DENAFRIPS 'ARES' R2R discrete ladder DAC - close up view
Feb 10, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #3,886 of 3,907
Maybe you can tell me if it makes sense to add a denafrips r2r dac to my gear:
I use Cayin Ha-3a with stock tubes
And listen to an hifiman R10P ( I tested the susvara and the R10P, and I like it more for it's relaxed sound).
I currently use a cayin RU7 dongle im dsd64 as dac and it's timbre and sound is very good but it lacks sub bass/bass.
Any idea?
Thanks

Feb 10, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #3,887 of 3,907
Maybe you can tell me if it makes sense to add a denafrips r2r dac to my gear:
I use Cayin Ha-3a with stock tubes
And listen to an hifiman R10P ( I tested the susvara and the R10P, and I like it more for it's relaxed sound).
I currently use a cayin RU7 dongle im dsd64 as dac and it's timbre and sound is very good but it lacks sub bass/bass.
Any idea?
Thanks
I think it would be fine but i have limited experience with tubes.

Feb 10, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #3,888 of 3,907
I think it would be fine but i have limited experience with tubes.
Good for tubes, better match than opamp based R26 (see the same question there).

Feb 10, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #3,890 of 3,907
Feb 11, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #3,892 of 3,907
Do you have an idea which dac from denafrips to pick?
PontiusII is $1,700ish, if you cant afford that go with Ares. Pontius is supoosed to have better SS and resolution...

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:29 AM Post #3,893 of 3,907
Do you have an idea which dac from denafrips to pick?
Ares + Iris DDC = Magic :L3000:

EDIT - Especially with tubes - with WA2 it is outstanding, so I expect the Ha-3a will do extremely well. I used to have an RU7, but this is in a completely different league. If you like the tube sound, I would be shocked if you don’t like the Ares. With that said, I was a little disappointed with it before adding the Iris, but that was before the Ares firmware update, so I’m not sure if the Iris is totally necessary. You can use the Iris with other DACs if you want though, so I still think it makes sense to grab the Ares, see if you like it, and if it needs an upgrade in clarity to your ears, get the Iris, and you can use it with any DAC you like! Happy listening!!!

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #3,894 of 3,907
I`m A/B-ing Ares 12th + Iris against Yggdrasil OG (I think A1). I`m using the i2S out to Ares and AES out to the Yggy (both from Iris). The rest is Auralic Aries streamer, Sparkos Aries amp and 1266 PHI TC. I`m actually having a hard time hearing any difference between the to dacs. Both sounds great, will have to listen some more.

Feb 20, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #3,896 of 3,907
I`m A/B-ing Ares 12th + Iris against Yggdrasil OG (I think A1). I`m using the i2S out to Ares and AES out to the Yggy (both from Iris). The rest is Auralic Aries streamer, Sparkos Aries amp and 1266 PHI TC. I`m actually having a hard time hearing any difference between the to dacs. Both sounds great, will have to listen some more.
Aint it funny how that works!

Feb 20, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #3,897 of 3,907
Thanks to the fantastic support I now had the opportunity to install the 12th firmware and what can I say? it's like a new Dac. Everything sounds more three-dimensional. Even with headphones (Audeze LCD 4) you get a different sense of space. Instead of the sound radiating from the headphones to you, the sound comes from the room. The boundaries are blurred and yet the sound appears larger, giving the details more space. What fascinates me most is that details are very subtle in the room and yet they are not lost. You get all this information in a very natural, unobtrusive way. it's really addictive

Feb 21, 2024 at 6:27 PM Post #3,898 of 3,907
Thanks to the fantastic support I now had the opportunity to install the 12th firmware and what can I say? it's like a new Dac. Everything sounds more three-dimensional. Even with headphones (Audeze LCD 4) you get a different sense of space. Instead of the sound radiating from the headphones to you, the sound comes from the room. The boundaries are blurred and yet the sound appears larger, giving the details more space. What fascinates me most is that details are very subtle in the room and yet they are not lost. You get all this information in a very natural, unobtrusive way. it's really addictive
My experience exactly. It’s wild what a difference the firmware made…

Feb 21, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #3,899 of 3,907
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:43 PM Post #3,900 of 3,907
I've come across the denafrips enyo marketed as the ares II? But found price differences.. can someone shed some love ght on this please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back