DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Nov 5, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,081 of 3,907
Hey guys,

I am in the market for a new DAC, and stumbled upon this thread.
Seems like the thread went VERY quiet 2-3 months ago, where (IMHO) several good questions were not answered. Main questions (to me):
1. How does ARES compare to Schiit Bimby? Yes, I know, @willsw commented (in post #979) but that is 1 person's opinion... Nobody else compared them?!
2. What about Schiit Gumby?! Yes, I know it cost approx. 2 times, but several people mentioned before that those 2 needs to be compared, and I totally agree!
3. Very few comparisons to Chord 2Qute (@willsw in post #884 actually preferred the 2Qute). In post 1016 @ajreynol mentioned he wants to compare them... Did you? What do you think?

For reference, my desktop setup is desktop PC (JRiver) -> DAC -> Schiit Jot / Cavalli LC -> Headphones. I am not really listening much through speakers (although I do have JBL LS305s in my desktop setup connected to the Schiit Jot pre-amp outputs). Personal preference is warm sound signature (I know Jot is NOT warm, but it works well with warm / bassy headphones like Sony Z7 etc.).

Currently, I use built-in DAC in Jot (I know it is not very good, to say the least). I want to invest in a good DAC and my 3 candidates are: Gumby, ARES, 2Qute (random order). The 2Qute and Gumby (in the $1300 price range) already stretch my budget, so please no suggestions to go for the Terminator :wink:

I would appreciate any help or opinions.

Thanks,
Zachi.
I'm in the same boat. Did you end up getting the Ares? I'm also considering the Gustard x20 Pro and Oppo Sonica.

Nov 5, 2017 at 10:23 PM Post #1,082 of 3,907
I'm in the same boat. Did you end up getting the Ares? I'm also considering the Gustard x20 Pro and Oppo Sonica.
Funny story... I ended up buying a 4th non-listed candidate :)
My choice at the end was the Metrum Amethyst.

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:45 AM Post #1,085 of 3,907
Quick question on the Ares - can you use both the XLR and RCA outputs? I have a balanced SS amp that I am feeding from the Ares, and thinking of getting a tube amp to complement the setup, which would be SE. I obviously would not use both at the same time, but can I have both connected to the Ares at the same time (and just switch on whichever amp I intend to use)?

Dec 1, 2017 at 4:53 AM Post #1,086 of 3,907
Quick question on the Ares - can you use both the XLR and RCA outputs? I have a balanced SS amp that I am feeding from the Ares, and thinking of getting a tube amp to complement the setup, which would be SE. I obviously would not use both at the same time, but can I have both connected to the Ares at the same time (and just switch on whichever amp I intend to use)?
you will be ok. I used mine like that before I got XLR splitter to my balanced amps

Dec 1, 2017 at 8:49 AM Post #1,089 of 3,907
Im using Ares XLR balance out to Jot's balance in (headphone) .RCA out to preamp to poweramp 2 channel spk system. Ares DAC and MHDT DAC(2channel and Heaphone) both are fed by a single Schiit ETIR.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #1,090 of 3,907
Disclaimer: I have no relation, any, zilt, nicht, nada, with Denafrips (apart from the fact that I own one of their products, of course) or any other audio manufacturer in any country on Earth.

Hi, all

I’ve had an issue with my Denafrips Venus when it first arrived (original post below) and I want to describe my experience with Denafrips customer service. At the start, I was a bit afraid if I really would get any customer service at all because I am the second owner of my unit and I live in distant-hot-and-out-of-the-radar-for-audiophile-stuff Brazil. I’ve been attended by Alvin here in the forum and by email and I described him my troubles; he immediately detected the issue: I would need to replace the DSP board, which is a very straight-forward process of just open the chassis and unplug-plug-and-play. But I got a little flea behind my ear: he had found the problem too quickly, just by my descriptions, “maybe this Alvin guy just doesn’t know what he is talking about”, I asked myself. He sent me the replacing DSP board (and the instructions) free of charge and well packed through DHL and I did the switch easily. And… everything worked great! The cracks and distortions of old had gone and I ended up with this great crystal sound. I am very happy!

What got me pleased the most in my experience with the Denafrips customer service is how they didn't have any excuses or caveats with the fact that I’ve bought my Venus second hand (here in the 'for sale forums') and I don’t have an invoice with my name on it. Alvin just attended me as he would any new client and honored their warranty with no concerns about the expensive DSP board replacement going to expensive-shipping and distant Brazil. We know that this is the way things should work in any company but I am afraid the truth is that many of them just look for the minimal poor excuse to not spend a buck on you: “Oh, I am sorry, the warranty is not transferable” or “Sorry, we do not offer service in your poverty-stricken country” or “I just don’t like the fact you implied some product of ours could ever need any customer service, so, no customer service for you!” or “Oops, we just did not received your last 17 emails; are you certain you sent them or even if you just know how to type?” or just plain and simple silence; these are few of some of the lines you may listen to/read in interactions with many other businesses out there but not with Denafrips. Alvin/VinShineAudio/Denafrips' super quick, precise and no-problem-about-it attitude makes me confident in highly recommend their products even if you buy them second hand. And, also, alongside the great sound quality I’ve experienced with the Venus, it makes me put their brand in the very first position for any upgrade of equipment I may consider in the future… maybe I can see a Terminator coming my way soon… :thinking:

Thank you very much, Alvin, my confidence in the humankind has been restored and all that thing; and sorry for taking so much time for posting my experience here in the forum.

(I am going to post this in the Denafrips Pontus thread as well as I’ve written about my former problems there also. The fact I haven't written this in the ‘Denafrips Venus thread’ is that it seems to not exist one until my original post came out.)

I hope this post can help someone.

Cheers from Brazil.

Ricardo

Hello, everyone.

I have a little problem with my very recently arrived Denafrips Venus, I hope someone, or even Alvin, can help me. The DAC works great through the USB connection with my PC, but I can't make it work through the coaxial or optical connections with my blu-ray player/source Oppo BDP-105. The sound gets full of cracks and distortions and, eventually, the only thing you can hear are the cracks. A bunch of LEDs goes on and off as if the Venus could not decide what kind of format is being fed into it (just a speculation, I really don't know what the issue is). That's a pity because a have a bunch of CDs I was hoping to primarily use the Venus as a DAC for the Oppo and just secondarily for my PC. The BDP-105 does not have a USB out, so I am stuck to coaxial or optical. I already changed every possible configuration option on the Oppo, including changing the format fed to the coaxial and optical outputs from bitstream to LPCM, with no success; but I don't think the problem is with the Oppo 105 because my old DAC works with it immediately with many diverse configurations. Did someone have a similar experience with other DACs and does somebody have any idea on what is happening and what could I do to solve it, if anything? I hope the Venus hasn't been damaged.

Sorry for posting a question about the Venus in an Ares thread, but there is no specific thread for the Venus. I am also going to repeat the question on the Pontus thread and maybe on the Terminator's.

Thank you for your help.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #1,091 of 3,907
I have an Ares en route from a fellow Head-fi member. I'll be able to direct compare it to Gustard X20 Pro. I'll be feeding it via Singxer F1 coax.

Got it today. I am very impressed with it so far. Doing a direct comparison against the Gustard X20 Pro. The Ares has a clean, natural, and smooth sound. It does seem to be rather detailed yet easy to listen through. The X20 Pro is a bit more energetic, but possibly slightly more artificial sounding.

It's gonna be a tough decision to choose one. I will say I am interested to hear the Pontus, now.

After listening last night and on and off today I decided it's not for me. The smooth presentation along with my smooth sounding tube amp is too much. It's listed in the classifieds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back