Decware Appreciation Thread (MT review up on first page 2-10-12)
Feb 17, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #136 of 1,238

Quote:
You have a headphone amp for your headphones. I would ckeck out the Prima Luna Amps in the 35-40W range. They are very nice amps and run on EL34,KT77,KT88,KT90 and bunch of other including 6550. If you need the 40 Watts for about 2K your good to go. 2250  for the 40W model with Genelex KT88 standard and included. You will drive the Gallo nicely with that and astill have your V200 for your LCD2

Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a look.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #137 of 1,238
Quote:
I just wish these amps had more power.

SE (single ended) amps have very clear sonics. They trade that sonic "clarity" for less power.

I'm an SE convert. Used to own PP (Push pull) but after I've made the switch, there is no turning back for me!

Everytime a friend or relative comes over to listen to my SE tube amp, without fail, the 1st thing they utter is "Its so CLEAR".

I respect the alternate views of those who favour 25W and above PP tube amps but for me, SE is the way to go. (and EL34 tubes too!) :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #138 of 1,238

Quote:
SE (single ended) amps have very clear sonics. They trade that sonic "clarity" for less power.

I'm an SE convert. Used to own PP (Push pull) but after I've made the switch, there is no turning back for me!

Everytime a friend or relative comes over to listen to my SE tube amp, without fail, the 1st thing they utter is "Its so CLEAR".

I respect the alternate views of those who favour 25W and above PP tube amps but for me, SE is the way to go. (and EL34 tubes too!) :)

Thanks for the info.  I'm going to be driving a pair of Gallo Strada's and I was hoping one of the Decwares could do the job but I think I'm going to need more power.  Still a toss up now between tubes and solid state for the Strada's.  However the Taboo is still relegated for summers end for my tube addition to my headphone rig, driving speakers with it was never a consideration for me but would have been a plus.

What SE amps do you like?

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #139 of 1,238
Quote:

What SE amps do you like?

I favour SE amps which use EL34s as output tubes.
Decware sells a few variants of SE based EL34 amps. IMHO, you can't go wrong with any of them! :)

SE - because of the sonic clarity as explained above. You will find that most Decware amps are SE in nature and with good reason because of this.

EL34 - because of the mid-range warmth and tonality especially for female vocals. On my SE tube amp, I can (and still) listen to Ella Fitzgerald all day long. Her sultry and life-like voice can melt any heart of stone!
EL34 tubes, the good ones such as Mullards XF2s which I'm using in my rig also have fantastic low end bass. The usual weakness of tube amps in general is that they have very weak bass.
Not so for the EL34 XF2 Mullard tubes.
Hence my rig can also be used for listening to the occasional pop/rock music with plenty of bass.

Feb 20, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #140 of 1,238
So does anyone here have the Decware Extended Range Radial speakers? I'm happy with my headphone selection right now... but I'm considering moving into the world of speakers. Would the ERR's + amplifier + source be enough to really have a great listening experience or are the ERR's more to complement floor speakers? What amp would be proper for the ERR's? (Mind you I already have the CSP2+ pre-amp on the way...) Any Decware speaker users able to comment on this for me?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 20, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #141 of 1,238
Hey Netbususer,

I can't really offer much help in opinions on those type of speakers but if you check out Decware forum they have a separate section for their products and they may have some good information there.

Feb 22, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #143 of 1,238
I did do a calculation which I subsequently deleted as the presence of the impedance transformer complicates it. I could not be sure a result based on SS assumptions was correct and it was therefore speculative and worthless.

Recently I found a paragraph in a paper which indicated that amps driving into higher impedance loads - as surely is the case here with the Taboo/50-ohm hp scenario, Taboo having been designed for 8 ohm speakers - reduces power but also improves headroom and lowers distortion slightly. I find this very interesting as the dynamics of the Taboo with my 50-ohm LCD2 are terrific.

FWIW

Feb 26, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #145 of 1,238
Since it is really a speaker amp, that makes perfect sense. Just get that and some Klipsch Heresey's and you're in business.

Feb 26, 2012 at 7:08 PM Post #147 of 1,238
Who knows Warrior Ant you may still get a taboo someday :)  

Still loving the mini torii and I should be getting a pair of HE500 this coming week to see how they sound with the MT.  The MT is sounding very nice and I found that when I swamped it with some different tubes the sound opened up a little more and the bass impact became a little nicer (tighter sound) The Sound still to me has that very natural sound with recordings done well.
With the LCD-2 I found with this new tube the instrument separation is a better, not a huge difference as the stock set is also very good.   I can in no better way say it,then I am able pin point the placement of instruments better.

I also have been using the tone knob to turn out the treble for my bad recordings and it most definitely helps to enjoy those songs.

What still gets me is when I listen to music it just sucks me in lol!  I find that I will listen to music and when a songs ends I just figure one more song....its like an addiction lol.

The tubes I am currently using are

Russian 6n6c output tubes 
EZ81 philips minwatt
12au7 Mazda/Cifte
The other tubes are stock.

I got most of the tubes from Upscale Audio.  I found they are great to deal with when buying tubes as I have gotten great tubes without any issues.

Enjoy the music everyone!

Tink97

Feb 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM Post #149 of 1,238

Just purchased a CSP2 from another member here. 

As someone who ordered one in November, got notice last week that they're packed, and hoping with fingers crossed they ship today so I receive them by Friday, I'm not sure whether to congratulate you, or revile you for your good fortune.   

I'll be a good sport and congratulate you.  I guess.  

Feb 27, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #150 of 1,238
Hey guys.  I'm really interested in the Mini Torrii with headphone jack. 

Question 1: Can someone give me a total price paid including shipping to the USA?  I sent a message last Thursday, I believe, and I haven't heard back yet.

Question 2: Currently, my interface is a ASUS Xonar Essence > Coax > Peachtree Nova. Would the Essence > RCA > Mini Torrii be a waste of time and sound aweful?   

Question 3: Assuming an external DAC is indeed a requirement, what DACs are being paired with the Mini?  I'm thinking of going with a Peachtree DACit or maybe an MHDT Havanna.  Or maybe something from Schitt or Burson or even the new ASUS Xonar One?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back