Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Apr 27, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #3,782 of 5,994
After running these out of my RME ADI-2 DAC for quite a long while, I decided to try running them out of the Drop THX 789. Not sure why didn't notice it the last time I tried it, but I feel as though I hear an improvement. And this is using RCAs out of the DAC into the amp.

After that, I finally took the plunge and ordered XLR interconnects and a DCA VIVO cable terminated with a 4 pin XLR. Probably should've ordered my Stealth with that instead of the 1/4 inch single ended and used that with an adapter. 🤷‍♂️

For the interconnects, I didn't want to get something really expensive without knowing whether or not balanced sounded better to me. So I ordered what looks to be a decent pair at a much more tolerable price for this "experiment":

2 Units - 1.5 Foot – Quad Balanced Microphone Cable Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES – Using Canare L-4E6S Wire and Neutrik Silver NC3MXX Male & NC3FXX Female XLR Plugs

Both items should be here later today. Don't know what to expect but obviously curious.

Think I'm beginning to understand the difference between power and volume...

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #3,783 of 5,994
After running these out of my RME ADI-2 DAC for quite a long while, I decided to try running them out of the Drop THX 789. Not sure why didn't notice it the last time I tried it, but I feel as though I hear an improvement. And this is using RCAs out of the DAC into the amp.

After that, I finally took the plunge and ordered XLR interconnects and a DCA VIVO cable terminated with a 4 pin XLR. Probably should've ordered my Stealth with that instead of the 1/4 inch single ended and used that with an adapter. 🤷‍♂️

For the interconnects, I didn't want to get something really expensive without knowing whether or not balanced sounded better to me. So I ordered what looks to be a decent pair at a much more tolerable price for this "experiment":

2 Units - 1.5 Foot – Quad Balanced Microphone Cable Custom Made by WORLDS BEST CABLES – Using Canare L-4E6S Wire and Neutrik Silver NC3MXX Male & NC3FXX Female XLR Plugs

Both items should be here later today. Don't know what to expect but obviously curious.

Think I'm beginning to understand the difference between power and volume...
What improvement do you hear? I could not discern a difference between different amps with these headphones. That said if you felt something lacking when moving to another headphone you could easily adjust it with the RME as you have total control with the eq controls.

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #3,784 of 5,994
What improvement do you hear? I could not discern a difference between different amps with these headphones. That said if you felt something lacking when moving to another headphone you could easily adjust it with the RME as you have total control with the eq controls.

Bare with me as I'm not as versed as a good deal of you in regards to articulating this stuff. I'll give it my best. . .

You're right. I could shift the sound around via the parametric EQ of which I'm a total novice. That said, I never really intended to do so with these cans since they're tuned so well. Now the improvements I hear aren't so much tonal in nature. The RME sounds exceptional to me. But I've read a lot from other, more experienced listeners about how demanding the Stealth is in regards to power. My simple confirmation of this was having to switch the RME into high-power mode. . .something I never have had to do with either my Empyrean or Elite. But that shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone given their relative efficiency. But still, I thought why not try running it to the 789? Let the DAC focus on being a DAC and the amp an amp. Admittedly, I don't recall the specs in regards to the amp portions of both. I remember 'Passion for Sound' stating that the RME had a comparable amp section to the 789. Maybe that's one reason I hesitated trying this configuration 'till now. I'll look at the power specs again sometime this week. I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm still learning the various facets of what's listed.

What improvements did I actually hear? Better dynamics - a little more weight to the parts that slam. Inherently, that includes better bass presence. It also sounds more controlled to me. Leading and trailing edges. Also, better decay. Even a smidge more separation between the notes. It sounds to me that all of this contributes to a bit more detail.

Now I do admit, I haven't done anything like volume matching to present quantifiable evidence to support the above. Could some of this be placebo? Maybe. I just know that my ears like what they're hearing. I really do have to compare the power specs between the amp sections. If someone can explain how power relates to volume. . .more specifically having more headroom or cleaner (?) power benefits more demanding headphones such as the Stealth, I'd be obliged.

I know that many consider these components as dry or analytical. Most of the coloration I've done to my sound is via the chosen headphones for a given listening session, the Empyrean being the most colored. I do eventually plan on using more of the features in the RME. But based on what I've read, it seems most users apply EQ to hit the harmon target for their given set of cans. This isn't really a consideration for me with the Stealth as it's considered one of the best at hitting the target out of the box. I think the real fun is squeezing more performance out of more affordable cans. It could also be leveraged for room correction in the future if I ever decide to use it as preamp in a speaker system. I don't know. . .I'm a sucker for good value. Impressed with what I've explored in the menus thus far. Maybe one day I'll get a Chord TT2. I'd have to hear one first. But I do appreciate exploring with neutral components to evaluate phones without having to worry about other lines of demarcation coloring the sound. It's a journey. . .

Apr 28, 2022 at 7:45 AM Post #3,785 of 5,994
Bare with me as I'm not as versed as a good deal of you in regards to articulating this stuff. I'll give it my best. . .

