DBA-02 (or B2) v. UM3x or Westone 4
Dec 1, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #46 of 49
Apples to watermelons, both sound way too different. If you like the HE-500 though, I'd stick with the W4. More up that family of sound signature's alley. The W4s are almost like the HD650 in IEM form, but with more mid-bass to upper-bass.

Hmm... Not sure what to make of that. I never owned the HD650, but I did own the HD580 (very very similar sound to the HD600) many years ago. At first I loved them (they were my first audiophile cans), but then I started getting paranoid after reading so much about their "veil", and started to find them boring.

Silly me, I was going to buy a used DBA-02 mkII this week but disagreed with the seller because I thought $140 + shipping was too much. Now I'm about to pull the trigger on a like-new Westone 4R for $350...

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #47 of 49
Quote:
Hmm... Not sure what to make of that. I never owned the HD650, but I did own the HD580 (very very similar sound to the HD600) many years ago. At first I loved them (they were my first audiophile cans), but then I started getting paranoid after reading so much about their "veil", and started to find them boring.
Silly me, I was going to buy a used DBA-02 mkII this week but disagreed with the seller because I thought $140 + shipping was too much. Now I'm about to pull the trigger on a like-new Westone 4R for $350...

Err, yeah, the W4 sort of has the veil as well. Don't know how you might take that. 350 for a 4R isn't anything special, they were selling them new at that price during Black Friday, most holidays really, at Earphonesolution. 

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #48 of 49
Err, yeah, the W4 sort of has the veil as well. Don't know how you might take that. 350 for a 4R isn't anything special, they were selling them new at that price during Black Friday, most holidays really, at Earphonesolution. 

Yeah, actually the seller got his W4R at Earphonesolution as well. He's only used them for an hour or so and really likes the sound, but they don't fit his ears well. He said that rather than returning them to the store he was willing to sell them to another Head-Fier at the special sale price. I'd definitely like to get them for less than $350, but it would be unfair to ask this person to sell them to me for less than that when he can simply mail them back to Earphonesolution. That said, I just noticed they have a 15% restocking fee... I think some reasonable bargaining to lower my price is in order :cool:

As for the veil... Such a hard decision! I'll keep reading to see what people have had to say.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back