Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Oct 10, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #2,536 of 14,511
Never drink and shop on the internet, pounded a 40 last night and this morning see that I have a National Union & KenRad VT231 shipping to me...lol. Yeah I'm a light weight.

You dont remember bragging about that? LOL.
Your tube hunting prowess is indeed unparalleled, my friend. :beyersmile:

Oct 10, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #2,537 of 14,511
Honestly @mrwasabi whatever you can afford. I think the PSVANE CV181-TII is the successor. They also had made a treasure globe 6sn7-se which looks like an old school light bulb. I heard they were good too but not cheap. But my budget limited me to the older black treasure tube cv181-z which is really a fantastic tube that I would highly recommend.
I concur, have the same tube and sounds great. Whatever you can afford brother. They're all good, just don't get the cheap looking clear ones.
0226191654.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #2,539 of 14,511
And I'll really try not to b r a g to much about them.. :D as I've read these are dark sounding, might not be such a good mesh with the Darkvoice, so we'll see.

Should be okay if you pair them with the right power tube. You know how this goes. Back to the synergy thing and what works. Maybe the winged C 6as7 which has got crisp/brighter highs, or bumping up to 6080/7236. Of course let us know how you make out!

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #2,543 of 14,511
I mentioned it on the 6SN7 thread about a pair of JAN CBRZ 7N7 coming in...but what are the odds this $3 tube is a Frankentube!? I just got it in on a hail mary hunch...and I'm stunned at the resemblance. I'll know for sure soon enough when the pair get end this weekend.

it’s hard to say from the angle of the photo, but it sure looks like it could be. There’s only one tall 7N7, and this looks like one. Good find whatever you have. Let us know!

Oct 11, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #2,544 of 14,511
it’s hard to say from the angle of the photo, but it sure looks like it could be. There’s only one tall 7N7, and this looks like one. Good find whatever you have. Let us know!
Not sure if you mean in the photo or in general as far as only one tall 7N7, I have a Sylvania, Philco, and this question mark on hand all different builds and all tall 7N7.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:02 PM Post #2,545 of 14,511
Not sure if you mean in the photo or in general as far as only one tall 7N7, I have a Sylvania, Philco, and this question mark on hand all different builds and all tall 7N7.

It was my impression that the Frankentube is the only tall 7N7, even though they may be branded differently. If I’m mistaken I stand corrected.

I assume a circuit change is required to use a 14N7 instead of a 7N7?

JKDJedi, I really appreciate the knowledge you share here; I’ve learned a lot.

Oct 11, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #2,546 of 14,511
It was my impression that the Frankentube is the only tall 7N7, even though they may be branded differently. If I’m mistaken I stand corrected.

14n7.. not sure, and no worries, I'm learning the same here from this thread. And from the 6SN7 thread, lot of surprises, right when you think you read it all, lol. Some of those guys come out of the woodworks. :D And yes there seems to be a dozen different tall 7N7 out there but of the dozen maybe half are from the same manufacturer. (O.o yeah I'm confused on that one two). Mainly Sylvania. Philco /National Union might be the one to design the JAN CBRZ for Lansdale distribution to the military. The only confirmed non Lansdale build to my knowledge is a General Electric 7N7. There might be others. If your new to the Frankentube, do a quick search on it, a user here at Headfi.org @bcowen named this perticular Lansdale tube the Frankentube because of its flat head top. But I think you know about it already as you mentioned its about as good as a Tung Sol round plate. (Now I want a Tung Sol round plate) do you have any tall 7N7?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #2,547 of 14,511
14n7.. not sure, and no worries, I'm learning the same here from this thread. And from the 6SN7 thread, lot of surprises, right when you think you read it all, lol. Some of those guys come out of the woodworks. :D And yes there seems to be a dozen different tall 7N7 out there but of the dozen maybe half are from the same manufacturer. (O.o yeah I'm confused on that one two). Mainly Sylvania. Philco /National Union might be the one to design the JAN CBRZ for Lansdale distribution to the military. The only confirmed non Lansdale build to my knowledge is a General Electric 7N7. There might be others. If your new to the Frankentube, do a quick search on it, a user here at Headfi.org @bcowen named this perticular Lansdale tube the Frankentube because of its flat head top. But I think you know about it already as you mentioned its about as good as a Tung Sol round plate. (Now I want a Tung Sol round plate) do you have any tall 7N7?

I do have the “Frankentube” - ordered a 7N7 blind off eBay, not knowing anything about this particular tube, and later found out it was highly thought of. And I have two Tung Sol round plates I picked up years ago at a ham fest, for maybe five bucks. Glad I didn’t pay today’s prices!

It’s been really fun trying out my stash of 6SN7s, maybe about three dozen, bought years ago. I’d say my favorite reasonably priced ones are the RCA black glass. But even they are getting expensive. That’s why I was so happy to find out about the 7N7 and the socket adapter - cheaper fun!

Oct 11, 2019 at 7:20 PM Post #2,548 of 14,511

Don't know too much about Frankie 7N7, but I am pretty sure that 14N7 will need circuit change, 14 could mean 14V (or 12V) of heater voltage, which is significantly higher than the 6V from 6SN7.

7N7 = 6SN7 , so I'm guessing 14N7 = 12SN7?

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #2,549 of 14,511
I do have the “Frankentube” - ordered a 7N7 blind off eBay, not knowing anything about this particular tube, and later found out it was highly thought of. And I have two Tung Sol round plates I picked up years ago at a ham fest, for maybe five bucks. Glad I didn’t pay today’s prices!

It’s been really fun trying out my stash of 6SN7s, maybe about three dozen, bought years ago. I’d say my favorite reasonably priced ones are the RCA black glass. But even they are getting expensive. That’s why I was so happy to find out about the 7N7 and the socket adapter - cheaper fun!
$5!? I want to cry... Wow that's crazy, did you know what you had when you got the Tung Sols?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back