Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
May 3, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #3,799 of 5,996
what? care to explain?

Stealth is lower distortion and is also tuned to Harman, which already has that extra bass and mid bass response. So there should be no lack of bass but if people are used to the bass peaks of other HP, then Stealth will sound lacking. Punch is fun but a poor way to judge bass quality in a HP, which most 'reviewers' make the mistake of. Stealth also makes chain optimization more important because with all that has been said and you still feel the bass is lacking, then it's the Stealth revealing the poor noise floor of the rest of the chain.

May 4, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #3,800 of 5,996
Stealth is lower distortion and is also tuned to Harman, which already has that extra bass and mid bass response. So there should be no lack of bass but if people are used to the bass peaks of other HP, then Stealth will sound lacking. Punch is fun but a poor way to judge bass quality in a HP, which most 'reviewers' make the mistake of. Stealth also makes chain optimization more important because with all that has been said and you still feel the bass is lacking, then it's the Stealth revealing the poor noise floor of the rest of the chain.
I feel you're missing the point, you just mentioned in your post the FUN word.
That's what we want right? Enjoy the music an have a bit of fun along the way.

Most users on the forum are not looking to use the headphones as a studio mastering tool, which I do agree with you would be better suited to your use case.

May 4, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #3,801 of 5,996
I feel you're missing the point, you just mentioned in your post the FUN word.
That's what we want right? Enjoy the music an have a bit of fun along the way.

Most users on the forum are not looking to use the headphones as a studio mastering tool, which I do agree with you would be better suited to your use case.
Bass peaks aren't fun. But ppl call it fun coz they lack experience.

May 4, 2022 at 1:41 AM Post #3,802 of 5,996
The lack of bass is not due to the Stealth, but rather, due to the higher noise floor and distortion by the rest of the chain.
As much as some of your ideas seem to be crazy, I still agree on a lot of your thoughts.
And this "lack" of bass with Stealth is one when I agree with you. I don't know if it's because of noise floor, but it definitely has something with quality of dac/amp.

TT2 with stealth has this mid bass characteristics and on some songs I would say that bass is lacking.
When I use Dave... it changes A LOT. Bass goes soo much deeper and it's fuller better defined it's almost like completely different headphone.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 1:46 AM Post #3,803 of 5,996
As much as some of your ideas seem to be crazy, I still agree on a lot of your thoughts.
And this "lack" of bass with Stealth is one when I agree with you. I don't know if it's because of noise floor, but it definitely has something with quality of dac/amp.

TT2 with stealth has this mid bass characteristics and on somesongs I would say that bass is lacking.
When I use Dave... it changes A LOT. Bas goes soo much deeper and it's fuller better defined it's almost like completely different headphone.

Stealth definitely rewards a higher quality chain. I think if more people treated the Stealth like a Susvara in terms of feeding it good quality gear and power, they'd realize it's not lacking in the dynamics department.

May 4, 2022 at 2:35 AM Post #3,804 of 5,996

TT2 with stealth has this mid bass characteristics and on some songs I would say that bass is lacking.
When I use Dave... it changes A LOT. Bass goes soo much deeper and it's fuller better defined it's almost like completely different headphone.
Most other headphones, including TOTL ones have a lot of "lost in translation" information in the bass. Same amount of boom boom for everything and that is the bass. It is like Stealth has a larger vocabulary to convey the bass. It is clearer.

May 4, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #3,805 of 5,996
I don't know if it's because of noise floor, but it definitely has something with quality of dac/amp.

Tt2, if you are using the stock smps, has too much thicc mid bass that it masks the high bass and lessens the ability to enjoy and perceive the bass extension. This is exactly what and why you are hearing the extension on the Dave. I think it's partially less masking issues on the Dave since tt2 still has a slightly better psu, but it so happens the Dave releases better on mid bass and down. But if not chained properly, the quirk of the Dave is the excess on upper mids, which can make the Stealth seemingly lack bass quantity whilst having more bass extension and deepness.

I think if more people treated the Stealth like a Susvara in terms of feeding it good quality gear and power, they'd realize it's not lacking in the dynamics department.
The Susvara has low distortion and weaker bass response so the adjustment people do is tap it to speaker amps that give it more punch, thus killing the bass extension it supposed to have. Then they make some claim that it's more Harman than Harman. Lolz.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #3,808 of 5,996
But if not chained properly, the quirk of the Dave is the excess on upper mids, which can make the Stealth seemingly lack bass quantity whilst having more bass extension and deepness
So I guess I have it properly setup with Dave. As bass with Stealth + Dave is phenomenal. Not muddy mid bass blob, but tight fast controlled. And when music asks it can be fluffy phat and extremely extended but at the same time very delicate. Never experienced anything like that with TT2.
I have farad powering m scaler, I could try it with TT2 but to be honest I lost desire to keep TT2, and it's going to be sold.

ps. Also I strongly believe that what is happening with midbass on many headphones and dacs/amps is what many people confuses with sound (headphones/dac/amps) being dynamic.

Last edited:
May 4, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #3,809 of 5,996
And when music asks it can be fluffy phat and extremely extended but at the same time very delicate
Yes. My chain has been genre agnostic for awhile where they all don't sound the same..delicate is delicate, bombastic is bombastic. As long as you don't find the energy of the upper mids and up on the Dave too much to create imbalance in the presentation, you are in a good place...but there's always room for improvement ofc which can open a new can of imbalanced worms.

May 4, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #3,810 of 5,996
ps. Also I strongly believe that what is happening with midbass on many headphones and dacs/amps is what many people confuses with sound (headphones/dac/amps) being dynamic.

This is correct. Too many reviewers talk about bass punch when they really mean bass peaks. And 'more dynamic' when they really means bass peaks coupled with treble peaks. Then they try a low distortion, very extended (true dynamics) DCA Stealth and calls it weak sauce... 😆🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back