1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
Next

Last
  1. Slade01
    @cddc its well worth it - each different variant brings something new and interesting to the music each and every time. its wonderful to be pleasantly surprised when you're stumbling into unexplored territory for sure.

cddc likes this.
  2. Slade01
    So I just want to add to the 7N7 as I am listening to it for the first time this evening. I've got a RCA JAN-CRC-6AS7G with a 7N7 CBS/Hytron Tallboy (also an almost Frankentube, just lacking the flattened top). I didn't know what to expect - but its one of those tubes that have again pleasantly surprised me. It is a highly musical tube, and as JKDJedi has stated, incredible sound, with above average instrument separation, and indeed lively. The biggest impression I have on this tube is that while its soundstage probably isn't as wide (not a concert hall) as the 6F8Gs per se, its still very satisfying in its own right -- it still has that reverb echo but while reducing that soundstage, gives the music a huge boost in what I can only describe as musical cohesiveness - maybe this is what is meant when something is very musical, but it truely brings about some sense of harmony -- a more intimate soundstage but the positioning of the instruments and vocals hits a great synergy with this tube. Also want to add that the bass sections are strong and delivers. This tube does alot of things right - one of the best all arounder tubes I have come across, with crisp and clear details, smooth vocals, and a solid bass performance. I'm happy to have been able to come across this tube. Thank you @JKDJedi for the heads up on this. Much appreciated.

cddc and JKDJedi like this.
  3. Taffy the tramp
    Many thanks ,So how do I find out if it a geuine 1950 philco silvania 7N7 ,and what sort of price please? Where are they made etc ,you've shown 3 pictures which is which please

4. Taffy the tramp

5. Taffy the tramp
    Great info thanks , I read on another site all 7N7 valves are made by Sylvanian ,except the tall bottle made by National Union Grey Glass 7N7 is this Tru and how the bloody hell do KNOW ALL This information ,ie 1950 nos better etc ,its a bloody expensive mine field to an old dummy like me ,I'm so glad there still good guys left like you to decipher the real deals price and where the good stuff is made and sold by, BS iters and fairy tales spun by sellers rogues ,idiots and down right liars and thieves

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    JKDJedi likes this.
  6. JKDJedi
    I've read that National Union has a grey glass bottle that's distinctly theirs. I also have a Tall Bottle that's Sylvania made. From the few articles I've read, Sylvania and RAytheon were the only one's making the 7N7 tubes for all other manufacturers. You got me really curious and now I'm searching the net furiously..lol, I'll update if I find any new news! EDIT: And yeah right away I just read from the Reference 6SN7 thread that it was RCA and Philco who created these. It's safe to say that Sylvania built the bulk of these 7N7 tubes for different companies.

7. Taffy the tramp
    Yes it was on head case 23 March 2006 in miscellaneous is where I read it
    What sort of prices do the NOS 1950 Sylviana 7N7 real Mcoy sell for please

8. JKDJedi
    i accidentally ripped the cap off my Sylvania VT99 CF8G tube!! *&%*&^$% I'm glad I held my cool.. went to Home Depot and got the cheapest soldering iron there, took me a half hour to figure out how to fix the cap in place as these things get extremely hot! I almost gave up when I noticed a very small pinhole top of the cap, seated it on the thin wire it was attached too, and just placed the tip of the soldering iron at the top...and it held!! Who knows for how long.
    2019-10-06 14.05.49-1.jpg received_920255065000414~2.jpeg

Slade01 likes this.
  9. JKDJedi
    Between $30 to $50, and if you look enough people who don't know what they have... $3 Tall Bottles are the one's you want, and her'es a pair, not matched. --> https://www.ebay.com/itm/7N7-loctal...=23322397756794bff175c57b4882a5831b8eedc92c9d

10. Slade01
    @Taffy the tramp just don't forget you need a 7N7 to 6SN7 adapter!

11. cddc
    Holy Moly, didn't know 6F8G was so fragile...why they have a metal cap, a stupid design. Glad they were succeeded by 6SN7...LOL

You should have picked up some solder with lead. Lead free solder has a higher melting point, so it's harder to work with. Non lead free solder with rosin core works the best.

12. cddc
    Hope everything works out, and you capless 6F8G will come back to life :D

13. cddc
    JKDJedi likes this.
  14. JKDJedi
    I pulled on the cord instead of lifting it by the cap, which I usually do but in my haste.... yup..haste makes waste. I know little to zero about soldering, and did the YouTube video before attempting the reconstructive surgery. :D The one video I saw did recommend the lead free rosin core. So wondering now that I've saved my beloved VT99 if I should try the Fitz Mod or just let things be...

cddc likes this.
  15. Keno18
    There's an old saying: If it ain't broke, don't fix it.:smile_phones:

Slade01 likes this.
First

Back
157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166
168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177
Next

Last