Darkvoice 336i & 336SE Tuberolling PartII
Jul 17, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #2,209 of 14,518
I sold a NFB 11 a few months back just to buy more tubes.. :D now just the iFi here.. :D and yeah, just use it maybe once a month or so :D
To be honest I try to listen to my Vali 2 (with a 6sn7) or a vintage Proton 930 receiver, I just want to go back to the DV. I just use the dac portion of the ifi nano bl to feed the DV. Frankly, I am happy with the tubes I have. The only other amp I'll listen to for any amount of time is a modified Bravo V2 with an rca 12au7 clear top because the highs remind me of the DV.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:07 PM Post #2,211 of 14,518
I really liked the Sylvania 6SN7GT Chrome Dome tube, grabbed/won a new pair just now:D Gotta love eBay! These are newer (NOS) or tested better than the one I have now so interested to see how these sound.
Screenshot_20190720-171321.png

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #2,213 of 14,518
you can find them super cheap, dont pay full price. saw one listed for $65, and the ones I won were a fraction of that price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-6...hrome-Dome-1948-Tested-GREAT-NOS/192984547291

Sylvania 6SN7GT version #1
Also JAN-CHS-6SN7GT
Identical to VT-231s except:
- Green printing seen on black base; white labels are much rarer.
- Made in the 1950s.
- Flat plate versions exist across all year of make (very rare).

Base: black, green labels, triangular Sylvania logo with ‘lightning bolt’ through logo.
Glass: clear
Plates: black, T-plate, (or rarely, flat black plates) with 2 holes per plate
Getter: bottom, foil, flashing can extend up to 1/3 of way up tube
Top mica: rectangular, (flat plate versions have round top and bottom micas)
Other significant features: when seen, date codes are vertically arranged (from top to bottom) ‘YWW’ with Y underlined. Y = last digit of year, WW = week number of year.

EDITED: I just remembered Sennfann s post about the dates and had to edit my thoughts on the dates. It appears they started in the 40's and ended mid 50's, speaking of the 6SN7GT

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 11:24 PM Post #2,215 of 14,518
Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #2,216 of 14,518
you can find them super cheap, dont pay full price. saw one listed for $65, and the ones I won were a fraction of that price.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sylvania-6...hrome-Dome-1948-Tested-GREAT-NOS/192984547291

Sylvania 6SN7GT version #1
--snip--
Other significant features: when seen, date codes are vertically arranged (from top to bottom) ‘YWW’ with Y underlined. Y = last digit of year, WW = week number of year.

EDITED: I just remembered Sennfann s post about the dates and had to edit my thoughts on the dates. It appears they started in the 40's and ended mid 50's, speaking of the 6SN7GT
Lol, that ebay'er is selling two 6SN7GTBs at that inflated price (angled plates shown and the glass-top indicators state "GTB"), so many con-artists on ebay. Also, thanks for bringing up that 6SN7GT description. Save for the color of the printing, and obviously the year ("1949"), everything else matches. I prefer the '49 Sylvania 6SN7GT to the VT-231's I have (2), as the '49 6SN7GT sounds a bit cleaner without losing that trademark Sylvania warmth and has more bass than the VT-231's**.

Interesting that the seller grouped the 6SN7GTA as a "chrome dome." Also, how could the the listed 6SN7GTA and 6SN7GT be a matched pair (both have different peak powers)? Also, I like to think that there is a reason why the seller didn't post a photo showing the date code on their respective bases. To me, this ad has a few red flags notwithstanding its exorbitant price.

EDIT: **One of the VT-231's I tried was a bit grainy, which may be due to it being a tired, old tube.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #2,217 of 14,518
Lol, that ebay'er is selling two 6SN7GTBs at that inflated price (angled plates shown and the glass-top indicators state "GTB"), so many con-artists on ebay. Also, thanks for bringing up that 6SN7GT description. Save for the color of the printing, and obviously the year ("1949"), everything else matches. I prefer the '49 Sylvania 6SN7GT to the VT-231's I have (2), as the '49 6SN7GT sounds a bit cleaner without losing that trademark Sylvania warmth and has more bass than the VT-231's.

