Denon AH-7200
Jul 5, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #1,081 of 3,155
I shortened my stock cable with no fuss as the internal wiring proved easy to work with,
Unlike most others..

Still used the jack or a balanced xlr?

I preferred to make a new cable because a lung cable may still be usefull... Unfortunatly high quality 3.5mm jacks are quite expencive... 10€ far a single oyaide jack unfortunatly neutrick mono 3.5mm won't fit well...

Jul 6, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #1,082 of 3,155
I'm feeling the novelty excitement from D7200 wearing off, so I can finally start writing down some more critical impressions.

My current impressions (after 2 weeks with them, approx 30 hours of listening time):

* Going balanced improves the SQ and soundstage slightly, but the change is rather subtle, unlike going balanced vs SE with HD650s
* They are rather sensitive to the position on your head, sometimes I spend a minute or two readjusting them on my head until I'm content with the sound
* I cannot for the love of all go back to listening to DT 1770 Pro after a session with 7200s anymore, even for comparisons - not that DT 1770 Pro are that bad, I just don't like their sound signature
* The more I listen to 7200s the more I see similarities to HD650's sound signature, except much better sub-bass and slightly more detailed/articulated highs (probably due to them being rolled off on 650s) at the cost of the soundstage.
* After several comparisons, I find that i like how 7200s sound on solid state (LISST on MJ2 and built in amps of my ifi iDAC2 and TEAC UD-301) slightly more than on tubes (Golden Lions in MJ2 currently), but this needs more experimentation and some more tube rolling.

Jul 6, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #1,083 of 3,155
I'm feeling the novelty excitement from D7200 wearing off, so I can finally start writing down some more critical impressions.

My current impressions (after 2 weeks with them, approx 30 hours of listening time):

* Going balanced improves the SQ and soundstage slightly, but the change is rather subtle, unlike going balanced vs SE with HD650s
* They are rather sensitive to the position on your head, sometimes I spend a minute or two readjusting them on my head until I'm content with the sound
* I cannot for the love of all go back to listening to DT 1770 Pro after a session with 7200s anymore, even for comparisons - not that DT 1770 Pro are that bad, I just don't like their sound signature
* The more I listen to 7200s the more I see similarities to HD650's sound signature, except much better sub-bass and slightly more detailed/articulated highs (probably due to them being rolled off on 650s) at the cost of the soundstage.
* After several comparisons, I find that i like how 7200s sound on solid state (LISST on MJ2 and built in amps of my ifi iDAC2 and TEAC UD-301) slightly more than on tubes (Golden Lions in MJ2 currently), but this needs more experimentation and some more tube rolling.

Have you made also a burn in ? 30 hours are too few ... i'm over 100 hours (burn in + listen) and they seems to be still improving their sound...

these headphones takes a very long burn-in time !

Jul 6, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #1,084 of 3,155
Have you made also a burn in ? 30 hours are too few ... i'm over 100 hours (burn in + listen) and they seems to be still improving their sound...

these headphones takes a very long burn-in time !

I'm not that sold on the whole long term burn-in thing, but I agree that human brain needs some time to adapt to new things to appreciate subtle changes. That is why gave myself 2 weeks before posting my impressions (and gave disclaimers in my first posts). On the other hand I must say that over the course of those 2 weeks the sound from 7200 did change noticeably, albeit very slightly. The highs became a bit more pronounced, bass became a tiny bit more tight. We'll see whether there'll be any further changes.

Jul 6, 2017 at 9:39 PM Post #1,085 of 3,155
I'm not that sold on the whole long term burn-in thing, but I agree that human brain needs some time to adapt to new things to appreciate subtle changes. That is why gave myself 2 weeks before posting my impressions (and gave disclaimers in my first posts). On the other hand I must say that over the course of those 2 weeks the sound from 7200 did change noticeably, albeit very slightly. The highs became a bit more pronounced, bass became a tiny bit more tight. We'll see whether there'll be any further changes.
Next time buy two of the same headphones and allow one to burn in for 200 hrs and the other leave it the box unopen. Do not try listening to either until one had 200 hrs of music running through it. Now listen to both and you will hear they each sound different.

