DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Jan 22, 2018 at 2:36 PM Post #1,096 of 3,907
Most welcome @rubick. Enjoy the music!

Rgds,
Alvin

Hi Alvin,

A couple of questions that others might also be interested in.

1. Do you have a return policy or trial period?
2. Do you have a service facility in the US or do users need to send their units back to China for something more than a user-friendly board swap.
3. Is your warranty transferable?

Thanks!
Paul

Jan 23, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #1,097 of 3,907
Hi Alvin,

A couple of questions that others might also be interested in.

1. Do you have a return policy or trial period?
2. Do you have a service facility in the US or do users need to send their units back to China for something more than a user-friendly board swap.
3. Is your warranty transferable?

Thanks!
Paul

Hi Paul,

Good day.

1. Apologies there is no return policy/trial period at this moment due to our online direct sales business model. It would be difficult to handle the logistics alone.
2. The DAC (except Ares), is modular design. We usually do a board-swap arrangement when service/repair is required. We are working with a credible partner in the US as our service facility if the client is not hands-on.
3. Yes, the warranty is transferable.

Many thanks.

Rgds,
Alvin @ VINSHINE AUDIO

p/s: if it's not appropriate to reply, mod please assist to remove this post.

Jan 23, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #1,098 of 3,907
Hi Paul,

Good day.

1. Apologies there is no return policy/trial period at this moment due to our online direct sales business model. It would be difficult to handle the logistics alone.
2. The DAC (except Ares), is modular design. We usually do a board-swap arrangement when service/repair is required. We are working with a credible partner in the US as our service facility if the client is not hands-on.
3. Yes, the warranty is transferable.

Many thanks.

Rgds,
Alvin @ VINSHINE AUDIO

p/s: if it's not appropriate to reply, mod please assist to remove this post.

Thanks Alvin.

Jan 24, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #1,099 of 3,907
I am very much interested to buy this DAC but I cannot find any good information about the analog output stage!
is it fully discrete without opamps?
The only info I found in this thread is that it is a Denafpris mistery?
I will not decide before having the full info! Any help is very much appreciated.

Feb 1, 2018 at 9:48 AM Post #1,100 of 3,907
The ARES does quite well at its price, having more clarity and tighter bass control versus the Bimby. The 2Qute and the Gumby are both better. Though you diverge dramatically in how each processes and outputs sound. If you are looking for DACs at that level, you might also consider the Metrum Amethyst. Having owned the three, I think you pretty much have three distinctive, yet interesting sounds, covered - all at the same level of DAC competency.

Hi, this is very interesting. Would you be able to grade in a 1 to 10 scale? Bimby, Gimby, Ares, 2qute and MA? I’m looking for a big soundstage, neutral sound and detail.

FWIW I would be pairing it with a Mjolnir 2, I’m of the idea that the amp and headphones should give you color and the DAC should be as neutral as posible. I’d like to go fully balanced but it isn’t a priority either. DSD is not important to me at all.

Right now I have mimby and I’ve read that it isn’t really far from bimby.

Other DACs I’m considering are Gustard X20 Pro and the new X22

I’d appreciate everyone’s advice!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,101 of 3,907
I am very much interested to buy this DAC but I cannot find any good information about the analog output stage!
is it fully discrete without opamps?
The only info I found in this thread is that it is a Denafpris mistery?
I will not decide before having the full info! Any help is very much appreciated.

if you look at pics, the output stage is based on chips, not discrete transistors. not that that is a bad thing or good thing. implementation is always key.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:34 PM Post #1,102 of 3,907
Hi, this is very interesting. Would you be able to grade in a 1 to 10 scale? Bimby, Gimby, Ares, 2qute and MA? I’m looking for a big soundstage, neutral sound and detail.

FWIW I would be pairing it with a Mjolnir 2, I’m of the idea that the amp and headphones should give you color and the DAC should be as neutral as posible. I’d like to go fully balanced but it isn’t a priority either. DSD is not important to me at all.

Right now I have mimby and I’ve read that it isn’t really far from bimby.

Other DACs I’m considering are Gustard X20 Pro and the new X22

I’d appreciate everyone’s advice!

Hard to put a grade on things, especially when some things may excel in one area, but not another. Also I've not heard Ares directly A/B to anything except the 2Qute and Bifrost, or on speakers. When listening to speakers, it is much easier to hear distinct differences between DACs. Differences are much more subtle on headphones.

Soundstage on Gumby was better than Bimby and Mimby. 2Qute was relatively flat. Detail on Gumby was better than MA - this comparison was done via headphones through a Cavalli Glass. It was subtle, but definitely there. But this thread is about the Ares, which I've heard only at meet events - quiet meet events, but not all the DACs were on hand. There's still a slight warmth to the Gumby, despite its soundstage and detail. What I mean, it might not be considered neutral per your requirements. I would press on people who have heard Gumby and Ares, in the same sitting, to ask what they think. Sorry, I've heard these, but too many other variables were in play to make a good review comparison.

Feb 1, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #1,103 of 3,907
Hard to put a grade on things, especially when some things may excel in one area, but not another. Also I've not heard Ares directly A/B to anything except the 2Qute and Bifrost, or on speakers. When listening to speakers, it is much easier to hear distinct differences between DACs. Differences are much more subtle on headphones.

Soundstage on Gumby was better than Bimby and Mimby. 2Qute was relatively flat. Detail on Gumby was better than MA - this comparison was done via headphones through a Cavalli Glass. It was subtle, but definitely there. But this thread is about the Ares, which I've heard only at meet events - quiet meet events, but not all the DACs were on hand. There's still a slight warmth to the Gumby, despite its soundstage and detail. What I mean, it might not be considered neutral per your requirements. I would press on people who have heard Gumby and Ares, in the same sitting, to ask what they think. Sorry, I've heard these, but too many other variables were in play to make a good review comparison.
Thanks!

Apr 6, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #1,105 of 3,907
Gingko Audio will have a demo featuring the world premiere of the full line of Denafrips ladder DACs: Ares, Pontus, Venus, and Terminator in Room 1524 at AXPONA
at the Schaumburg Convention Center in Chicago area, April 13-15.
Here is a preview:
Vinh Vu

Users who are viewing this thread

Back