Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Oct 19, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #4,233 of 14,501
Glove rolling?:dizzy_face:
giphy.gif

Oct 19, 2020 at 8:43 PM Post #4,234 of 14,501
My Jota amp came with white gloves. OK, so it was more than $4k. And it's not headphones. And this is subsequently totally irrelevant. Except the glove part. :grinning: :grinning:
Jota.jpg
Beautiful amp. Spending cash on something like a point to point hand wired amp with great components makes more sense to me than headphones that fall apart.
Your gonna need Michael Jackson gloves for that amp... Nice.
Yeah, they do look pretty similar..
E4D247A0-698D-4D1F-BB0F-2B6041F181D2.jpeg

Oct 19, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #4,235 of 14,501
My Jota amp came with white gloves. OK, so it was more than $4k. And it's not headphones. And this is subsequently totally irrelevant. Except the glove part. :grinning: :grinning:

Jota.jpg
I have 16 boxes of Rubber gloves, they came with a box from Harbor Freight!! :smile:

That Jota is one Sweeeeeettttt piece! Lucky B****** !!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #4,236 of 14,501
Oct 19, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #4,237 of 14,501
That Jota amp is a beauty, and it comes with gloves too! I bet you can't help yourself wear those gloves and watch yourself do some Adam West dance moves above the shiny reflective surface of that amp :joy: :joy: :

Ywlafrw.gif

Oct 19, 2020 at 10:57 PM Post #4,238 of 14,501
That Jota amp is a beauty, and it comes with gloves too! I bet you can't help yourself wear those gloves and watch yourself do some Adam West dance moves above the shiny reflective surface of that amp :joy: :joy: :

Ywlafrw.gif

ROFL! Yes, but only when nobody is home and the neighborhood has been evacuated....just to be sure I'm not seen. :laughing: :laughing:

Oct 20, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #4,239 of 14,501
IMG_5938.jpg

I have been letting the GEC L63 and Chatham 6080WA burn in a bit since they were NOS. I let the L63 run all night for a few. I do think I can hear a difference with the 6080WA or I just needed to listen to it more. It's been a nice addition and a pretty articulate power tube.. with a nice low-end. It surprised me as I owned a Chatham 6080 that I ended up letting it go. It's not as slow and deep as the winged-c, but still gets low. Maybe not quite as rounded off. It is like an in between of many 6as7g and 7236. I recommend it. The L63 are consistently revealing and detailed, but warm and mid-focused. I think they are not either that airy or tight, pretty natural and likely true to the recording. No problem with instrument separation, jazz and vocals are a bonus on these. They liked to be played loud. I also wonder if they would be a better match to headphones that have a more low and high-end emphasis. Just a thought.

5DDC6B51-9EDB-4597-8ABB-18051EF5D228.jpeg

Some new tubes arrived today. Still no 7A4 XXL adapter yet so I couldn't run them, National Union and Sylvania pairs. The RCA gray glass 6F8G sounded nice at first demo and I need to play them some more, these are a matched pair and I may let them go if someone needs a pair of 6F8Gs. The Sylvania 6J5GT were surprising good.. and at the price of $5 each, makes them a true bargain find.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 8:41 AM Post #4,240 of 14,501

I have been letting the GEC L63 and Chatham 6080WA burn in a bit since they were NOS. I let the L63 run all night for a few. I do think I can hear a difference with the 6080WA or I just needed to listen to it more. It's been a nice addition and a pretty articulate power tube.. with a nice low-end. It surprised me as I owned a Chatham 6080 that I ended up letting it go. It's not as slow and deep as the winged-c, but still gets low. Maybe not quite as rounded off. It is like an in between of many 6as7g and 7236. I recommend it. The L63 are consistently revealing and detailed, but warm and mid-focused. I think they are not either that airy or tight, pretty natural and likely true to the recording. No problem with instrument separation, jazz and vocals are a bonus on these. They liked to be played loud. I also wonder if they would be a better match to headphones that have a more low and high-end emphasis. Just a thought.

Some new tubes arrived today. Still no 7A4 XXL adapter yet so I couldn't run them, National Union and Sylvania pairs. The RCA gray glass 6F8G sounded nice at first demo and I need to play them some more, these are a matched pair and I may let them go if someone needs a pair of 6F8Gs. The Sylvania 6J5GT were surprising good.. and at the price of $5 each, makes them a true bargain find.