Jul 8, 2017 at 6:53 AM Post #1,087 of 3,155
I just got the fenestrated sheepskin and Massdrop starts selling ZMF pads. Bought the Ori and Pilot Pad. There goes my other $$$ :k701smile:

Which fenestrated sheepskin pads did you get for your Denons? The ones for the TH-900 or the TH-X00?

Jul 8, 2017 at 7:23 PM Post #1,089 of 3,155
Denon's own drivers as far as I know. That's not a bad thing though. Fostex drivers seem to have an inherent treble peak problem, they're not perfect. Maybe Denon can make better drivers? We'll see.

Treble peak problem? Really, let me listen the them again, as I own the three TH-X00 and they sound excellent to me...I would like them to go even a little further on the highs...
I doubt that Denon will develop anything better, let's see, they are more into outsourcing, that really developing....

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #1,090 of 3,155
IMHO, and based on measurements the Denon drivers+housing (they are indeed quite different than the TH600 or TH900 drivers, also the enclosure loading is different) sound more linear than both Fostex drivers+housings (TH900 and TH600). Which sounds better is a subjective call. I tried to max out sound quality on both the TH900 and D7200, and I prefer one against the other for different things. The TH900 sounds best with the Chinese/ebay aftermarket pads, they are just wonderful, more presence, less bass bloat but same extension and impact. My custom pads are just marginally better. The D7200 still sounds/measures best with obscurely modded pads (Lawton pads modded with thin carbon foam inserts), but one may try the Ori pads, it should be good as well. I only have the Eikon pads for the Stax (and they are too large for Fostex or Denon) but they are good. ZMF pads are excellent value and sound good on a variety of headphones. One can get it better but they will be customized solutions for given headphones, not generic pads.

Jul 9, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #1,091 of 3,155
I just did an hour long comparison between my Fostex TH-900 mk2 and a friends D7200, both with stock pads. Both driven out of a Lake People HPA RS 02 with a Modi Multibit.

TH-900 is brighter, and the treble is definitely hotter, but also more detailed. The bass was tighter in the TH-900 with less sloppiness or boom, overall less bloat. Mids were a little more forward in the D7200, but not by much. The TH-900 had better overall clarity and soundstage than the D7200, but the build quality on the D7200 is much better, more sturdy. I wish that Fostex had moved away from the single screw swivel design. I also compared the D7200 with my old D7100. The D7200 is a step up in every way. Not that I think the D7100 sounds bad, but the D7200 is better in every category by at least 15%.

Overall both sound great, and I can't fault the Denon pair as it is at lower price point, but going from the D7200 to the TH-900 it was like a veil had been lifted. Part of that might be that I've gotten used to the sound signature of the TH-900 over the past month and a half. Still, should my TH-900 suddenly break outside of warranty, the D7200 would be at the top of the list for replacements.

Jul 9, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #1,092 of 3,155
I had similar experience with stock D7200 vs TX00 Ebony vs TH900, each was better than the previous. However, the Denons have a huge unused potential. The stock pads are really holding them back a lot. After pad mods, the extension of the D7200 measures the same as the TH900, and the Denon is more linear. Still, the TH900 appeals to a lot of genres. Since the Denon mods are not easily done, probably more people would be better off with the TH900. For my part, I think I will sell the modded TH900 and keep the modded D7200, in order to fund some exotic e-stats.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #1,093 of 3,155
I had similar experience with stock D7200 vs TX00 Ebony vs TH900, each was better than the previous. However, the Denons have a huge unused potential. The stock pads are really holding them back a lot. After pad mods, the extension of the D7200 measures the same as the TH900, and the Denon is more linear. Still, the TH900 appeals to a lot of genres. Since the Denon mods are not easily done, probably more people would be better off with the TH900. For my part, I think I will sell the modded TH900 and keep the modded D7200, in order to fund some exotic e-stats.

Did not have a chance to listen to TH900, but it's double the price of D7200, so it is not a very fair comparison IMO.

Jul 10, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #1,094 of 3,155
Did not have a chance to listen to TH900, but it's double the price of D7200, so it is not a very fair comparison IMO.
Life is not about whats fair. This hobby is about getting the best of the best.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:15 AM Post #1,095 of 3,155
I think it's ok to compair headphones of similar design, between brands that used to work together, and especially when both are flagship models. Any comparison is fine as you acknowledge the price difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back