DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by pitbul34, Jan 28, 2017.
  1. AltCtrl
    I'm in the same boat. Did you end up getting the Ares? I'm also considering the Gustard x20 Pro and Oppo Sonica.

2. Zachik
    Funny story... I ended up buying a 4th non-listed candidate :)
    My choice at the end was the Metrum Amethyst.

3. monster7
    I would like to ask does anyone compare Denafrips Ares to Metrum Musette DAC? Thanks

4. leeperry
    I forgot, why so many caps again lol? http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/denafrips/3.html

Why not far less much bigger Mundorf Mlytic's for instance?

So 4K buy you a gazillion SILMIC caps but you still get the cheapest RCA & IEC sockets they could find, now that is ironic but I guess they got a really good deal on SILMIC's :D

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  5. xenithon
    Quick question on the Ares - can you use both the XLR and RCA outputs? I have a balanced SS amp that I am feeding from the Ares, and thinking of getting a tube amp to complement the setup, which would be SE. I obviously would not use both at the same time, but can I have both connected to the Ares at the same time (and just switch on whichever amp I intend to use)?

6. rudra
    you will be ok. I used mine like that before I got XLR splitter to my balanced amps

7. xenithon
    Many thanks rudra. Out of interest, what XLR splitter do you use?

8. rudra
    any run of the mill XLR splitter will do . I got mine done at a local shop with mogami cable and neutrik connector

9. slex
    Im using Ares XLR balance out to Jot's balance in (headphone) .RCA out to preamp to poweramp 2 channel spk system. Ares DAC and MHDT DAC(2channel and Heaphone) both are fed by a single Schiit ETIR.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. rixlbg
    Disclaimer: I have no relation, any, zilt, nicht, nada, with Denafrips (apart from the fact that I own one of their products, of course) or any other audio manufacturer in any country on Earth.

Hi, all

I’ve had an issue with my Denafrips Venus when it first arrived (original post below) and I want to describe my experience with Denafrips customer service. At the start, I was a bit afraid if I really would get any customer service at all because I am the second owner of my unit and I live in distant-hot-and-out-of-the-radar-for-audiophile-stuff Brazil. I’ve been attended by Alvin here in the forum and by email and I described him my troubles; he immediately detected the issue: I would need to replace the DSP board, which is a very straight-forward process of just open the chassis and unplug-plug-and-play. But I got a little flea behind my ear: he had found the problem too quickly, just by my descriptions, “maybe this Alvin guy just doesn’t know what he is talking about”, I asked myself. He sent me the replacing DSP board (and the instructions) free of charge and well packed through DHL and I did the switch easily. And… everything worked great! The cracks and distortions of old had gone and I ended up with this great crystal sound. I am very happy!

What got me pleased the most in my experience with the Denafrips customer service is how they didn't have any excuses or caveats with the fact that I’ve bought my Venus second hand (here in the 'for sale forums') and I don’t have an invoice with my name on it. Alvin just attended me as he would any new client and honored their warranty with no concerns about the expensive DSP board replacement going to expensive-shipping and distant Brazil. We know that this is the way things should work in any company but I am afraid the truth is that many of them just look for the minimal poor excuse to not spend a buck on you: “Oh, I am sorry, the warranty is not transferable” or “Sorry, we do not offer service in your poverty-stricken country” or “I just don’t like the fact you implied some product of ours could ever need any customer service, so, no customer service for you!” or “Oops, we just did not received your last 17 emails; are you certain you sent them or even if you just know how to type?” or just plain and simple silence; these are few of some of the lines you may listen to/read in interactions with many other businesses out there but not with Denafrips. Alvin/VinShineAudio/Denafrips' super quick, precise and no-problem-about-it attitude makes me confident in highly recommend their products even if you buy them second hand. And, also, alongside the great sound quality I’ve experienced with the Venus, it makes me put their brand in the very first position for any upgrade of equipment I may consider in the future… maybe I can see a Terminator coming my way soon… :thinking:

Thank you very much, Alvin, my confidence in the humankind has been restored and all that thing; and sorry for taking so much time for posting my experience here in the forum.

(I am going to post this in the Denafrips Pontus thread as well as I’ve written about my former problems there also. The fact I haven't written this in the ‘Denafrips Venus thread’ is that it seems to not exist one until my original post came out.)

I hope this post can help someone.

Cheers from Brazil.

Ricardo

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM