DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #3,901 of 3,907
I've come across the denafrips enyo marketed as the ares II? But found price differences.. can someone shed some love ght on this please?
Denafrips Ares II and Enyo should be identical. It was just later re-market to Enyo, so you could say it's the newer batch of Ares II but otherwise the same spec.

The one that would be different is the Ares 12th. Ares 12th is improved upon Ares II/Enyo. They re-worked the buttons at the front so it's easier to use instead having to use all kinds of secondary layers. There is also sound improvements but I don't know the exact changes.

Basically if you see difference in Ares II and Enyo, something is wrong.

If you see difference in Ares 12th, yes that's normal, this is situated higher than the regular Ares II/Enyo and therefore more expensive.

Hope this helps lol.

EDIT: Oh they also added I²S connection to the Ares 12th, the regular Ares II/Enyo does not have that.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #3,902 of 3,907
After upgrading from Enyo to Pontus, i sold Enyo and added IRIS after 3 months of hesitation.

Then today I returned to Ares ii.
I found an older unit (older than v3.12) and it was an impulse buy.

The Pontus (fw1.4) + IRIS gave a wide soundstage with detailed sound and instrument separation.
However, I could not seem to forget the magic sound of the Ares ii.
The sale of Enyo was a mistake, but it may be fortuitous that it gave me a reason to buy an old Ares ii.

I plan to keep the old FW as long as it works fine with USB connection.(๑╹◡╹)

edit
The first one I got was marked Ares ii/Enyo.
The unit I found this time was marked Ares ii only.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #3,903 of 3,907
Enyo is the same as Ares ii isn't it? Or is the enyo a newer / different version?

Mar 31, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #3,904 of 3,907
Enyo is the same as Ares ii isn't it? Or is the enyo a newer / different version?
Did you not bother to read the first post of the page...
EDIT: Oh they also added I²S connection to the Ares 12th, the regular Ares II/Enyo does not have that.

You can also watch this video...

There he explains the Enyo is the "old" Ares

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #3,905 of 3,907
So 'old' Ares is not the latest version as the new updated enyo? No I didn't watch the video

Apr 3, 2024 at 3:42 AM Post #3,907 of 3,907
The old Ares ii was in, FW, probably to be used with OG (1.0).

I am sure the soundstage and resolution scores will be lower than P2.
But in my environment and with my ears, Ares ii was a great match. Magic.

In audio someone asks for "better" and "more".
They are usually right, because it is getting better.

If you find "this is good enough", that's the right answer.ヾ(๑╹◡╹)ノ"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back