Dasetn/Tingo/Baldoor earbuds Reviews and Impressions
Jun 7, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #662 of 1,160

TG-38S isn't trying to be M760, it's doing its own thing.
You likely have a bad pair.

well hearing difference, i just describe what im hearing and surprisingly, what an coincident that some shared the same experience that i had, however some not. Thus this is just my own impression so any 1 can take it or just ignore it =))

p/s: i bought another tingo but out of the box it sounded exactly the same with my current one so i dont even bother try to burn in it, however will let the old one goes all the way up to 200hours

Jun 7, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #663 of 1,160
  well hearing difference, i just describe what im hearing and surprisingly, what an coincident that some shared the same experience that i had, however some not. Thus this is just my own impression so any 1 can take it or just ignore it =))

p/s: i bought another tingo but out of the box it sounded exactly the same with my current one so i dont even bother try to burn in it, however will let the old one goes all the way up to 200hours

Probably don't have another defective pair statistically speaking. Some people probably just don't like the Tingo. I hope Tyll can take a quick listen to these budget DIY earbuds that are popping up or at least ClieOS

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #665 of 1,160
For me the 38s changed dramatically around 20 hours. Before still quite sibilant, after it was way less, maybe still 5% left and it is getting less and less. So after 200 hours either something happened to the buds or my ears/brain doesn't hear it anymore. The 38s are also very sensitive of recording quality. However it is definitely not a dark or warm bud like the anv3. To me they are neutral with highs which can sound aggressive if the recording allows this. What I mean u have recordings with nice rich highs and recordings were the highs sound quite aggressive.

Jun 7, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #666 of 1,160
Jun 7, 2014 at 8:54 AM Post #667 of 1,160
For me the 38s changed dramatically around 200 hours. Before still quite sibilant, after it was way less, maybe still 5% left and it is getting less and less. So after 200 hours either something happened to the buds or my ears/brain doesn't hear it anymore. The 38s are also very sensitive of recording quality. However it is definitely not a dark or warm bud like the anv3. To me they are neutral with highs which can sound aggressive if the recording allows this. What I mean u have recordings with nice rich highs and recordings were the highs sound quite aggressive.

I have 4 TG-38S, and none of them changed dramatically after burn-in. The change was noticeable, but not that big.
All four sounded great out of the box, showing their true potential immediately.

I think it was more time working than burn-in. Recently I took M3 out of the closet, and suddenly it sounded a lot better than ever before.
I think maybe it got rid of excess humidity or static electricity or anything else it acquired during shipping.

So all the TG-38S sufferers may try just putting it away for a few weeks, packed with silica gel.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #668 of 1,160
Mine 38s did not sound great out of the box. I could hear it potential as a fast and dynamic bud but the highs were very wonky, very detached and almost like an ego was present. Lucky that resolved for me, and I alternated them with other earbuds too so it's not that I didn't hear any comparison and got used to the highs of the 38s.

Jun 7, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #669 of 1,160
Mine 38s did not sound great out of the box. I could hear it potential as a fast and dynamic bud but the highs were very wonky, very detached and almost like an ego was present. Lucky that resolved for me, and I alternated them with other earbuds too so it's not that I didn't hear any comparison and got used to the highs of the 38s.

me too. at first it didn't sound great but after 20 hours burn in or so, it's the best buds.

Jun 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #670 of 1,160
If I had to guess, with respect to the bass of the TG38S, I have a feeling we're seeing the same general discussion that happens with the HD598. The bass easily, to me, seems to be the deciding factor on whether or not you like that headphone. To some, me included, the bass just feels underwhelming and boring, especially compared to the HD558. To others, the bass feels just right, is accurate and natural.

My initial listening was with alt rock which had a noticeable bass presence. Once I switched to Rachmaninoff's piano concerto #2 I didn't mind the bass as much. I could see myself using these for some relaxed non-involved listening. I'd still prefer a slightly stronger bass presence, but we shall see.

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #671 of 1,160
I still say that buds don't have headbands usually or silicone tips to hold them in so many people just take them as is. Others are tip rolling, pads rolling etc. and fixing their phones. Fix them up if you can. Many people want more bass or less treble emphasis from the TG38S. There are mods. Simple as swapping foams. There are thicker foams. The ones that come with the Tingo stock are thinner than some others. I know cause the other day I had to pick up my TC100 at the P.O. and only had the stock to use. I can see through them a bit when on the TC100. Now the TC100 are clearer sounding than the TG38S regardless of foams but I swapped out for foams I can no longer see through to the TC100 driver screen. So, your TG38S can use these foams and be warmer and less edgy on the treble if need be, so do it! Foams aren't gonna break the bank. The ones I use are from Vakoss and come 5 or 6 pairs for $0.99. On ebay there is a guy that sells different thicknesses as well and states this in his auctions. At least have donuts foams(you can make yourself) and different thickness foams in your arsenal if you are a bud fan :) so you can get the most out of them.

BTW, TC100 is the upgrade to the TG38S, IME so far. Bigger stage(mostly depth-wise), lower bass reach, and better fit, slightly better build, and makes the TG38S sound a bit muddier. Like the TG38S did to my Mikros, the TC100 has done to the TG38S and such is the circle of life. The TG38S doesn't hold my ears side by side. A fresh day I can go straight to it fine but not if I listen to the TC100 then the luster is lost and I would stick to the latter. Well done Tingo!!

Jun 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #673 of 1,160
True, forgot my decimal point and added the zero for clarity, lol.

and in true Head-fi spirit your fit kit could resemble this...

and don't forget electrical tape to go along with your caps, rings, socks, and foams :)

All I'm saying is put denser foams on your buds if you deem the need. No soldering, opening, and Blu-takin' 12 step mods here. Easy enough to not push them in the right direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back