriate levels and SQ unAmp'd? : Yes. The SQ is good, and volume is available, even when run straight through the Zune. An amp, I speculate, could improve SQ (as I perceive a difference when passing through the Onkyo setup), so I AM seeking a 300-400 Amp/DAC set up to test the waters.

Bass: Rich, powerful, enjoyable, and NOT overwhelming (granted I'm a basshead into dub and trip hop,but not limited to that). Denon's bass is IMO not nearly as flabby as any of the Beats. IMO low frequencies are Denon's primary strong point. (Reference tracks Rusko, Massive Attack - Angel, anything with low freq's.. haha)

Mids are recessed, but less so than beat studios (I liked the studios more than the pro's SQ, but neither really compare). I believe, while these phones are mostly "accurate", they are also musical. If you are looking for enjoyable phones and only dabble in production, these phones are definitely accurate enough to accommodate both nicely. (Sounds great with Tool, My Brightest Diamond, Portishead, Radiohead)

Highs are detailed and warm. Slightly boosted, perhaps, but another of Denon's strengths (Steve Reich - Music for 18 musicians, Deadmau5 - Strobe)

Sound Stage: Can easily distinguish 3d spatial positioning (only within the realm of my own head and cup space, nothing holographic) when I pan tones in FL studio or am just listening to tracks. This phone has a good enough sound stage for me, unamped, and (from what I have read, not from experience), "d2000's have one of the best soundstages for closed cans in this price range" (End arbitrary Head-Fi reference from reading entirely too many threads).

Price: Ordered mine for 230 of amazon with free 2day shipping as a student with an edu email address (search amazon student prime) less than a week ago. Could not find any headphones I viewed as "competitors" in reviews at this price point (Except maybe senns hd 25 -II or whatever, but they seem to be a targeting different audience than denon's and beats [not to place the two together :wink:]). These are NOT $230 phones. I would have been very comfortable paying the full 339 on headphone.com (or even more) had I not come across amazon's dynamic pricing. You would deeply regret entering the 4-500 dollar range on your first purchase, especially if you chose the beats. These Denon's blow the beats out of the water and into the atmosphere (at $100 less). While I know you prob want to nail the perfect phone the first time and save money without reinvesting, I believe experimenting with less expensive phones will help you in the long run (based on my speculation on how it will effect my own headphone future).

Build - Solid construction (I'm an engineer that appreciates well made things 
smily_headphones1.gif
 ). 

Comfort - Yes. (Just take it as that, trust me) Perhaps I'd even want a tighter seal with my pads... (maybe j$ pads down the road...)

Weight - they're full size phones, and weigh what well made, full sized phones probably should weigh.

Sound Leakage: Beats probably beat (ha) the denon's here. I was a little surprised how much they leaked, but don't take it to be a deal breaker by ANY stretch of the imagination unless you have a bomb strapped to you that will go off if ambient noise reaches 10dB's or some other extenuating circumstance.

Sound Isolation: I think beats have some auto-noise cancel going on... so I guess they would be superior in that aspect too. You have bigger fish to fry, trust me.

Again: I am new to hi-fi equipment, too. But as an initial impression, I am entirely happy with these phones for the price I paid and for even up to about 150 theoretical dollars more. I believe beats contain little "added-value" for their price point, and are predominantly inflated by VERY effective marketing. (I'm happy they got the "Hi-Fi" idea out to me... they just didn't get my money for their hard work:wink: )

Conclusion: Well made, delicious sounding entry level phones for a budding audiophile with room to improve when properly amped and sourced. If sound leakage/isolation is a problem for you, neither the beats nor the denon's are probably for you. The difference between the two is so little in the terms of sound isolation/leakage, that it should be considered negligible, but the ENORMOUS divide in all other qualitative aspects is complete unignorable. In terms of quantitative things: price. Save your money for a better phone down the road when you better understand your needs. (you might not even want a better phone!)

One last thing: In terms of sound signature:
Those in the markets for Beats would definitely be interested in denon's, but those in the market for denon's would not be interested in beat's. :) I'm not even going to censor that with an "imo." It's virtually fact.

Hope that helped...

--Mercer

Edit: Also I def agree with ArmAndHammer's fix.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 17
I agree! I don't know why anyone would buy Dr. Dre Beats. I guess its a marketing hype. I guess it the same reason why i have two pairs of Bose headphones that i paid too much for thinking i was getting quality because of the price. At that time i didn't know of any of these forums, etc...The advertisements for good headphones is not there and the public are buying what is popular and stylish at that time. What ever is at Best buy and cost the most is the best! Not!

Anyways, the Denons are in fact a great set of phones for the money! Dont forget about the Shure840, and Grado325is. 

my2cents

Rivers

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #10 of 17
I was typing in this HUGE post about the Bowers & Wilkins P5 - which I think you should try - on my cellphone and it decided to get really really hot after I pushed the "Submit" button and finally decided to crash and reboot. Post lost. Nice.

I'll be back later today on why you should try them and some thoughts of mine regarding the blatant difference regarding the mostly positive reviews in the press but the mostly mixed up to bad reviews on this forum... Have to hurry though, breaks almost over, as I said, later...

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #11 of 17
I'm not gonna rag on the beats because I have never heard them but I can vouch for the Denons, I use the D2K's on my laptop (foobar and WMP) with no amp and they sound great.

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:56 PM Post #12 of 17

actually the D2000/D5000 are not good for rock/metal. Too much bass guitar may cause problem (distortion) for this slow bass can. I recommend HD650 instead. However D2000/D5000 are good for anything else.

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:
actually the D2000/D5000 are not good for rock/metal. Too much bass guitar may cause problem (distortion) for this slow bass can. I recommend HD650 instead. However D2000/D5000 are good for anything else.

My D2000s are just fine for rock and metal.

To the OP, I was actually surprised at how the Beats Pros sounded when I listened to them. But, at $400, my D2000s still sounded noticeably better at almost half the cost.

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 17
I sometimes think of the d2000s as a "semi open" phone, cause it just leaks noise like no other closed headphone i've ever seen. It might not be right for you, since you mentioned noise leakage was very important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back