Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Oct 19, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #4,216 of 14,503
Thank you. I don’t see any new 1st gens available anymore but the 2nd will do.
Here's one, 200ohm planars.
https://www.headphones.com/products/audeze-lcd-4-high-performance-open-back-over-ear-planar-magnetic-headphones?variant=32088578195527&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvRdAkNo9jLAYXf0QzcX6VYUQnXM6yj4BD7XE9Cf9wIUvXEmhgG-vtEaAp_9EALw_wcB
Screenshot_20201019-123957.png

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #4,217 of 14,503
Sarcasm? Haha but do any planars work well with tube amps like the DV?

$4,000 is quite rich for a headphone that is known to have some quality control issues. I guess you better hope you have a warranty. Cracking of the wood (why use wood??) rings..$500 to replace. A driver failed? $1,200 for a new pair as they are matched. Also $100 to replace the poor failed connectors. It’s like the exotic car (suckers!) of the headphone world.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #4,218 of 14,503
Sarcasm? Haha but do any planars work well with tube amps like the DV?

$4,000 is quite rich for a headphone that is known to have some quality control issues. I guess you better hope you have a warranty. Cracking of the wood (why use wood??) rings..$500 to replace. A driver failed? $1,200 for a new pair as they are matched. Also $100 to replace the poor failed connectors. It’s like the exotic car (suckers!) of the headphone world.
:upside_down: :dt880smile: :beyersmile: :dt880smile: Sorry, and yes, I concur, planars are not a good mix with tubed amps, but you'll get some guys in here who swear by them. I had a member who Pm'd me telling me how great his was.. what could I say? Congrats? :thinking: Now this guy I don't like so much but respect his reviews.. He's to honest.. He makes a blunt assessment between the HD6XX and the LCD-4. Check out the vid.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #4,219 of 14,503
5DA7339D-FDB8-4328-B33B-33C139E0AFC7.png

Link - doesn’t seem like they have good customer service either.

Oct 19, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #4,220 of 14,503
:upside_down: :dt880smile: :beyersmile: :dt880smile: Sorry, and yes, I concur, planars are not a good mix with tubed amps, but you'll get some guys in here who swear by them. I had a member who Pm'd me telling me how great his was.. what could I say? Congrats? :thinking: Now this guy I don't like so much but respect his reviews.. He's to honest.. He makes a blunt assessment between the HD6XX and the LCD-4. Check out the vid.

I easily talked myself out of the sennheiser hd800s at $1600. But I sometimes equate it to a well made guitar or something and I could maybe understand.

They are filling the top end niche and people will pay for “the best”.

The lcd-4 though..
I’m sure they sound great but 4 grand? Maybe they are handmade to order in the USA or maybe they take a couple weeks to produce? but I still wouldn’t pull that trigger myself. These companies may also spend so much in R&D that they have to recoup the costs. Down the road, the design breakthroughs tend to trickle down in their or other brands and allow the consumer to spend less.

I’ve never been to a CanJam but would gladly test them out for fun.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #4,221 of 14,503
I easily talked myself out of the sennheiser hd800s at $1600. But I sometimes equate it to a well made guitar or something and I could maybe understand.

The lcd-4 though..
I’m sure they sound great but 4 grand? Maybe they are handmade to order in the USA or maybe they take a couple weeks to produce? but I still wouldn’t pull that trigger myself.

The lcd-4 though..
I’m sure they sound great but 4 grand? Maybe they are handmade to order in the USA or maybe they take a couple weeks to produce? but I still wouldn’t pull that trigger myself. These companies may also spend so much in R&D that they have to recoup the costs. Down the road, the design breakthroughs tend to trickle down in their or other brands and allow the consumer to spend less.

But it comes with gloves! :D :D :smirk: ( Too rich for me the same )

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #4,222 of 14,503
Planars and low-impedance dynamics generally don't match well with OTL's like the Darkvoice. The former prefers a current-source over voltage, OTL's the Darkvoice being more voltage-dominated. The latter is negatively affected by the high output impedance values from OTL's like the Darkvoice. Anyways, my HE-6 and HE-500 just sounded wimpy from the Darkvoice. My Grado HF-3 sounded just flat-out wrong from the Darkvoice (mids are completely hollowed out). However, I am in Happytown with my high-impedance dynamics, HD6XX, driven by my Darkvoice*.

As for the LCD-4, I auditioned them once. Wasn't impressed.

*EDIT

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #4,223 of 14,503
Good input @sennfan83261. Darkvoice aside, has anyone heard an electrostatic setup? I have not but heard good things.

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #4,224 of 14,503
Good input @sennfan83261. Darkvoice aside, has anyone heard an electrostatic setup? I have not but heard good things.
I tried a Stax SR-009S driven by a Blue Hawaii Special Edition (https://www.headamp.com/products/blue-hawaii-se), it was detailed, spacious, ethereal, and just plain lovely when listening to "Hotel California" from the Eagles. The timbre sounded a bit more on the artificial side though. However, when I switched to a drum n' bass track, the bass came out sounding like farts, lol. I definitely recommend anyone to try an electrostat setup once though. With the right song and setup, it sounds otherworldly.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #4,225 of 14,503
Planars and low-impedance dynamics generally don't match well with OTL's like the Darkvoice. The former prefers a current-source over voltage, OTL's the Darkvoice being more voltage-dominated. The latter is negatively affected by the high output impedance values from OTL's like the Darkvoice. Anyways, my HE-6 and HE-500 just sounded wimpy from the Darkvoice. My Grado HF-3 sounded just flat-out wrong from the Darkvoice (mids are completely hollowed out). However, I am in Happytown with my high-impedance dynamics, HD6XX, driven by my Darkvoice*.

As for the LCD-4, I auditioned them once. Wasn't impressed.

*EDIT
But it comes with gloves!! 🤣😂 Ok I'll stop... Was teasing @therremans with the lcd4 thing.. 🤣😝

Oct 19, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #4,226 of 14,503
But it comes with gloves!! 🤣😂 Ok I'll stop... Was teasing @therremans with the lcd4 thing.. 🤣😝
Now thinking about it more, maybe the fact that the LCD-4 was a demo unit, and was undoubtedly passed around with ungloved, unclean hands, the sound was changed for the worse, :grin:. Surely, if I received the white-gloved treatment, then the LCD-4 would've sounded better, lol :joy::joy:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #4,227 of 14,503
Now thinking about it more, maybe the fact that the LCD-4 was a demo unit, and was undoubtedly passed around with ungloved, unclean hands, the sound was changed for the worse, :grin:. Surely, if I received the white-gloved treatment, then the LCD-4 would've sounded better, lol :joy::joy:
ROFL.... 😂🤣

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #4,228 of 14,503
ROFL.... 😂🤣
Wait, I meant the LCD-4 receiving the white-glove treatment, not me personally (I wonder what that entails? :thinking: ).

Oct 19, 2020 at 6:14 PM Post #4,229 of 14,503
Wait, I meant the LCD-4 receiving the white-glove treatment, not me personally (I wonder what that entails? :thinking: ).
Yeah, I knew what you meant. Haha it’s like receiving a Rolex with white gloves. Or if you look in the boot of a Ferrari, it has white gloves with the tire change kit... I’m more on a Seiko budget.

Oct 19, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #4,230 of 14,503
My Jota amp came with white gloves. OK, so it was more than $4k. And it's not headphones. And this is subsequently totally irrelevant. Except the glove part. :grinning: :grinning:

Jota.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back