DAP-off! Astell&Kern, Sony, HiFiMan, Chord, FiiO, Lotoo, Soundaware, Hiby, Cayin & others
Aug 24, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #2,041 of 2,125
What do you mean by strong treble? It sounds like treble is boosted. If you mean low range treble, that part supports definition, but if done too much or headphone is emphasizing it, it sounds too bright. Just to get an idea, is HD800 a fav headphone of yours? Do you like the tonality of it?

Sometimes there is good polarity in people's preferences. Some people like sparkle and others like dark, and if they review and say something is fantastic, you maybe in for a surprise if their taste is opposite what you like. So, auditioning makes the best sense instead of going blindly like Barra says.

I found HD800's midrange to be a bit too mature / serious sounding as a whole, HD800S is much better.

I really love ie800, RE-2000, Xelento, and Signature Studio. Those have really good signatures to me, each has a another approach, but all are really good.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #2,045 of 2,125
Do the Opus DAPs have some similarities in sound to the AK? I haven't tried any of the TOTL Sonys yet, but I had the idea that they tend to be a bit colored in sound.

I think that Sonys are a bit colored and tilted towards warm / smooth, even slightly rolled off.

I agree with @Whitigir , Judging from Opus #3's sound and some reviews, you could like Opus #2 quite a lot.

I can't commend on how it compares to AK, but it is supposed to be even better than #3, and #3 is already really high in my list of sources, up there with DX200, iDSD BL and Hugo.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:30 PM Post #2,046 of 2,125
Not sure if Opus #2 would fit what I look for. I've noticed that ESS based players have similar ESS house sound that has that abruptness in treble, a bit forward with accentuated textures. Personally, I like resolving, but without such level of accentuation. I tend to like the AKs that include Cirrus Logic or AKM DAC chips in them.

Aug 24, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #2,047 of 2,125
Here are the reviews including mine
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/audio-opus-opus-2.21788/reviews#review-17645

Not sure if Opus #2 would fit what I look for. I've noticed that ESS based players have similar ESS house sound that has that abruptness in treble, a bit forward with accentuated textures. Personally, I like resolving, but without such level of accentuation. I tend to like the AKs that include Cirrus Logic or AKM DAC chips in them.

Short answer ? When ESS done right, it has nothing you meantioned aboves

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2017 at 8:06 PM Post #2,048 of 2,125
Aug 25, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #2,049 of 2,125

Yeah that is not how I perceive the Opus #2, it all depends on implementation and the Opus #2 does not sound like cheaper ESS based designs, it is smooth yet neutral and detailed with no tilt towards the treble. It is very resolving.

Aug 25, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,050 of 2,125
Yeah that is not how I perceive the Opus #2, it all depends on implementation and the Opus #2 does not sound like cheaper ESS based designs, it is smooth yet neutral and detailed with no tilt towards the treble. It is very resolving.

This reminds me of how DX200 sounds like. I was expecting it to be much brighter, but it sounds like you describe Opus #2, although it is based on an ESS PRO chip as well. Natural, detailed, and romantic.

I really need to get my hands on an Opus #2 to learn more about it sometime soon :)

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:07 AM Post #2,051 of 2,125
This reminds me of how DX200 sounds like. I was expecting it to be much brighter, but it sounds like you describe Opus #2, although it is based on an ESS PRO chip as well. Natural, detailed, and romantic.

I really need to get my hands on an Opus #2 to learn more about it sometime soon :)

To be honest I would actually say the Opus #3 is a tiny bit brighter than the Opus #2, again this is my subjective thoughts.

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #2,052 of 2,125
To be honest I would actually say the Opus #3 is a tiny bit brighter than the Opus #2, again this is my subjective thoughts.
You are correct, and it surprised me that burrbrown could be tuned this way. The good thing opus 3 does is keeping the bass bloom from BB. It is enjoyable but not as good as opus 2 and that is why I still hold opus 2 in high regard

Aug 25, 2017 at 6:33 AM Post #2,053 of 2,125
Opus 3 has a warmish dac.

Aug 25, 2017 at 11:46 AM Post #2,055 of 2,125
Opus 3 has a warmish dac.

Have you tested back to back with the Opus #2?

Also it is not all about the DAC chip, but more about implementation :)

Warmish doesn't have to be different from bright, but I think that it is farily neutral in the bass and lower mids, it is not as warm like X5ii was.

I also agree, even compared to DX200, Opus #3 feels like it has a bit more enhancement in the treble, so I guess that DX200 and Opus #2 are really similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back