Decisions Decisions of those top few IEMS
Aug 13, 2011 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jiunhong

New Head-Fier
My IEM journey started with a UM1, and it moved in the last few years from Tf10 to Monsters MDT to Shure SE535.. 

I on the other hand own a Maverick D1 --> nEar 04 and a Denon D2000

I've just sold my SE535 away as I just find it a tad too uncomfortable and irritating in my ears. No idea if the sound is the factor or that irritating cables that I cannot get used to.

Therefore I was wondering whether it would be a better option for me to go for a Sony Ex1000 or the Westone 4. 

Basically I want to understand the two in difference based on well comfort. I hardly use my Denons due to it being too warm all the time. The longest ever IEM I owned was the TF10 which was awesome and I absolutely loved it but it started to sound v old and no longer any fun. 

Not to mention my bad time with dynamic drivers ( Monster MDT ). Its good but the comfort sucked and its quite difficult to keep on my ears ( weight). 

Thanks guys!

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 17
The ex1000 will be a little more bassy compared to the 4, but the 4 still has bass. Both are fairly relaxed and laid back. Ergonomics wise the 4's are a bit fat, but should be better than the ex1000's sticking out design

You could head to Jaben to audition them of course

Aug 13, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #3 of 17
Sticking out is not much issue as my tf10
Sticks out also.. I've audition w4 and a few others, however am audition at a shop
Do no show u how it feels day in day out, I want something where I can wear and it doesn't irritate me... The only earphones I've not hear is the ex1000, but like I said too short period of testing doesn't show the entire story like my se535, extremely painful

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #4 of 17
It's really just a gamble. I dont really like the feel of the wires on the ex1000. The loops remind me of the shure's and I've never heard of after Market cables for those. But If the se535s are painful then maybe the 4's might be the same?

I'm from SG too btw!:D

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #5 of 17
Yea, I could tell. I just cannot find a good sounding IEM that I can stick in my ears for prolong periods. (Which is like 30mins - 1hr tops ) before I find it a pain...

There are however a few IEMs I found to be a bliss to use, like the atrios or klipsch s4, but they sound rather bad ( no offense to anyone ).

And I'm that close to going customs but I don't like the idea of it looking like a hearing aid as well as a big piece of acrylic in my ears.

As you know SG is painfully warm, wearing anything too long makes ur ear feel crappy.. hahaha.. I tried w4 from stereo and my friend used to own one, but I think the tips stereo use is quite lousy.

Just makes me wonder if all these manufactures can build earphones that sound good, can't anyone design something thats comfortable too?.. haha 

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 17
Haha, my ears are normal sized, just the heat and maybe having something in the ear is irritating.. I tried IE8, hated the sound hahah... 

The TF10pros started out as being fumblesome and irritating, but its more comfortable than the rest.

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #8 of 17
That's probably why i have it too! ( the Tf10) Have you considered a reshell of the Tf10s? Adding a driver could be the upgrade you're waiting for!

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 17
I've sold my TF10 for cheaps, so hopefully someone can get to try some top tier IEM for lower price. I want a different sound, w4 sound is not bad, my d2000 is awesome sounding.. thats why considering between w4 and ex1000... was thinking of jumping for a used ex1000 and use it for a few weeks to see if I hate/love it

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #10 of 17
That's not a bad idea. In the end sound's subjective to our preference, but i pretty much like both of your choices alot since they're both nice and relaxed. Hopefully you'll find the one you like!

Aug 13, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #11 of 17
If you hate SE535's conch-filling style, then I doubt the Westone 4 is a good choice either. In regards of the EX1000, the shape of the IEM is very "unique". So, it will be very strange to wear them at first. However, in my opinion, once you get used to them, the EX1000 is one of the most comfortable universal IEMs (your mileage may vary of course!).

In terms of sound signature, I think the EX1000 is a lot more intense than the Westone 4, since the EX1000 focuses on having clarity as its selling point -- while the Westone 4 seems to be more... balanced, warmer, and more laidback than the EX1000.

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #12 of 17
I don't hate the SE535 filling style, I just hate it because it doesn't fit nicely where the feeling goes away... 

Seems like Ex1000 is sort of the most comfortable? with the fit being similar to TF10, rubbish looking but comfortable?

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 17
You are going to emphasize what you mean by "fit nicely where the feeling goes away"... there can be many factors for that. Is it the angle of the IEM? The cable?

And well, from what I say, yeah, the EX1000 is looks pretty **** weird, but fits pretty comfortably once you get used to them.

Though the isolation is really crap with the EX1000 because of the vents.
wink.gif

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #14 of 17
Have you considered SM3v2's ? The new curved design makes them pretty comfy compared to the old square design, they lay pretty much flat with your ear and don't stick out. Since to mentioned the ex1000 the sm3's are a warm headphone but not as bass heavy as the sony's from what I read.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 17
When I first received my Westone 4 I was surprised to find that they were much smaller than I had imagined. The online pics make them look much bigger than they really are. I use the triple flange tips and find them as a whole extremely comfortable. They fit my average sized ears perfectly. They don't protrude at all and are even very comfortable for sleeping with. With the triple flange tips isolation is very good approaching Etymotic territory. The cabling seems very strong and is very quiet. I was a little disappointed with their sound when I first got them. I thought they were lacking in highs or what I was used to being a CK10 fan. I've adjusted with them by applying a little high frequency boost. After owning them now for a number of months they are the first iem I reach for and use them daily because they do so many things right(comfort,isolation,ergonomics,build quality, sound). They're such a well rounded universal that it's hard to find fault with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back