Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 27, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #151 of 1,238

Quote:
Hey guys.  I'm really interested in the Mini Torrii with headphone jack. 

Question 1: Can someone give me a total price paid including shipping to the USA?  I sent a message last Thursday, I believe, and I haven't heard back yet.

Question 2: Currently, my interface is a ASUS Xonar Essence > Coax > Peachtree Nova. Would the Essence > RCA > Mini Torrii be a waste of time and sound aweful?   

Question 3: Assuming an external DAC is indeed a requirement, what DACs are being paired with the Mini?  I'm thinking of going with a Peachtree DACit or maybe an MHDT Havanna.  Or maybe something from Schitt or Burson or even the new ASUS Xonar One?  

I think i can help answer some.  I did find that it always took a few days before I would hear back from decware.  I actually found it to be quicker to call them when I needed an answer.

I just used their website for your first question and the total for a stock unit with the headphone mod and ground shipping came out to be like $1831.05.  Now I am just guessing but I think that would be fairly close to the cost within US shipping.  You can double check by just adding the amp to the shopping cart and click on the mods you want and they tally up the total for you with different options in shipping. 

I can't answer question two as I have external dacs

I use Ava EC vision Dac and Centrance dacmini and just got a ava ultra+ Dac and I so far am finding that I love the vision dac with the mini torii, though my ultra is still breaking in.  

I hope this is a little helpful for you bud 

Tink97

Mar 1, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #152 of 1,238
An answer - thanks to Chris J (one of our EEs on head-fi) who said this by PM (quoted with his permission):

If the output impedance of the Taboo is virtually zero, then you will get approx. 960 mW into 50 ohms.
But if the output Z of the Taboo is 6 ohms, then you will get approx. 2.39 W into a 50 ohm 'phone.

CJ based the 6 ohm assumption on the Taboo schematic on Decware's site. This second figure, while 'only' about 4 dB more than the first, does square with how the Taboo "sounds" to me which is dynamic and powerful even with the lowest gain 12AU7 driver. It also squares with Steve's answer of "a number of watts" IIRC quoted by another of our members.

I didn't pose the 38-ohm Zhp, but seems likely to be 3W or slightly more.

In other news, the NZ dollar is on a rare high ATM, making me strongly tempted to order a CSP2+ now rather than later this year as originally planned 
eek.gif

Quote:
Hi

What is the output power specification on the HEADPHONE out of the Taboo?? I've looked around without success

XX Watt in 38 ohm
XX Watt in 50 ohm

especially

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #153 of 1,238

Quote:
An answer - thanks to Chris J (one of our EEs on head-fi) who said this by PM (quoted with his permission):

If the output impedance of the Taboo is virtually zero, then you will get approx. 960 mW into 50 ohms.
But if the output Z of the Taboo is 6 ohms, then you will get approx. 2.39 W into a 50 ohm 'phone.

CJ based the 6 ohm assumption on the Taboo schematic on Decware's site. This second figure, while 'only' about 4 dB more than the first, does square with how the Taboo "sounds" to me which is dynamic and powerful even with the lowest gain 12AU7 driver. It also squares with Steve's answer of "a number of watts" IIRC quoted by another of our members.

I didn't pose the 38-ohm Zhp, but seems likely to be 3W or slightly more.

In other news, the NZ dollar is on a rare high ATM, making me strongly tempted to order a CSP2+ now rather than later this year as originally planned 
eek.gif

I assume that is per channel.

I remember reading Skylab saying his Mini Torri puts out 2-3 watts per channel (not sure if that figure is fact or a rough calculation) into 50 ohms but I don't know the output impedance of the Mini Torri.

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #154 of 1,238
They are sitting in 2 large boxes next to my desk at work taunting me.  The next 9 or so hours are going to make the previous 12 weeks seem short. 

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM Post #155 of 1,238

Quote:
They are sitting in 2 large boxes next to my desk at work taunting me.  The next 9 or so hours are going to make the previous 12 weeks seem short. 

Looking forward to your impressions with the HE-6 and in comparison to your Master-6.

Had my Master-6 2 days and I must say I am very impressed.

Mar 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #156 of 1,238
I based my calculation (with Zout = 0) on Decware's 6W/channel into 8 ohms, getting exactly the same result as Chris J: 960mW.

I'm sure he would have been consistent and carried this (per channel) into his second calculation.

Quote:
I assume that is per channel.

Mar 1, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #157 of 1,238
The output impedance of a transformer coupled tube amp isn't likely to be zero ohms :wink:

Mar 1, 2012 at 9:21 PM Post #159 of 1,238
There was a conspiracy of some sort today, involving issues with a monitor, my mac mini and W4S not playing at all well together.  However eventually everything got set up.  It's of course too early to offer any impressions, but I suspect I'll strongly favor the master 6 for the HE-6, and the CSP2 & Taboo for the HD800.   

However, no picture no proof.  

And the entire stand. 

The guy to the left, the one with fins, is Cui, my listening buddy.   He's annoyed he now has to swim to the top of the tank to keep an eye on me.  

Mar 1, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #161 of 1,238

Rob, you're right of course. That's what was wrong with my (more or less SS-based) calc 
wink_face.gif

The 2nd calculation (Chris J's) - not quoted in my reply to @nigeljames above - shows 2.39W/channel into 50 ohms and is the better one.

A much more plausible result.

@Nyvar - congrats! Beautiful. Would appreciate your thoughts on Taboo with & without CSP2+...

Quote:
The output impedance of a transformer coupled tube amp isn't likely to be zero ohms
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #162 of 1,238

Quote:
There was a conspiracy of some sort today, involving issues with a monitor, my mac mini and W4S not playing at all well together.  However eventually everything got set up.  It's of course too early to offer any impressions, but I suspect I'll strongly favor the master 6 for the HE-6, and the CSP2 & Taboo for the HD800.   

And the entire stand. 

The guy to the left, the one with fins, is Cui, my listening buddy.   He's annoyed he now has to swim to the top of the tank to keep an eye on me.  

What is that device in the lower left hand corner away from the rack?

Mar 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM Post #163 of 1,238
Well I just upgraded my CSP2+ order to be custom built with a Caribbean Rosewood (think LCD-2's wooden box) standard base and a gold attenuator. Should look beautiful when it arrives in another couple of months or less! I'll more than likely order the same base for a Taboo in the near future to go along with a possible set of ERRs.
cool.gif

-Daniel

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #164 of 1,238
Isn't the CSP2 better for high imp phones, while the Taboo only is suitable for <60 ohm planars? (quote: [size=x-small]It .... [/size][size=x-small]works well with speakers between 4 and 16 ohms AND Planar Head Phones (ear speakers) between 4 and 60 ohms.  )[/size]

Quote:

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #165 of 1,238

Quote:

And the entire stand. 

Nice set up you have there, looking forward to your impressions.
I have to say that even unbalanced my Beyer T1's have never sounded better than driven by the Master-6. They have never had bass like this before!
eek.gif

If possible, when everything is settled, could you try the Master-6 pre amp to the Taboo.
The Taboo is still on my shortlist and would be running from the Master-6 so any opinions would be apreciated.

Have fun

Users who are viewing this thread

Back