1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by heatfan12, Jul 31, 2008.
First

Back
136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
Next

Last
  1. ggillies
    I have not tried that particular tube. I'd be interested to find out if anyone here has tried both the Tung-Sol and the Sylvania 7236. Any opinions???

2. JKDJedi
    I might be out of the country by the time the Sylvania gets here, super anxious for this one. I'll keep ya guys posted if it gets here before I leave.

ggillies likes this.
  3. JKDJedi
    Co u ld we or should we be able to connect a CD Player, Turntable directly to the Darkvoice, just curious.

4. sennfan83261
    I don't see why not. They are sources like your standalone DAC. Your CD player has a DAC. Your turntable outputs should be fine too (see below). (NB: Not my rig)

[​IMG]

JKDJedi likes this.
  5. Amish
    You betcha.

6. Keno18
    A turntable with a magnetic cartridge would require a phono preamp if the turntable doesn't have one built-in.

7. Keno18
    Picked up a backup Tung-Sol 7236 tonight. One is not enough.:wink:

JKDJedi, ggillies and adeadcrab like this.
  8. sennfan83261
    Listening to what appears to be a Sylvania 6SN7GT (beige-lettering on its base, weird) with either a Tung-Sol 7236 (white-lettering) or a RCA 6AS7G (silver-lettering, 4-09 date code) as the power tube. Mid-size bottle having 939 and J8A as its date codes, so it appears to be from 1949 (39th week). Looking at its getter, one could think that it is a chrome-dome, but that appellation is usually reserved for early '50s 6SN7GT's. Don't care, as I took a flyer on this untested tube and got it for cheap. As for its sound, this tube has a pretty impressive soundstage and is slightly crisper sounding than the smoother-sounding '54 Sylvania 6SN7GTA I have.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    JKDJedi likes this.
  9. JKDJedi
    That could be 1959 (9 is underscored in the pic) 39th week, and looks to be a nice find. Rare to see the chrome come down that far at least for me. and I'm seeing other Sylvania codes dated 939 as 1949... wow you might have an early sample of the "Chrome Dome"..which yeah started in the early 50's (catching up on some reading ) Does this tube fully light up top to bottom?
    https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the-6sn7-identification-guide.209782/

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
  10. sennfan83261
    The problem with the 1959 theory is that apparently Sylvania phased out 6SN7GT's by 1953 or 1954 (I initially thought it was '59 too until I did some digging):

http://vintagetubeservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/Octal_Tubes_March_2018.pdf
    https://www.tubeworld.com/6sn7.htm#sylgt

As for their lighting, the top is completely obscured by the getter and only the lit up bottom portions of the two heater filaments are visible. So far, these T-plate 6SN7GT's are very clear sounding with really good bass extension. Probably the best $10 I've spent on a tube so far. I should compare these to a few Sylvania VT-231's I have.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    JKDJedi likes this.
  11. Keno18
    Its been two weeks since I've been running the DV. Everything's burned in and I'm really happy with the sound. The DV truly beats the Vali 2 even with both running a 6sn7gt mouse ears. Instrument separation is clearly audible with complex high frequency passages that the Vali just presents as a fog of conjested sound. Overall dynamics have an effortless quality where the Vali feels like it runs out of steam. Glad I made the purchase.

sennfan83261 likes this.
  12. Slade01
    You were right about the RCA Gray Glass. I'm gonna ride your streak and try a Westinghouse NOS. Hope its a good bank for the buck as I've heard.

13. Keno18
    To anyone who has done the Fitz mod: Have you noticed any changes to the sound quality of the DV besides the hum being gone? Brighter, darker, more pronounced frequency over another? I've read from one source that the mod changes the sound. I'm thinking of making the change myself and want to know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

14. sennfan83261
    Outside of volume gain, I can't tell whether the sound changed on mine using 220uF caps. People here mentioned that using caps having a capacitance less than 220uF (typically those using 100uF caps) will experience bass roll-off. I used two 220uF Nicohicon FG caps (you can use KZ too). The problem with the volume gain is that it lowers the listenable volume range. For me, the bottom of the volume range is pretty close to the threshold where channel imbalance kicks in (sound comes out of one side more than the other, tested on mono tracks to confirm). A quick fix is use my mediaplayer's EQ (Musicbee) to drop the pre-amp gain -10dB together with lowering the DAC output volume. Also, IMO, the higher gain from the Fitz Mod works against the 6C8G tubes that I have due to their 40 AF compared to 6SN7's 20 AF (AF = amplification factor). Luckily, the Fitz Mod is easily reversible.

15. Keno18
    Thanks for the detailed response, that's exactly the kind of information I was looking for. So 220uf at 25v. I'll order them next week.

First

Back
136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
Next

Last