Definitive recommendations where boxes need ticking...
Jan 8, 2011 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

topbananas

New Head-Fier
Hi All.

I am sure the answers are somewhere already, but afraid I don't have time to read through so many discussions about specifics.... I have no idea about frequencies, waves, maths and such.

I am looking for some headphones, as swimmer's ear stops me from using my IEMs ( Futuresonic) daily.

I need something sounding better than average for daily use with my ipod, listening to Ambient, Electronica, Hip Hop, Drum & Bass, Metal, Funk, Blues and Jazz, Prog Rock and Kate Bush and Brian Eno!
So, they:-
Gotta be portable (folding flat is fine).
Not too long a lead if possible.
I ride the underground, so outside noise reduction (not necessarily cancelling) needed. I use my IEMs for flights.
I ride the bus, so would be nice to minimise sound leakage, so the old ladies don't get upset.
I have a habit of losing things in transit, so don't want to spend more than 100 UKPounds
I have a large head (physically).
Some aesthetics might be nice, but too bling in my neighbourhood is not a great idea.

Have loved portapros in the past, but they always break and leak sound like crazy -  l tried the AudioTechnica ATH EW9 which were lovely but felt so fragile and let in way too much noise. Had some Sony 'DJ' Cans, but they were crap, and my head size pushed the earpiece back from the headband so the seal was lost (build quality issues) and the cable was a mile long.

Reviews have led me to thinking along the lines of :-
Sennheiser PX 200 II, HD25,
Beyerdynamic DT 235,
Audio Technica ES7 or ES55

I Like the specifics of the Monster Beats Solo (detach cable, volume control, solid build) but I heard they sound muddy.

So. Any Ideas?

Jan 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #2 of 3
Hey I have the same problem as you, swimmer's ears stopped me from using my hippos vb. I'd recommend ath-m50, sounds good and it's not very expensive. For similar sound quality HD-25 is good too and has more isolation but the m50s are more comfortable for long hours of use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back