Denon 5000s on craigslist...
May 28, 2012 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

viralcow

Headphoneus Supremus
Today I found a pair of Denon AHD5000s on craigslist for just $100. I know, it sounds too good to be true, but thankfully the owner lives only 25-30 minutes away so I'll be able to go see them for myself.

There are two pictures posted:
http://images.craigslist.org/5E65K35Ha3Mf3N33H8c5n411bc36192f81a6d.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/5Gc5O15K73Gb3I23Jbc5n5262a53d69dd1381.jpg

Can anyone comment on whether these look real or fake? The wood seems very dark brown, not light brown, and the picture quality is bad so I can't read the model number. But I haven't heard that much about fake denons so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I can snag these for just $100, that would be just amazing.

May 29, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 15
I am far from an expert and don't own any of the denon range. I have been doing tons of reading on them. They are ment to have a gold like finish on the frame. These clearly have a silver and black finish on them. Still a great deal on the lower end of the range. I would love to get them for that much.

May 29, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #6 of 15
Based on the second picture, it looks like the real deal D5000.  Despite the bad lighting in the first picture, the give away is the thicker cable.

Be sure to ask about if any parts of the frame and gimbels aren't cracked and if the drivers are OK.  For a used D5000, the price is an absolute steal.  Just make sure you meet up at public place, and not at the poster's home.  Have only the Benjamin on you and leave any credit cards and other cards with very personal information at home.  Better to be safe than sorry.

May 29, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 15
Just contacted the owner and scheduled a meeting. I have a feeling she knows little to nothing about headphones at all, which explains the very low price (just to get rid of the things). But just in case she is trying to scam me with a defective pair, what build quality issues should I watch out for when I try them out? I've been reading up on the metal hinges breaking off and that scares me a little.

May 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Well, there may be build issues with the screws and that may make some owners abandon ship, but the fix wouldn't be too bad and then you'd have a nice headphone at a fixer-upper price.

I know little about this headphone (I have heard one though), but I have seen overseas retailers offer them at questionably low prices.  That said, I have not read anything about someone actually having received a fake.  Best of luck to you.  I hope you can get a steal on this headphone.

I'm sure you know this already, but bring a source!

May 29, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #11 of 15
Maybe it's her ex bfs or ex husbands lol.

May 29, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #12 of 15
I think you're lucky. They look legitimate. (never heard of fake Denons)

May 29, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #13 of 15
If so it's considered stolen property, even if he left them there. So be cautious.

Also that is one good deal.

Quote:
Maybe it's her ex bfs or ex husbands lol.

May 29, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
Just contacted the owner and scheduled a meeting. I have a feeling she knows little to nothing about headphones at all, which explains the very low price (just to get rid of the things). But just in case she is trying to scam me with a defective pair, what build quality issues should I watch out for when I try them out? I've been reading up on the metal hinges breaking off and that scares me a little.

It seems like a deal similar to the Klipsch bookshelf / monitor speakers that I purchased on Craigslist a few years back for $35.00 a pair ... with real wood veneer and 8" woofers.  
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back