Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Aug 23, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #4,786 of 6,001
One helluva hungry beast if you have to have Ragnarok at 2PM on high gain with 4V DAC input
Yes, they're quite inefficient but there's no headphone that the Ragnarok can't handle when it gets serious.

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #4,787 of 6,001
Just to clear a few things up, the foundation of the Harman curve is not preference based. They had a pair of speakers that measured flat from 20hz to 20khz in an anechoic chamber. They then put those same speakers in a well treated room and had a listen. After that, they eq'd headphones until they sounded like the speakers. That is the foundation of the curve. After the initial equalization that matched the sound of the headphones to the sound of the speakers they adjusted the low bass and upper treble according to preference feedback. I think people get a little confused and believe that the Harman curve is entirely preference based. This is not the case. It is speaker based and the low bass and upper treble have been slightly adjusted to taste. I'm not saying that you're wrong, I'm just making sure that people don't think that the entire curve is just a preference thing.

But it is, as I have already put this link, it's clearly indicated in the Harman presentation .. the Harman Target Response is based on a preferred "in-room" response of an accurate speaker (which room ? and why this room and not another one ?)
They clearly say => This prefererred headphone target doesn't suit all listener's taste (I have read something like 40%) for various factors as indicated here below.

https://www.juloaudio.sk/Umiestnenie_reprosustav/History of Harman Target Curve.pdf

1661093852954.png

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #4,788 of 6,001
Dan wasn't exactly convinced with Harman tuning due to past experience but ended up following it closely. The other 40% is just outlier with preference for either more bass or less bass..that's it > 😉😉😉😉 Screenshot_20220823-164006.jpgScreenshot_20220823-164011.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-164016.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-164324.jpg

Source:

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:21 AM Post #4,789 of 6,001
Dan wasn't exactly convinced with Harman tuning due to past experience but ended up following it closely. The other 40% is just outlier with preference for either more bass or less bass..that's it > 😉😉😉😉Screenshot_20220823-164006.jpgScreenshot_20220823-164011.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-164016.jpg

Screenshot_20220823-164324.jpg

Source:

Also here and here:

“Harman curve Lovers”: This group, which constitutes 64% of listeners, includes mostly a broad spectrum of people, although they’re generally under age 50. They prefer headphones tuned close to the Harman curve.

“More Bass Is Better”: This next group, which makes up 15% of listeners, prefers headphones with 3 to 6dB more bass than Harman curve below 300Hz, and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is predominantly male and younger -- the listeners JBL is targeting with its headphones.

“Less Bass Is Better”: This group, 21% of listeners, prefers 2 to 3dB less bass than the Harman curve and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is disproportionately female and older than 50.

Aug 23, 2022 at 5:48 AM Post #4,790 of 6,001
Also here and here:

“Harman curve Lovers”: This group, which constitutes 64% of listeners, includes mostly a broad spectrum of people, although they’re generally under age 50. They prefer headphones tuned close to the Harman curve.

“More Bass Is Better”: This next group, which makes up 15% of listeners, prefers headphones with 3 to 6dB more bass than Harman curve below 300Hz, and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is predominantly male and younger -- the listeners JBL is targeting with its headphones.

“Less Bass Is Better”: This group, 21% of listeners, prefers 2 to 3dB less bass than the Harman curve and 1dB more output above 1kHz. This group is disproportionately female and older than 50.

So I am in a fourth group :L3000: quite near the 3rd group with a bit less bass (- 2 to 3 db) without needing to really increase above 1kHz (for me Harman Curve is quite nice to my ears from 1Khz to 15khz, as over this limit I don't catch anything).

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #4,792 of 6,001
Finally got my setup dialed in just the way I want it.

I run the same setup. High gain as well. Depending on the recording same volume position as well. I don’t believe the volume control on the Ragnarok is linear. So 2 o’clock doesn’t mean 60% volume.
For me , without gain offset and EQ, most modern recordings are around 12 o’clock and 24/96 are a little higher.

Aug 23, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #4,793 of 6,001
Finally got my setup dialed in just the way I want it.
What other amplifiers have you compared to the rag2 with the stealths? I like Schiit as a company and i like the Triple H hifi appeal of the ragnarok as well as the price…

The Other amps I’m considering are all much more expensive ie, HSA-1B, Oor/Hypsos, CFA3. I don’t want to feel like I’m leaving anything on the table performance wise, but at the same time the same time the stealths are, for the time being at least, secondary to the SR-1As for me. But the rag2 might provide all of the power and fun I need. Hmmmmmm…

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #4,794 of 6,001
What other amplifiers have you compared to the rag2 with the stealths? I like Schiit as a company and i like the Triple H hifi appeal of the ragnarok as well as the price…

The Other amps I’m considering are all much more expensive ie, HSA-1B, Oor/Hypsos, CFA3. I don’t want to feel like I’m leaving anything on the table performance wise, but at the same time the same time the stealths are, for the time being at least, secondary to the SR-1As for me. But the rag2 might provide all of the power and fun I need. Hmmmmmm…
I heard them on an Ifi Pro Ican. The combo was very smooth in a hifi sort of way but I felt that it didn't really have the aggressive slam that I crave. It's sort of a polite sounding amp. The Ragnarok is more neutral and has much more impact. I've also heard them on a OOR/Hypsos combo briefly. It's a good amp for sure but I don't think it's worth 2X the cost of the Rag. The OOR/Hypsos is also a bit colored. Of the 3 I think the Rag is the most neutral and drives them with the most authority. I have an Ifi Micro Black Label here and it's fine at quiet volumes with a nice tonality but doesn't really get them to dance.

Aug 23, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #4,795 of 6,001

if you have the patience get the CFA3

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #4,797 of 6,001
I will say that the Ragnarok has a bit of noise when you turn the volume up too high though. I didn't get that with the other amps. That would be playing extremely loud though.
If you can hear it on the Stealth it must be really bad with higher sensitivity headphones.

Aug 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #4,800 of 6,001

This entire album sounds fantastic with the Stealths but I like this song in particular. It's very well mastered.
It shows off the clarity and balance of the Stealths.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back