Interesting that the seller grouped the 6SN7GTA as a "chrome dome." Also, how could the the listed 6SN7GTA and 6SN7GT be a matched pair (both have different peak powers)? Also, I like to think that there is a reason why the seller didn't post a photo showing the date code on their respective bases. To me, this ad has a few red flags notwithstanding its exorbitant price.
Good catch! yeah, good to know some history on these tubes. I downloaded that documentation you posted earlier, thanks for the link. So I might have some (hopefully genuine "Bad Boys") coming in but ..yes but, as you know Ebay sellers do, this listing was for a pair, and on purchase the item listing said 1... are u kidding me!? lol, so if it's a pair, a working pair, I got a steal, if it's just one then yeah, not so much a steal. so we'll see!

Jul 21, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,218 of 14,518
Screenshot 2019-07-21 10.54.59 (edited-Pixlr).jpg

Tidal Playlist: https://tidal.com/browse/playlist/fdc5e5db-34b7-43ab-9428-40da1c036f2c

Preamp Tubes: Shu Guang CV181-Z / Sylvania 6SN7GT / GE 6SN7GTA

Headphone: Sennheiser HD6XX (Dekoni Sheepskin Pads w/ Mogami Cable)

Shu Guang CV181-Z

Wow...right away you can hear that the Sylvania 7236 has a wider sound, not as impactful as the Tung Sol in the thump (bass) department but still fun to listen too. Gonna give the initial listen to the Sylvania here. Although vocals seem more controlled on the Tung-Sol 7236 when it gets busy. Man this sounds good (with the Sylvania 7236) turned up.. So...I'm gonna give the Tung Sol another spin..because I'm surprised here honestly. (note...Darkvoice gets really hot with these 7236 tubes, or am I suppose to wait 10minutes :D) Burned my finger! So yes the Tung Sol bass has nice roll off and presence here, and vocals slightly tighter as mentioned, but I don't want to turn it up like I do with the Sylvania. Tie? (I hate ties) This round goes to the Sylvania 7236, it's balanced and non fatiguing sound wins it when paired with the Shu Guang CV181-Z

Up Next?

Sylvania 6SN7GT (1953)

(I often wonder when they built these tubes, did they ever think what would be played on them decades later?) and yes...Dat Bass on the Sylvania GT tubes...to die for.. grab a pair when you can! Silky smooth sound here with the Tung Sol, (I'm a Sylvania GT fan boy now) Just want to end the comparison here, TUng Sol Wins! no wait, let me warm up the Sylvania for a listen ;D So the weird thing about the Sylvania 7236 here, is it seems mids are pushed away center to the outside, and because of that I want to turn it up, I'm told that a 7236 is a 7236, that they all have the same amplification (4.5?) vs 2 of the 6080 tubes, whatever that means. and because the mids are more forward on the Tung-Sol to my ears they sound louder. Right now I honestly don't know which I enjoy more. For the Sennheiser a wide tube just adds to the overall listening experience. And the Slyvania 7236 is just that, a slightly brighter and wider tube. tough one here guys, I have to give it to the Tung Sol though, it's lushness edges out the Sylvania when paired with the Slyvania 6SN7GT.

Up Next?

General Electric 6SN7GTA Side Getter (1954)

Man I forgot how clean these GE side getters sound. Probably the most neutral tube I have, with just a slight treble bump, (This playing off the Sylvania 7236). The vocals appear a bit dry and when it get's busy the mids struggle a bit. I'm almost sure the Tung Sol will best this comparison, warming up, and..
yes, vocals are more appetizing on the Tun Sol. there is a slight reduction with the treble. Debating with myself on sounstage, Are the Sylvania's wider, or do they just sound wide because of the reduced mid range? Have to add, these GE compared to the Sylvania 6SN7GT... are sterile. Get A Sylvania, you might just never buy another preamp. That good.

I was really rooting for the Slyvania 7236, and by itself is a good tube, (especially with the Black Treasure preamp tube) However, when compared to the Tung-Sol 7236, (and we all new it, the Tung Sol has it's reputation already), it just sounds more like a tube. warm, lush, and inviting. I had fun writing this up, till the next one!
IMG_20190721_113106.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,220 of 14,518
Just got these in (two Sylvania 6SN7GT) and noticed the 1948 getter is almost all the way down to the base (center) the other two are 1953. I am really surprised on the Sylvania sound, right when I thought the Westinghouse were pound for pound the best these drop into my lap. Super rich in sound and only pennies compared to the rich man's tube collection. Although I wouldn't mind having a few of those. :wink: (gonna a and b these with the Westinghouse this weekend)
IMG_20190724_115047.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back