Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jul 2, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #3,587 of 14,511
But is at least nominally informed that they last 10,000 hours? Since it is a miliary tube?

Alot of military tube designations are identical in construction to the consumer versions. The differences in those lie in the testing and quality control (military required more rigorous / strict testing specs). Like @JKDJedi said - the 5692 is probably one of the only types that were specifically made for military and has that construction for rugged use.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #3,589 of 14,511
No, no. The question is related to the TS 5998. Is it a tube that the manufacturer says is 10,000 hours old? Regardless if it is true in practice.

Jul 2, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #3,590 of 14,511
No, no. The question is related to the TS 5998. Is it a tube that the manufacturer says is 10,000 hours old? Regardless if it is true in practice.
I've never heard of any such claims for the 5998 as a 10,000 hour tube. It'd be nice if all the tubes lasted 10,000 hours. Now I'm wondering what the natural life span is..hold on, gonna do a quick Google..

Their lifespan is determined by the type of power amp circuit they are utilised in—the power rating and circuit topology (push-pull or single-ended)—but somewhere between 1000 to 2000 hours is a reasonable estimate. N.O.S. power tubes are shorter-lived than preamp tubes and they're physically larger.

Google has spoken.

Jul 2, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #3,591 of 14,511
Gonna have some fun comparing these two Bad Boys. The getter flash on the Motorola is impressive.
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200702152836831_COVER.jpg00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200702152817458_COVER.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #3,592 of 14,511
Just as an aside....why do some tube sellers write directly on the tubes with a sharpie??? This kills me.

Sharpie ink wipes off very easily with some alcohol. Unless of course they're written over the manufacturers silkscreen, which would then likely come off with the Sharpie ink. THAT would kill me. Probably like instantly. :) What I hate is when they use those cheap little paper stickers that shred into little pieces and leave sticky gunk all over when you try and pull them off. Even alcohol is almost useless (especially on the adhesive on Russian stickers) , and it's time for the Goo Gone....which then has to be cleaned off itself. Arrrggghhh. First world problems, I suppose. :)

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #3,593 of 14,511
Sharpie ink wipes off very easily with some alcohol. Unless of course they're written over the manufacturers silkscreen, which would then likely come off with the Sharpie ink. THAT would kill me. Probably like instantly. :) What I hate is when they use those cheap little paper stickers that shred into little pieces and leave sticky gunk all over when you try and pull them off. Even alcohol is almost useless (especially on the adhesive on Russian stickers) , and it's time for the Goo Gone....which then has to be cleaned off itself. Arrrggghhh. First world problems, I suppose. :)
Blame it on the alcohol...

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #3,594 of 14,511
Jul 2, 2020 at 8:19 PM Post #3,595 of 14,511

Thankfully not on any silk screen. Will try the alcohol. Because i do not want to be reminded that the tube tested 106/100 each and every time i have to look down at it. Maybe if he wrote it in some fancy cool calligraphy it wouldnt be as bad.

Oh and hell yes the annoying paper stickers are a pain in the a** when it leaves that residue.

20200702_092229.jpg

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #3,596 of 14,511
Thankfully not on any silk screen. Will try the alcohol. Because i do not want to be reminded that the tube tested 106/100 each and every time i have to look down at it. Maybe if he wrote it in some fancy cool calligraphy it wouldnt be as bad.

Oh and hell yes the annoying paper stickers are a pain in the a** when it leaves that residue.

20200702_092229.jpg
That should come easy with alcohol (hope so). And wow... everything is spotless on your setup. Which tubes are those?

Jul 2, 2020 at 8:32 PM Post #3,598 of 14,511
That should come easy with alcohol (hope so). And wow... everything is spotless on your setup. Which tubes are those?

This one was a bargain basement find a Sonora 6SN7GT (really a National Union Black Glass (Code 247), I'm guessing 1951 with the date code (51-5). I've paired it initially with a Winged C power tube to help with the soundstage and brightness. The tube itself is already warm, good mid bass, so just trying to tame it a touch, though its a bit micro-phonic still so i'm leaving it to burn in a bit for now. You know, me and my basement finds...this one was a 10 dollar tube.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020 at 10:25 PM Post #3,599 of 14,511
This one was a bargain basement find a Sonora 6SN7GT (really a National Union Black Glass (Code 247), I'm guessing 1951 with the date code (51-5). I've paired it initially with a Winged C power tube to help with the soundstage and brightness. The tube itself is already warm, good mid bass, so just trying to tame it a touch, though its a bit micro-phonic still so i'm leaving it to burn in a bit for now. You know, me and my basement finds...this one was a 10 dollar tube.
I like the National Unions as much as I like the Sylvanias, got that tube vibe I like going for them. Not over clinical, just enough details in the mids, everything else is just bliss. .

Jul 3, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #3,600 of 14,511

20200702_092229.jpg

I actually like the sharpie a lot. First of all it gives you an idea how the tube tests. I don't like tubes that come with no measurements. Secondly, it can be removed by alcohol with easy. I always clean incoming tubes with iso alcohol, especially on the pins. So after I clean the pins with alcohol, I sometimes remove the sharpie marks. But in most cases I just leave the measurements there, they normally do not bother me, unless someone's writing is really ugly...LOL

As long as the sharpie doesn't cover any of the vulnerable silkscreen, I'm just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back