Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 20, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #4,757 of 5,996
It is not that there are people willing to write about Stealth and they are blocked or their posts are ignored when we talk about amps. I see two people, for example, above complaining: One complains that we talk about measurements, the other complains but he doesn't have the Stealth and doesn't ask any related questions. I have been a very pro-Stealth member since I got it and defended it against any misunderstanding and bashing. I don't know what else to do if nobody brings up a Stealth related question.

Anyway. I am subscribed to two threads on HeadFi: This one and M17. Not even Susvara. I am not going to add another to the list.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #4,758 of 5,996
I think I am not in the high end game anymore. I just tried the (wife's) A90 + ADI-2 with Stealth and added 5 dB shelf 200 Hz down, and it handles it like a champ. I can barely get passed the 9'o clock, too. I can understand someone not liking the flat sound but not being able to handle the bass dynamics is quite a bit of an exaggeration to me. Or maybe the music types I listen to and my expectations are quite different.
20220820_185524_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #4,759 of 5,996
I think genre of music and bass preference makes a big difference. If you talk to a Grado fan and an Abyss fan you will get completely different answers. The key is finding what your happy with, and comfortable spending. Cost is a major consideration for most. Bang for the buck is important. For others, double the price for a 10% increase in performance is money well spent. As long as you hear a difference and feel the cost is justified good for you.

Aug 21, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #4,761 of 5,996
Two new portable alternatives for driving Stealth: Topping G5 and FiiO BTR7. Especially the Topping G5 seems to be a major win. Follow the links for reviews and measurements.

"Topping G5 Listening Tests
I started with my hard to drive, low impedance Dan Clark Stealth headphone. I was pleased that I could get pretty high volumes out of it using high gain. For loud listening, I had to go to 3:00 pm on the volume control. There was a bit more volume to be had if you turned it to max." There, I only heard distortion when the sub-bass notes arrived. Otherwise, the sound was super clean, detailed and enjoyable.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #4,762 of 5,996
I have not read all 300 pages, but can't you simply use a $500 Chord Mojo to drive this thing? It works for the AFC 2 Noire, so I would be quite surprised if the Chord Mojo is "too weak" for the Stealth.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #4,763 of 5,996
I tried Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon 2 Closed 2 years ago. They sounded absolutely horrible, much worse than even my bluetooth headphones. Their sound was insanely bad.

Now we have the $4000 Stealth. Is this a big improvement ?

Aug 21, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #4,764 of 5,996
I tried Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon 2 Closed 2 years ago. They sounded absolutely horrible, much worse than even my bluetooth headphones. Their sound was insanely bad.

Now we have the $4000 Stealth. Is this a big improvement ?

It depends if you are concerned with a Harman Target frequency response curve...
It seems such target concerns more or less 60% of the listeners. So like 40%, you may not like the Stealth too.
On my side, basically I think The DCA Stealth is a "pure" Harman reference, so I have to EQ a bit for lowering low frequencies to avoid a bit too muddy low/ultra low frequencies for my taste... I prefer deep clear and fast impacts (the HEDDphone One is the king for such target).
Some other here are finding that there are not enough low frequencies for their taste..

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #4,765 of 5,996
It seems such target concerns more or less 60% of the listeners.
Source?
I prefer deep clear and fast impacts (the HEDDphone One is the king for such target).
Hardly something I would describe the Hedd. It's bass is not deep and is on the lite side. Stealth makes Hedd sound like a toy.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:10 AM Post #4,766 of 5,996
I have not read all 300 pages, but can't you simply use a $500 Chord Mojo to drive this thing? It works for the AFC 2 Noire, so I would be quite surprised if the Chord Mojo is "too weak" for the Stealth.
Stealth has lower sensitivity compared to Noire. But you can still get a reasonable volume out of it with the mojo. Probably not the best choice if you want to listen at louder volume though.

Aug 21, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4,767 of 5,996
Source?

Hardly something I would describe the Hedd. It's bass is not deep and is on the lite side. Stealth makes Hedd sound like a toy.
I own and use both .. I would say impacts in the throat of the HEDD is like an absolute reference for me... the Stealth without EQ in lows is like a bit "muddy" compared to the Hedd.

Aug 21, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #4,768 of 5,996

I can't find their calculation again ... but conclusion of some Harman's presentation of the preferred target response .. clearly show that many factors can explain why a pure harman target won't suit so many people's taste (I am almost sure I could read 40% won't like a pure Harman target without EQ because of these)..
It's not bad or good, it is just a question of personal preference.. that's all.

https://www.juloaudio.sk/Umiestnenie_reprosustav/History of Harman Target Curve.pdf

1661093852954.png

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #4,770 of 5,996
From what I read, Stealth's sensitivity is 83 dB/mW

Chord Mojo can output 750 mW of power. It is enough to play Stealth at 111 dB.

Unless you want to go deaf, this is more than enough loud.

That's completely wrong. All we know from that is that the Mojo has 750x the power that can drive the Stealth to at least 83 dB at 1 kHz. Power requirements go up exponentially for increasing SPL. Should be more than enough though. I believe Dan Clark recommended an amplifier that can provide at least 400 mW.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back