Love the look of those RCA's! And your sonic description of the L63's parallels mine pretty closely. Not my go-to tube(s) for rock or metal, but for classical they are an absolute delight. They partner nicely with a Cetron 7236 and a Russian 6N13S (6AS7G), are pretty decent with the TS 5998, but not the best synergy with RCA or Sylvania 6AS7's or 6080's being a bit too warm and lacking ultimate bass impact with those tubes. When it comes to the soundstaging thing, I popped the good old Frankentube (Sylvania 7N7) into the Darkvoice the other day and was once again immediately struck with the depth, separation and delineation that tube provides in that area. It was one of my top 2 tubes in the Schiit Lyr 3, but it failed to impress when I first plugged it into the (OTL) Incubus amp. Hadn't tried it in the DV up to that point, but here as well and partnered with the TS 5998 it does that soundstage thing big time. Beyond that, it's kind of a jack of all trades tube -- does pretty well at everything, but isn't an expert at anything. :grimacing: And when I'm in a heavy metal mood, these cheapie Pinnacles continue to impress. They're a Russian 6S2S, but I have no idea of their vintage or what factory they came out of and they need at least 25 hours of break-in before some initial stridency fades away. Probably on the solid state-ish side of things and NOT to be used with the 7236, but with the TS 5998 and/or Chatham 6AS7G, they hammer out bass notes like none other. Definitely the go-to tube if you want to blow the drivers out of your 'phones at some point. :grinning::grinning:

Pinnacle 6J5.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #4,241 of 14,501

Those Sylvania might be best for them HD6XX (as one member put it) that is a true bargain. They should sound the same as the military version of that tube. (VT-94D) They look carbon copy the same.. nice. And this is your 2nd round with the Chatham..lol, we have a user here who hated the Chatham.. (probably reading this at the moment) oh it was me! :D At least on the Darkvoice and was urged, persuaded to give it a chance on another amp. glad I did. And you might be on to something with that headphone thing.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #4,242 of 14,501
Love the look of those RCA's! And your sonic description of the L63's parallels mine pretty closely. Not my go-to tube(s) for rock or metal, but for classical they are an absolute delight. They partner nicely with a Cetron 7236 and a Russian 6N13S (6AS7G), are pretty decent with the TS 5998, but not the best synergy with RCA or Sylvania 6AS7's or 6080's being a bit too warm and lacking ultimate bass impact with those tubes. When it comes to the soundstaging thing, I popped the good old Frankentube (Sylvania 7N7) into the Darkvoice the other day and was once again immediately struck with the depth, separation and delineation that tube provides in that area. It was one of my top 2 tubes in the Schiit Lyr 3, but it failed to impress when I first plugged it into the (OTL) Incubus amp. Hadn't tried it in the DV up to that point, but here as well and partnered with the TS 5998 it does that soundstage thing big time. Beyond that, it's kind of a jack of all trades tube -- does pretty well at everything, but isn't an expert at anything. :grimacing: And when I'm in a heavy metal mood, these cheapie Pinnacles continue to impress. They're a Russian 6S2S, but I have no idea of their vintage or what factory they came out of and they need at least 25 hours of break-in before some initial stridency fades away. Probably on the solid state-ish side of things and NOT to be used with the 7236, but with the TS 5998 and/or Chatham 6AS7G, they hammer out bass notes like none other. Definitely the go-to tube if you want to blow the drivers out of your 'phones at some point. :grinning::grinning:

Have a Tung Sol 6520 (domino plated, :) ) coming in . .. will roll it with the Frankie and then these Pinnacles (maybe)... Been awhile for the Frankie. For those of you not in the know, BCOWEN found the Frankentube awhile back, and shared this find with his group (Lyr 3). (It's a true marvel of a tube) So many tubes so little time..

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #4,243 of 14,501
Yes, the tall Sylvania 7N7 correct? I read your praises before and have been looking for one to come up at a good price. I can pair it with the TS 5998. I’ve got to find one of these. The adapter is on the way.

The GECs did pair well with the Tung Sol 7236. I think since I’ve been rolling with the winged-c and 6080, initially miss the low end. I really need to snag a Chatham 6as7g soon, I let two go at a fair price and regret it. I wonder how it compares to the 6080WA (fuller, lower, rounder, slower but less detailed?) the pinnacles sound nice to try also. Thanks.

Yes, these and the military version VT-94D of the Sylvania’s look the same minus the branding. I’d like to get the JAN version just to compare. These metal based 6J5GTs can be had cheap still. I have a Raytheon VT-231 (6sn7) on the way and will be able to compare it to the VT-99 (6f8g) from the same vintage.

Oct 20, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #4,245 of 14,501
Yes, the tall Sylvania 7N7 correct? I read your praises before and have been looking for one to come up at a good price. I can pair it with the TS 5998. I’ve got to find one of these. The adapter is on the way.

The GECs did pair well with the Tung Sol 7236. I think since I’ve been rolling with the winged-c and 6080, initially miss the low end. I really need to snag a Chatham 6as7g soon, I let two go at a fair price and regret it. I wonder how it compares to the 6080WA (fuller, lower, rounder, slower but less detailed?) the pinnacles sound nice to try also. Thanks.

Yes, these and the military version VT-94D of the Sylvania’s look the same minus the branding. I’d like to get the JAN version just to compare. These metal based 6J5GTs can be had cheap still. I have a Raytheon VT-231 (6sn7) on the way and will be able to compare it to the VT-99 (6f8g) from the same vintage.
The Raytheon VT231 is ok .., I'm betting the 6F8G will be a better experience. The Chatham has a nice wide soundstage compared to the Winged C,the Winged C tightens things up as you already know, but I'm curious as to what year is your copy of the Winged C is? I've never heard anyone praise this as much as you have. I have a 67' NOS not the "new" version of these tubes,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back