Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jun 23, 2019 at 1:43 AM Post #2,146 of 14,501
I know the DV used to be direct wired from reading up on the fitz mod (used to cure the hum problem with some 6sn7s) curious if the latest versions still are. I guess I'll wait until the warranty period is over before opening it up.
I purchased mine from Massdrop a few months ago and the internals are pretty much the same as those seen in the old Fitz mod posts, which helped me when I did the same mod on mine.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 1:19 PM Post #2,149 of 14,501
Thanks, I was hoping that was the case. Easier to maintain when it starts aging out.
Here is a photo I took before modding the amp:

rdllPx8l.jpg

p4NBnM7l.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,156 of 14,501
The hum on the left channel with the red base Tung Sol preamp tube didn't disappear on my amp :L3000: had to be more than 100 hours by now... anyway
Are the double straight black solid core wires that go into the tube sockets are the heater wires ? (Post #2149)
I was told i should replace them with braided solid core wire this will remove the hum instead of the 220uF capacitors.

Jun 25, 2019 at 2:59 PM Post #2,157 of 14,501
The hum on the left channel with the red base Tung Sol preamp tube didn't disappear on my amp :L3000: had to be more than 100 hours by now... anyway
Are the double straight black solid core wires that go into the tube sockets are the heater wires ? (Post #2149)
I was told i should replace them with braided solid core wire this will remove the hum instead of the 220uF capacitors.
Or get a nice NOS tube. Easiest fix.

Jun 25, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #2,158 of 14,501
Or get a nice NOS tube. Easiest fix.
NOS tubes generally buzz and, if so, require >24hrs of burn-in. I have quite a few NOS tubes that fit that description and I'm too impatient to wait two days or so to further age my tubes before I can start listening to the amp with them seated. Then again, I have to mod my amp again if I want to enjoy my 6C8G's because of the gain introduced by the 220uF caps.

Or you can cut the "A/C heater connection to the left channel earth" and create a "virtual zero point" to the chassis earth (Posts #1790 and #1793).

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #2,159 of 14,501
Or you can cut the "A/C heater connection to the left channel earth" and create a "virtual zero point" to the chassis earth (Posts #1790 and #1793).
My NOS tubes are still humming after about 60 hours. I was about to attempt the fitz mod, but I'd rather give this ago instead. I just can't quite make out the "virtual zero point" wiring. Is there a more detailed description on how to do that?

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:10 PM Post #2,160 of 14,501
NOS tubes generally buzz and, if so, require >24hrs of burn-in. I have quite a few NOS tubes that fit that description and I'm too impatient to wait two days or so to further age my tubes before I can start listening to the amp with them seated. Then again, I have to mod my amp again if I want to enjoy my 6C8G's because of the gain introduced by the 220uF caps.

I've had the opposite with NOS tubes with just one of them with a very low hum ($8 tube) and the rest just steller, maybe I've been lucky? And if I had the knowledge I'd be all over that Mod the same, I can see how it can help low impedance cans sound better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back