Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Mar 5, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #181 of 1,238

Quote:
I switched back to the stock Russians (I think?) 6N1P's. They have a warm, fatter sound. Goes better with my vinyl. The 3 JAN 6922's are NOS I believe from looking at the boxes. They're nice too and have more of a transparent, detailed sound. Better match for the HD650's.

I get a feeling the tubes in the preamp has more of a overall effect on the sound than the tubes in the amp itself. If I'd guess I'd say 60% preamp 40% amp, from what I'm hearing anyway. What tubes are you guys using on your CSP2? I'm thinking about picking up some more varieties.  

The driver tube will give you the biggest change in sound the little one in the front. I love the Genelex reissues.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:25 PM Post #182 of 1,238
Great, helpful impressions SemiAudiophile - keep 'em coming!

When you commented on the wider, more 3D soundstage with CSP2/Taboo combo, was this with Lucid switched on? Or it made no difference?

TIA 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 5, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #184 of 1,238
I have tried the TABOO with Sennheiser HD580 headphones and have done an A/B comparison with the CSP2+. I came to the conclusion that I liked the TABOO headphone jack better than the CSP2+. The TABOO is more forward, with more sparkle and verve, not that the CSP2+ was a slouch in any manner. The TABOO with headphones reminds me of the DECWARE MLB amp that I once owned. That, too was an output transformer unit that DECWARE made from 2004-2006, right before the CSP was introduced.

I just ordered DECWARE's new SE34I.3 amp and am waiting . . .

Mar 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #185 of 1,238
The new amp looks inviting. It will run on Kt77 also and there are some great genelex reissues out there for that amp. I like EL34 tubes also. I think down the line I may peek at one but I love the setup now. Riviera I agree the Taboo with the CSP2 headphone amp driving the T1 were nice indeed. Also no noise no after what type of headphone I used with it. Kind of cool to switch back and forth too.

Mar 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM Post #186 of 1,238
One month down, 2-3 months to go...?

This is taking forever! :p

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM Post #188 of 1,238

This is taking forever! :p

Yeah, but it will be so worth it.  I won't mention if you think it's forever now, just wait until they let you know they're winding your transformers. The worst for me was it packed on Friday and shipped on Monday. Let me tell you about a long weekend.....

Mar 12, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #189 of 1,238
Just put an order in for a taboo :) I'm going to try to forget about it since it's so far away and hopefully it'll just arrive on my doorstep one day.  I figure it's a lifelong investment so it's worth it to wait a bit.  Can't wait to get some speakers. I've been wanting some decent ones for a while

Mar 21, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #190 of 1,238
I've had a Taboo with LCD-2 for about 3 months now. I absolutely love the combination. The trouble is I can't stop myself from thinking about the LCD-3s and wonder just how they could possibly improve on the 2s. Before I do damage to my wallet I wanted to get some thoughts from others who listen to the LCD-3s on the Taboo and especially if they can compare with the LCD-2. I have searched around and have not come across anyone who has actually heard the combination. Anyone?

Mar 21, 2012 at 11:27 PM Post #191 of 1,238
Lets hope it is a terrible combination and I can buy your Taboo 
wink.gif

Quote:
I've had a Taboo with LCD-2 for about 3 months now. I absolutely love the combination. The trouble is I can't stop myself from thinking about the LCD-3s and wonder just how they could possibly improve on the 2s. Before I do damage to my wallet I wanted to get some thoughts from others who listen to the LCD-3s on the Taboo and especially if they can compare with the LCD-2. I have searched around and have not come across anyone who has actually heard the combination. Anyone?

Apr 3, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #194 of 1,238
Mono subs aren't uncommon really.  I think since it's a stereo preamp you might be able to use a Y adapter.  I'd check with Steve though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back