Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #3,601 of 14,501
I like the National Unions as much as I like the Sylvanias, got that tube vibe I like going for them. Not over clinical, just enough details in the mids, everything else is just bliss. .
I actually like the sharpie a lot. First of all it gives you an idea how the tube tests. I don't like tubes that come with no measurements. Secondly, it can be removed by alcohol with easy. I always clean incoming tubes with iso alcohol, especially on the pins. So after I clean the pins with alcohol, I sometimes remove the sharpie marks. But in most cases I just leave the measurements there, they normally do not bother me, unless someone's writing is really ugly...LOL

As long as the sharpie doesn't cover any of the vulnerable silkscreen, I'm just fine.

Thanks...i didnt realize the marker can be removed by alcohol easily. I get pretty pissed when i see it done at all, it didn't even dawn on me to try to remove it . To me it is so akin to writing some details (e.g. "Great Condition") in a big fat sharpie on a Gibson or a Martin guitar before lets say selling it someone. I guess in some weird way, I find it just slightly disrespectful to the to the instrument.

Yeah in retrospect, its not all that bad. For the price i paid for this one, I could live it with it the writing on it. But write it on some higher end/highly coveted $$$ tube? Hell to the no.

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #3,602 of 14,501
It's good to have some writing on tubes so that you can remember how much each tube was tested at. If you have more than 10 tubes, you will possibly forget which tube tested at what level with time. Sharpie is much better than stickers, which sometimes can be a PITA to remove.

If you really don't like sharpie, just remove it with alcohol, but make sure you write down the test value somewhere (maybe on a box :)).

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #3,603 of 14,501
It's good to have some writing on tubes so that you can remember how much each tube was tested at. If you have more than 10 tubes, you will possibly forget which tube tested at what level with time. Sharpie is much better than stickers, which sometimes can be a PITA to remove.

If you really don't like sharpie, just remove it with alcohol, but make sure you write down the test value somewhere (maybe on a box :)).
Thanks...i didnt realize the marker can be removed by alcohol easily. I get pretty pissed when i see it done at all, it didn't even dawn on me to try to remove it . To me it is so akin to writing some details (e.g. "Great Condition") in a big fat sharpie on a Gibson or a Martin guitar before lets say selling it someone. I guess in some weird way, I find it just slightly disrespectful to the to the instrument.

Yeah in retrospect, its not all that bad. For the price i paid for this one, I could live it with it the writing on it. But write it on some higher end/highly coveted $$$ tube? Hell to the no.

Same here didn't realize alcohol was the trick! And so obvious! Thanks @bcowen for the mad tip! Now I'm thinking of keeping the tube I put up for sale ...lol. the huge OK marked on the base wiped off easy. Maybe they think these are used cars with the huge For Sale written in them. Anyways all good.

Jul 3, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,604 of 14,501
Same here didn't realize alcohol was the trick! And so obvious! Thanks @bcowen for the mad tip! Now I'm thinking of keeping the tube I put up for sale ...lol. the huge OK marked on the base wiped off easy. Maybe they think these are used cars with the huge For Sale written in them. Anyways all good.

For Sale is ugly...but if they put this car tested 4.5 s/100meter from 0, I'd keep it for good...LOL

Jul 3, 2020 at 11:38 PM Post #3,605 of 14,501

I always just write the measurements on the box. Some people are picky about boxes, but I'm not one of them. :)

Fotons July 2020.jpg

Jul 4, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #3,608 of 14,501
That Foton stash will for sure last more than one life...at least 7 I'll say :beyersmile:

No such thing as "too many backups". LOL!

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:23 PM Post #3,611 of 14,501
Does anyone have tube recommendations for chill electronic, chillwave, downtempo? I listen to everything but primarily electronic. Using HD6XXs.
You might like Tung Sol 7236 (thread favorited) and almost any preamp tube out there. RCA 6SN7GT is liked by most and Tung Sol (tall bottle) 6SN7GTB. My last post above is a nice mix for downtempo. Tung Sol 6SN7GT MOUSE EARS.

Jul 7, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #3,612 of 14,501
You might like Tung Sol 7236 (thread favorited) and almost any preamp tube out there. RCA 6SN7GT is liked by most and Tung Sol (tall bottle) 6SN7GTB. My last post above is a nice mix for downtempo. Tung Sol 6SN7GT MOUSE EARS.

I'll second the tung sol mouse ears. Also personally, i actually like to use the Shuguang Black Treasure CV181z with chillwave/electronica. Its soundstaging/holographic blend sounds really good for this genre in my opinion.

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #3,613 of 14,501
Tung Sol 7236

I'm quite new with tube rolling.
I just bought DV with RCA 6AS7G and Sylvania 6SN7GTB
Where can I get this Tung Sol 7236? Can't find it anywhere on internet or ebay.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #3,614 of 14,501
I'm quite new with tube rolling.
I just bought DV with RCA 6AS7G and Sylvania 6SN7
Where can I get this Tung Sol 7236? Can't find it anywhere on internet or ebay.
Yeah, good question. It's because @Slade01 and @bcowen bought them all. A good alternative I hear is the Cetron 7236.

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #3,615 of 14,501
Yeah, good question. It's because @Slade01 and @bcowen bought them all. A good alternative I hear is the Cetron 7236.

Lol. I wish. The Cetron is essentially a tung sol 7236 as Cetron bought Tung Sol in the 70s and used the same tooling equipment. You can also look for Cetron 7236 on ebay (there is one seller offering them but for about 60 a pop), and usually the ones you find are from Richardson Electronics Made which is indicative that their production date is early 80s. I have both a tung sol and a cetron/richardson, and they sound close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back