Deleted
Feb 10, 2012 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Akin

100+ Head-Fier
This post was very ignorant. Sorry for that.

Deleted

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:27 AM Post #3 of 36
As much as people bash Beats, I think they're a welcome addition to the industry.  Why?  Because people no longer think spending a few hundred dollars for headphones is crazy.  After the iPod came out, people refused to buy full-size headphones at all because earbuds were the rage.  Further, no one wanted to even pay for headphones because the free ones that came with your .mp3 player were good enough.  Now, consumers, as a whole, are closer to head-fi'ers than they've ever been before.  Flash forward a couple of years and they'll be a lot of people in this community who got their start in the hobby via a pair of Beats.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM Post #4 of 36
People on here sure do talk a lot about things that they don't like.

Why do you even care?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #5 of 36
As much as people bash Beats, I think they're a welcome addition to the industry.  Why?  Because people no longer think spending a few hundred dollars for headphones is crazy.  After the iPod came out, people refused to buy full-size headphones at all because earbuds were the rage.  Further, no one wanted to even pay for headphones because the free ones that came with your .mp3 player were good enough.  Now, consumers, as a whole, are closer to head-fi'ers than they've ever been before.  Flash forward a couple of years and they'll be a lot of people in this community who got their start in the hobby via a pair of Beats.

But people don't buy beats for the sound quality, they buy them because they have "swag" as they say.
For them they look at a real pair of headphones and get turned off because they don't have any "swag". People couldn't be further from audiophile headphones. Beats are a fashion statement, nothing more.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #7 of 36
Mhm. BestBuy only demos Beats and Bose. The rest? Ah, yes, there's a few Sony and Sennheiser but they get the very special treatment to only play radio-commercials for the Beats!
At least that's how it is in Montreal.

At FutureShop (acquired by BestBuy) they put out Beats, Bose and Marley exclusively. Can't unplug the Marley and they make it play radio... How2evaluate headphones in store...
ok, SOME store had demos for the Addidas Sennheiser when they were on promo.

Seems only when big electronics stores put out vast amounts of headphone from various makers will the locals have better choices tastes. Biased marketing is so... Biased! If you go to Japan, pleasure yourself with the huge walls of demos at any big retailer like BicCamera, Softmap, or LABI (or was it LAB1) and you can see how different the popular cans are from here. With that said, love those stores!

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #8 of 36
join the army > http://www.head-fi.org/t/540242/getting-called-out-for-not-wearing-the-beats  
tongue.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:39 AM Post #9 of 36
It's a fact that many people will buy Sennheisers, Grados (etc...) after being introduced to "higher-end" cans with the Beats. 
Quote:
 People couldn't be further from audiophile headphones. Beats are a fashion statement, nothing more.

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:47 AM Post #12 of 36

Quote:

You make a very good point and I had also acknowledged that concept a while ago.
I believe the problem is the amount of marketing and false advertisement put into their product to brainwash people. 
The other problem is how many of us (including myself) are so adamant on hating the brand lol. Sad that the 'just cause you can't afford it' argument kind of works against me... you know, like the most pointless argument to use when describing sound?

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #13 of 36
I know a lot of people (including myself) who that happened to. 

Just the fact that people come on here and ask about Beats (which they probably wouldn't if they didn't exist) shows you that they are overall good for the audiophile community and audiophile brands. Before the Beats, not many people would have thought about spending $300+ on a pair of headphones, now everyone does. 

Quote:
Never seen that happen before...

Feb 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM Post #15 of 36
It is annoying, but you have to remember that you are still in school and that is the part of your life that will be most dominated by strong, unsubstantiated opinions that center around consumer goods.  It gets better, I promise....of course then people just have strong, unsubstantiated opinions about politics that really do affect your life...so maybe not.

For myself, I actually got into this hobby because of beats.  I wasn't lured in by their sound quality, I didn't know there was a drastic difference between headphones at the time, I was intrigued by their build.  I picked up a pair of beats tours because it looked to me like the big red cord would hold up better during workouts.  They sounded way better than anything I had ever heard before so I started reading around.  Today, I still have the tours as lawn mowing IEMs and they are at the bottom rung of my now rather large headphone collection.  I also learned that their strain relief kind of sucks, and that was where the shorts in other workout phones usually come from anyway, and the cord is too heavy to really run with.  I would sell them for the price of a couple large pizzas, but they are so often faked that it really isn't worth the hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back