You're right. I could shift the sound around via the parametric EQ of which I'm a total novice. That said, I never really intended to do so with these cans since they're tuned so well. Now the improvements I hear aren't so much tonal in nature. The RME sounds exceptional to me. But I've read a lot from other, more experienced listeners about how demanding the Stealth is in regards to power. My simple confirmation of this was having to switch the RME into high-power mode. . .something I never have had to do with either my Empyrean or Elite. But that shouldn't really be a surprise to anyone given their relative efficiency. But still, I thought why not try running it to the 789? Let the DAC focus on being a DAC and the amp an amp. Admittedly, I don't recall the specs in regards to the amp portions of both. I remember 'Passion for Sound' stating that the RME had a comparable amp section to the 789. Maybe that's one reason I hesitated trying this configuration 'till now. I'll look at the power specs again sometime this week. I'm not an electrical engineer so I'm still learning the various facets of what's listed.

What improvements did I actually hear? Better dynamics - a little more weight to the parts that slam. Inherently, that includes better bass presence. It also sounds more controlled to me. Leading and trailing edges. Also, better decay. Even a smidge more separation between the notes. It sounds to me that all of this contributes to a bit more detail.

Now I do admit, I haven't done anything like volume matching to present quantifiable evidence to support the above. Could some of this be placebo? Maybe. I just know that my ears like what they're hearing. I really do have to compare the power specs between the amp sections. If someone can explain how power relates to volume. . .more specifically having more headroom or cleaner (?) power benefits more demanding headphones such as the Stealth, I'd be obliged.

I know that many consider these components as dry or analytical. Most of the coloration I've done to my sound is via the chosen headphones for a given listening session, the Empyrean being the most colored. I do eventually plan on using more of the features in the RME. But based on what I've read, it seems most users apply EQ to hit the harmon target for their given set of cans. This isn't really a consideration for me with the Stealth as it's considered one of the best at hitting the target out of the box. I think the real fun is squeezing more performance out of more affordable cans. It could also be leveraged for room correction in the future if I ever decide to use it as preamp in a speaker system. I don't know. . .I'm a sucker for good value. Impressed with what I've explored in the menus thus far. Maybe one day I'll get a Chord TT2. I'd have to hear one first. But I do appreciate exploring with neutral components to evaluate phones without having to worry about other lines of demarcation coloring the sound. It's a journey. . .
If you bump the bass area you will get better perceived dynamics. More weight will be added.

Apr 28, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #3,787 of 5,994
Is that typically preferred over no equalization and straight 'wire with no gain'? Seriously curious.
I caved recently and added a 4db at 125hz and below. It sounds so freaking good. Why did I wait so long to try EQ?

Apr 29, 2022 at 5:43 AM Post #3,789 of 5,994
Is that typically preferred over no equalization and straight 'wire with no gain'? Seriously curious.
For headphones the research found that the bass region preference is a bit variable based on factors like age and sex. Playing around with EQ in that region can definitely result in better perceived sound quality.

I think the Stealth is pretty much spot on with what it does based on our current understanding of sound reproduction with headphones. That doesn't mean it will hit 100% for everyone though. Whether the time invested into getting familiar with EQ is worth it to tickle out some last % points is probably a very individual choice.

Apr 29, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #3,790 of 5,994
From Rob Watts, designer of Chord DACs -

So over the past couple of months I have been extremely impressed with the DCA Stealth. Upon first listening I thought that they were a touch bass light, but extremely pure sounding in the treble - a sense of lack of distortion, and purity due to lack of HF resonances. Depth and imagery were a lot better too. The bass is leaner than the Aeon 2, but actually is very well extended.

Doing the first recording session I was pleasantly surprised at how linear and accurate in frequency response terms they were when comparing live to reproduced.

So since you have asked, I just did a quick AB test, volume matched (you need to increase Stealth's volume by +7 dB). The Aeon 2 did not come out well - by comparison Aeon 2 sounded flat (in soundstage depth) with a muddled and softer bass. Instrument separation and focus is very much better on the Stealth too.

Another virtue of Stealth is timbre variation - being able to perceive very bright sounds simultaneously with rich warm instruments is exceptional.

So Stealth does indeed sound like the engineering that went into it - lower distortion and reduction in resonances has given big subjective dividends.

May 2, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #3,792 of 5,994
Heard this over the weekend at the DC meet, it definitely is an acquire taste...I had a good 15-20 min (with @ekobi ) between my verite closed (running recommended suede universe pad) and DCA stealth, honestly...I love the clarity of DCA stealth but the bass does lack and thats coming from someone who hated heavy bass. I did run the red filter on my hugo 2, I rarely run that filter unless its my Beyerdynamic T1 V1.

all that being said, I do like the headphone, so glad Dan going back to the Ether C and Alpha Prime signature...I was so disappointed with the Ether 2, even comfort is miles better than the Ether 2.

its a hard pick between the two for me

May 3, 2022 at 10:31 PM Post #3,794 of 5,994
Heard this over the weekend at the DC meet, it definitely is an acquire taste...I had a good 15-20 min (with @ekobi ) between my verite closed (running recommended suede universe pad) and DCA stealth, honestly...I love the clarity of DCA stealth but the bass does lack and thats coming from someone who hated heavy bass. I did run the red filter on my hugo 2, I rarely run that filter unless its my Beyerdynamic T1 V1.

all that being said, I do like the headphone, so glad Dan going back to the Ether C and Alpha Prime signature...I was so disappointed with the Ether 2, even comfort is miles better than the Ether 2.

its a hard pick between the two for me

EQ the Stealth to boost the bass regions - it can take it without bleeding into the higher frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back