Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Oct 6, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #2,507 of 14,501
I pulled on the cord instead of lifting it by the cap, which I usually do but in my haste.... yup..haste makes waste. I know little to zero about soldering, and did the YouTube video before attempting the reconstructive surgery. :D The one video I saw did recommend the lead free rosin core. So wondering now that I've saved my beloved VT99 if I should try the Fitz Mod or just let things be...

To the best of my knowledge, lead free solder is only good for environmental reasons, but no good for soldering, because it has a higher melting point. In the soldering process a higher melting point means you have to leave the hot ion on boards/parts longer, which can burn the boards/parts sometimes, especially for newbies. I figure you watched the wrong YouTube clip, maybe find another clip with a 2nd opinion. :D

But rosin core is always good - it helps to solder.

Oct 7, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #2,509 of 14,501
Between $30 to $50, and if you look enough people who don't know what they have... $3 Tall Bottles are the one's you want, and her'es a ok many thanks
@Taffy the tramp just don't forget you need a 7N7 to 6SN7 adapter!
Hi I'm still a newbie, just recived my used Darkvoice 336se added a NOS Brimar 6SN7GT ,with my HD650S WOW , I was verry happy with my headphones now ,WOW in the 1st 10 minutes much much better, sound stage bass much more controlled , Eva Cassidy sounds brilliant ,I'm happy as a pig in the Pervevial Doo Doo ,thanks again guy for all your help and advice

Oct 7, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #2,510 of 14,501
Hi it's me again , UPDATE TO Darkvoice 336se Amp ,I just dropped in a used USA jan 6080wa valve ,F### me WOW up to my neck in Doo Doo now ,its the best money I've EVER spent on hi-fi I've spent more on speaker cables than the whole lot inc upgrade valves etc ,i'm bloody stunned at how good it sound now after 20 minutes WOW WOW that's ne done for now maybe a dac ,lol

Oct 7, 2019 at 9:54 AM Post #2,512 of 14,501
I ,bow to superior knowledge ,lol ,yes bang on I'll try my HD600S when and if the arrive a new dealer on Amazon £88.00 for a good pair of used 600 ,its worth a punt I cant loose ,they can be rebuilt ,like the 6 million dollar man , now I'm showing my age ,thanks again
P.s have you heard Joni Mitchel " Both sides now " the latest 1 from the film" Love actually . Very dark and smokey " great track, When I googled it I was verry suprised who it was.

Oct 7, 2019 at 2:06 PM Post #2,514 of 14,501
I pulled on the cord instead of lifting it by the cap, which I usually do but in my haste.... yup..haste makes waste. I know little to zero about soldering, and did the YouTube video before attempting the reconstructive surgery. :D The one video I saw did recommend the lead free rosin core. So wondering now that I've saved my beloved VT99 if I should try the Fitz Mod or just let things be...
Thanks, I think I'll just leave it alone.
Your pull of the adapter cord connecting the cap hurts my soul, lol. As for the Fitz Mod, unless there's some tubes with that continue to have humming issues after proper burn-in, I would say no. The gain introduced by the mod is not something I'm happy with to be honest. I'm thinking of reversing the mod or seeing if a new volume pot would improve things. The stock 250K pot is a bit too much for this amp. Lately, I've just been too lazy and have been listening to my planars a lot.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,515 of 14,501
Your pull of the adapter cord connecting the cap hurts my soul, lol. As for the Fitz Mod, unless there's some tubes with that continue to have humminh issues after proper burn-in, I would say no. The gain introduced by the mod is not something I'm happy with to be honest. I'm thinking of reversing the mod or seeing if a new volume pot would improve things. The stock 250K pot is a bit too much for this amp. Lately, I've just been too lazy and have been listening to my planars a lot.
Lol....I nearly cried when it happened. Thanks, I'm not gonna mess with it, simple burn in process has been the go too. :)

Oct 8, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,518 of 14,501
Just popped in an NOS Sylvania 6as7a black plate from ebay I got for $6 plus $4.53 shipping. Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly suprised. Makes a new production Tung-Sol 6sn7gtb sound vintage. Will keep this combo in for a while.

I like these coke bottle shaped 6AS7G tubes....they really look sexy :)

Oct 8, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #2,519 of 14,501
I like these coke bottle shaped 6AS7G tubes....they really look sexy :)
Unfortunately it's not a coke bottle, just a plain glass tube, but it does have a nice glow:
20191008_115751.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back