Denon AH-7200
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:01 AM Post #1,066 of 3,156
Thanks SAndreev, I have not read any reviews yet, I just bought on impulse without much research and I think I recall that when I looked for reviews I could not find any.

Are there any links to good reviews?

My experience so far has been a little disappointing but things have gone from not so great to worse than not so great - as the RHS 3.5mm ear plug has a bad solder joint/ connection which I have been able to establish by changing sides, etc.

To me the stock cable is very flimsy for an expensive cables and I would slate them even if they were cheap. As a guy who has made all sorts of cables in the past I am unimpressed how amateurish the cable is made, I don't give a **** if it is 7N or 20N Copper if it has failed already and is likely to fail due to the lack of proper strain relief. There is thick soft braiding over a thin cable, I can only imagine how little Copper is in there!

Another observation is that as a guy with average size ears - there is no extra room in ear pads for someone with larger than average ears.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:11 AM Post #1,067 of 3,156
Guys, I just got my 7200 and was expecting that I could unscrew the larger 6.3mm plug to reveal the smaller 3.5mm plug like the Beyer T1.2 etc. or at least I expected an adapter in the box? Am I missing something?

If not, as it is a low impedance headphone What are Denon thinking and why such long cables in this day and age when most us don't need long cables?

Any good adapter recommended or better still any short decent cables at reasonable prices?

I intend to use the 7200 mainly with a DAP.

No adapter...

Also 6.3 -> 3.5 adapters usually do not work very well also 3m cable it is not very comfortable for dap ...

I'm going next days to make a shorter cable terminated with 3.5mm jack

For dap is the simpler and comfotable solution

Stock cable is quite good sonically specking...I Make cables as hobby and remaining unbalanced i got only a little improvement using noetch upocc copper (that is one of the best in the market) ... Going balanced it has a good improvement but not made by cable.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 5:34 AM Post #1,069 of 3,156
Yes Johnny, likewise after burn-in and making sure that I was happy with the SQ, I was thinking of reducing the length of the cable but now I do not think it is good enough to bother especially in my case where one of the 3.5mm plugs is faulty and can't be repaired because the plug is sealed.

I was hoping to burn-in the phones while I pondered getting/ making new cables but now I can't as I can only burn in the LHS!

Jun 29, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,070 of 3,156
Yes Johnny, likewise after burn-in and making sure that I was happy with the SQ, I was thinking of reducing the length of the cable but now I do not think it is good enough to bother especially in my case where one of the 3.5mm plugs is faulty and can't be repaired because the plug is sealed.

I was hoping to burn-in the phones while I pondered getting/ making new cables but now I can't as I can only burn in the LHS!
Bad thing...

You can invert the jacks and see if the other speaker corretly works...

And check that the fault is effectively on the cable and not the headfone..

I think it is better not tu cut original cables

It you are able to make some soldering it is quite cheap to make a good sounding cable...

I was wondering how this headphone could sound whit a solid occ silver cable like the one i made for my he6...

Unfortunatly neotech occ silver is very expensive... 11€/m single wire...

For a minikack cable probably i'll use the viablue one .. Cheap , good sounding and very flexible ... Ideal for a portable use ... Tinned ofc copper... An interesting conductor.

Solid core awg26 is flexyble but may not as flexible as i would like for a portable cable...

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #1,071 of 3,156
Guys, I just got my 7200 and was expecting that I could unscrew the larger 6.3mm plug to reveal the smaller 3.5mm plug like the Beyer T1.2 etc. or at least I expected an adapter in the box? Am I missing something?

If not, as it is a low impedance headphone What are Denon thinking and why such long cables in this day and age when most us don't need long cables?

Any good adapter recommended or better still any short decent cables at reasonable prices?

I intend to use the 7200 mainly with a DAP.
its an over ear headphone ,, by logic it should come with 6.3mm plug as default ,
convertor is bonus thing for this design ,,
anyway , the Beyer T1.2 cable is working perfectly and it is 3.5mm and 1.4m ,,
http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/audiophile-connection-cable-1-40-m.html

enjoy .

Jun 29, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #1,072 of 3,156
Sorry but I can't agree that it should come with 6.3mm as standard as all the new Beyers come with both options, look at the T1.2, T5P.2, DT1990 and Amiron, etc. and AKG K612 & k712, all have both and I could go on.

I can tell you that I am pretty well **************************** off by it as well as the faulty plug!!!!!!!

It is absolute S***************** that we are expected to buy new cables and new pads on an expensive headphone.

I, like lots of people on HF don't really need a new headphone and when I do buy them - they should live up to expectation and be practical, rant over! :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,073 of 3,156
How's the sound isolation on these?

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #1,074 of 3,156
Sorry but I can't agree that it should come with 6.3mm as standard as all the new Beyers come with both options, look at the T1.2, T5P.2, DT1990 and Amiron, etc. and AKG K612 & k712, all have both and I could go on.

I can tell you that I am pretty well **************************** off by it as well as the faulty plug!!!!!!!

It is absolute S***************** that we are expected to buy new cables and new pads on an expensive headphone.

I, like lots of people on HF don't really need a new headphone and when I do buy them - they should live up to expectation and be practical, rant over! :dt880smile:

if you just got it and it's somehow faulty.why don't claim for the warranty?

Jun 29, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #1,075 of 3,156
if you just got it and it's somehow faulty.why don't claim for the warranty?

Yes thanks, I have been in contact with the shop and I should get a replacement by the middle of next week but either way I will have to get a new cable with a 3.5mm plug which IMO I should not have to do.

I hope that I have made people aware of this issue, remember that we are dealing with a recent design and an easy to drive 25 Ohm headphone!

Jun 29, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,076 of 3,156

sorry i didn't see your other post ,
now i can see where the frustration come from ,,
if you got a faulty cable ,, return it and get a new one ,,
to my ears the stock cable is the best for the 7200 ..
i hope at least you like the sound of it ..

Jul 2, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #1,077 of 3,156
How's the sound isolation on these?

I think they isolate well from sound leakage out but not so great for sound leakage in.

They would not be the most comfortable headphone but they are still reasonable, I think that they could have had a bit more soft padding in the headband.

The leather pads are quite firm and have medium-firm clamping force.

I have had to make a temporary short headphone cable with 3.5mm jack plug (due to the faulty stock cable).

If anyone decides to make their own cable, make sure to check that the plugs you chose (that go into the headphone cups) that they are nice and tight and stay in place as the sockets seem to be quite selective/ finicky.

The 7200 sound nice but I am not sure if I will keep them and the 3m long heavy stock cable with fixed 6.35mm plug has really fluffed me off!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2017 at 8:24 AM Post #1,078 of 3,156
Jul 3, 2017 at 1:03 AM Post #1,079 of 3,156
There is thick soft braiding over a thin cable, I can only imagine how little Copper is in there!
Don't imagine , try.
I found this cable easier to work with than most(!),
because of color the coded insulation on 2 pairs of twisted wires with nice shiny copper..

plugs is faulty and can't be repaired because the plug is sealed.
Yes I agree ...
I never seen a cheapo sealed plug on a quality cable before.
To repair your plugs would require to cut them off totally and put new ones

Jul 4, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #1,080 of 3,156
Stock cable is quite good sonically specking...I Make cables as hobby
I shortened my stock cable with no fuss as the internal wiring proved easy to work with,
Unlike most others..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back