Denon AH-D2000 Question + Advice on a amp to power the denons
Aug 30, 2011 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

MarketMarksman

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, Im stepping into the audiophile scene and need advice because i dont know anything lol, I recently purchased Denon AH-D2000 headphones and run them directly to my laptop but when the vocals hit, they start hissing when the singer says a S word. Its really bad when a female singer sings, My Denons have about 18 hours of burn in. Is it my laptop doing this or my phones, or is it my ears idk.

Im also looking for a good headphone amp/DAC that mates really well with the denons for 150$-250$, hopefully a amp that hits good with bass.

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 42
They don't need a amp.

What, at 24ohm, that's NOTHING

You could probably listen to your heartbeat if you stick the plug in your mouth, that's how low then need power

A FiiO E7 doesn't hurt as a DAC
Or THIS

Aug 30, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 42

Quote:
the denons are quiet on my laptop, volume 90 and still not lively. and the vocals are hissing and idk why.

Then your Laptop's MoBo sound interface sucks

any of the two I listed would help you through the USB interface to bypass your MoBo

Short:
MORE VOLUME with FiiO E9

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #5 of 42
I have a big enough budget, i was hoping to find a amp/dac that would plug into the wall rather than use power from usb, I am running a laptop after all. I dont think the power supply would handle it.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:29 AM Post #7 of 42
BotByte, have you owned the D2000? No offense, but it seems like lately you've been giving advice for amps and headphones you possibly don't own or have heard.
Sure, the D2000 doesn't need an amp, but 100% for sure benefits from one. For me, there was definitely a large enough benefit going from not-amped to amped.
The D2000 IMO loves desktop amps. I hated the D2000 without one.

My favorite amp for the D2000 was the Asgard, but that may be overkill unless you plan on trying other headphones.

Of course it sounds like you may also need a DAC too, but an amp is also suggested. I'd start with an amp.
The Total Airhead is a good place or start or even the E9 would be good. With the E9 you can even get the E7 for use as a DAC.

Aug 30, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #8 of 42

Quote:
BotByte, have you owned the D2000? No offense, but it seems like lately you've been giving advice for amps and headphones you possibly don't own or have heard.
Sure, the D2000 doesn't need an amp, but 100% for sure benefits from one. For me, there was definitely a large enough benefit going from not-amped to amped.
The D2000 IMO loves desktop amps. I hated the D2000 without one.

My favorite amp for the D2000 was the Asgard, but that may be overkill unless you plan on trying other headphones.

Of course it sounds like you may also need a DAC too, but an amp is also suggested. I'd start with an amp.
The Total Airhead is a good place or start or even the E9 would be good. With the E9 you can even get the E7 for use as a DAC.

I've had the whole lineup of the current Denon's last month to test out. My old percussion teacher handed me a box including the entire lineup excluding the on-ear noise canceling ones. I've tested most headphones out in the market and also buy and return a good amount in the hopes of finding my next can.

Aug 30, 2011 at 7:59 AM Post #9 of 42
This will perhaps blow your mind.  I can tell more of a difference with an unamped vs amped denon d2000 and an unamped and amped dt990 600Ω.  The former's dynamics change more than the latter's when amped, and the latter's volume output changes considerably more than the former.

So contrary to their 25Ω rating, the D2000's definitely would like to be amped.  

The sibilance you hear on the vocals is likely a combination of 3 things:  your recordings, your onboard sound, and the headphone.  You can alleviate all 3 by using a tube amp.  A lot of people say the D2000s benefit more from a solid state compared to a tube amp, but I tend to disagree, I think a tube amp that rolls off on the treble and strengthens the mids actually goes a ways in making the D2000 more neutral and more organic.  A good dac and the tube amp will give a more spacious soundstage too.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 42

Quote:
I've had the whole lineup of the current Denon's last month to test out. My old percussion teacher handed me a box including the entire lineup excluding the on-ear noise canceling ones. I've tested most headphones out in the market and also buy and return a good amount in the hopes of finding my next can.

No offense but I call BS on this one. I've seen your previous posts and honestly you don't seem to know much about the subject. A lot of your posts are either flat out wrong or just based on general consensus and basic knowledge that are pretty obvious on head-fi. Say what you want but you don't seem much of a contributor to me, despite the fact that you've been one of the most active posters recently.

Aug 30, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #15 of 42

Quote:
all songs have the sibilance, try Suzie McNeil - Supergirl.
Theres noway its the quality, I have almost all my 1400 songs at 320 kbps and I have lossless audio files.

Actually, if you want less sibilance, you want lower bitrates. Try converting to low quality and hear it for yourself. It will sound more congested and less detailed, but less harsh in result.

D2000 are known for it's "edgy" trebles. Although a tube amp might fix it (never tried myself), it's one of the main flaws of the headphone you'll have to deal with. D5000 is supposed to have more smooth treble so you might want to look into that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back