Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 21, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #4,771 of 6,037
That's completely wrong. All we know from that is that the Mojo has 750x the power that can drive the Stealth to at least 83 dB at 1 kHz. Power requirements go up exponentially for increasing SPL. Should be more than enough though. I believe Dan Clark recommended an amplifier that can provide at least 400 mW.
Yes, I already calculated that. For 10 db more SPL, you need 10x power.

So 1 mW drives Stealth up to 83 dB by definition
10 mW drives it up to 93 dB
100 mW drives it up to 103 dB
1000 mW drives it up to 113 dB

Mojo can output 750 mW, which can drive Stealth up to approximately 111 dB
It is weird that you called my math "completely wrong" without any context.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #4,772 of 6,037
I heard an opinion that double-sided planar magnetic drivers are likely to have less distortion because they are controlled better than single-ended drivers. The Stealth has single-ended drivers. According to the specs, it has less than 0.03% THD. On the other hand, the Audeze LCD-4 has double-sided drivers. But according to the specs, the THD is less than 0.1%. Any opinions on this matter? I am not an expert in this field and I wonder what kind of sourcery this is.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #4,773 of 6,037
Yes, I already calculated that. For 10 db more SPL, you need 10x power.

So 1 mW drives Stealth up to 83 dB by definition
10 mW drives it up to 93 dB
100 mW drives it up to 103 dB
1000 mW drives it up to 113 dB

Mojo can output 750 mW, which can drive Stealth up to approximately 111 dB
It is weird that you called my math "completely wrong" without any context.
Sorry, yes that is correct. I worded that badly. I meant that we cannot know the loudness due to many factors unique to headphones but that's a long discussion for the "audio science" forum.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #4,774 of 6,037
I tried Aeon Flow Closed and Aeon 2 Closed 2 years ago. They sounded absolutely horrible, much worse than even my bluetooth headphones. Their sound was insanely bad.

Now we have the $4000 Stealth. Is this a big improvement ?
Just out of curiosity, what headphones do you like?

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:45 PM Post #4,775 of 6,037
It depends if you are concerned with a Harman Target frequency response curve...
It seems such target concerns more or less 60% of the listeners. So like 40%, you may not like the Stealth too.
On my side, basically I think The DCA Stealth is a "pure" Harman reference, so I have to EQ a bit for lowering low frequencies to avoid a bit too muddy low/ultra low frequencies for my taste... I prefer deep clear and fast impacts (the HEDDphone One is the king for such target).
Some other here are finding that there are not enough low frequencies for their taste..
Just to clear a few things up, the foundation of the Harman curve is not preference based. They had a pair of speakers that measured flat from 20hz to 20khz in an anechoic chamber. They then put those same speakers in a well treated room and had a listen. After that, they eq'd headphones until they sounded like the speakers. That is the foundation of the curve. After the initial equalization that matched the sound of the headphones to the sound of the speakers they adjusted the low bass and upper treble according to preference feedback. I think people get a little confused and believe that the Harman curve is entirely preference based. This is not the case. It is speaker based and the low bass and upper treble have been slightly adjusted to taste. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just making sure that people don't think that the entire curve is just a preference thing.

Aug 21, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #4,776 of 6,037
I heard an opinion that double-sided planar magnetic drivers are likely to have less distortion because they are controlled better than single-ended drivers. The Stealth has single-ended drivers. According to the specs, it has less than 0.03% THD. On the other hand, the Audeze LCD-4 has double-sided drivers. But according to the specs, the THD is less than 0.1%. Any opinions on this matter? I am not an expert in this field and I wonder what kind of sourcery this is.
This is nonsense, there are great double-sided and single-sided planars and I have not seen any definitive evidence that proves that one is superior to the other. I'm not sure who told you that. Also, the LCD-5 has single sided drivers so even Audeze likes to experiment with both methods.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #4,777 of 6,037
This is nonsense, there are great double-sided and single-sided planars and I have not seen any definitive evidence that proves that one is superior to the other. I'm not sure who told you that. Also, the LCD-5 has single sided drivers so even Audeze likes to experiment with both methods.
From what I understand, double-sided drivers are usually heavier and more difficult to drive. But they seem to be cheaper. Are they older technology? Do they have any advantages?

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #4,778 of 6,037
From what I read, Stealth's sensitivity is 83 dB/mW

Chord Mojo can output 750 mW of power. It is enough to play Stealth at 111 dB.

Unless you want to go deaf, this is more than enough loud.
why do we keep having these discussions regarding volume...plenty of amps can drive inefficient HP's to loud enough volumes but sound lousy...the only important thing is if an amp can make a HP sound good...as one who owned the stealth and owns the mojo 2 I can say yes the mojo can get the stealth loud but it wont sound particularly good

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #4,779 of 6,037
From what I understand, double-sided drivers are usually heavier and more difficult to drive. But they seem to be cheaper. Are they older technology? Do they have any advantages?
Single sided simply means that there is a single array of magnets that handles both push and pull. Double sided means that there is a set of magnet structures that handles either push or pull. There are no magical differences beyond that. Whichever magnet stucture best suits the diaphragm being used is the correct answer.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #4,780 of 6,037
Single sided magnet structures are physically lighter though which is a plus for wearability. In theory, single sided drivers should also be more power hungry. Which I guess is a negative.

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #4,781 of 6,037
Single sided magnet structures are physically lighter though which is a plus for wearability. In theory, single sided drivers should also be more power hungry. Which I guess is a negative.
Oh, so I mistakenly thought it was the opposite. But I guess it makes sense to require more power to move the diaphragm with a single set of magnets.

Aug 22, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #4,782 of 6,037
Just to clear a few things up, the foundation of the Harman curve is not preference based. They had a pair of speakers that measured flat from 20hz to 20khz in an anechoic chamber. They then put those same speakers in a well treated room and had a listen. After that, they eq'd headphones until they sounded like the speakers. That is the foundation of the curve. After the initial equalization that matched the sound of the headphones to the sound of the speakers they adjusted the low bass and upper treble according to preference feedback. I think people get a little confused and believe that the Harman curve is entirely preference based. This is not the case. It is speaker based and the low bass and upper treble have been slightly adjusted to taste. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just making sure that people don't think that the entire curve is just a preference thing.
But still there's some preference based analysis. I am too lazy to search for it right now but there's some direct information from Sean Olive on some Harman papers, interviews etc. and as far as I remember 60% preferred the HT as it is. The remaining mostly preferred a tweaked bass (some more, some less, depending on the age etc).

Aug 22, 2022 at 7:55 PM Post #4,783 of 6,037
I own and use both .. I would say impacts in the throat of the HEDD is like an absolute reference for me... the Stealth without EQ in lows is like a bit "muddy" compared to the Hedd.
So much ymmv with impressions of headphones! I have an ACX - certainly not superior performance to Stealth - and I find the planar bass ( as well as the rest of the FR ) tight and precise.

Aug 23, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #4,784 of 6,037
Finally got my setup dialed in just the way I want it.

IMG_20220823_001527333_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220823_001557570_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #4,785 of 6,037
Finally got my setup dialed in just the way I want it. IMG_20220823_001527333_HDR.jpgIMG_20220823_001557570_HDR.jpg

One helluva hungry beast if you have to have Ragnarok at 2PM on high gain with 4V DAC input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back