Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,336 of 5,996
Thanks for talking me off the ledge so to speak.

With headphones now costing what a decent pair of speakers cost, expectations are higher. But at the end of the day, I want explore my library with a fresh pair of cans that reveal nuances never noticed before.

My chain is relatively moderate but still more advanced than most people I know. RME ADI-2 DAC fs and a THX 789. Might eventually approach higher-end SS equipment. Who knows, maybe even tubes at some point. Seems hearing might be the most subjective sense.

I was intrigued by the tech and thoughtfulness behind this particular model. Curious if the sound approaches that of OBs.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #1,337 of 5,996
Thanks for talking me off the ledge so to speak.

With headphones now costing what a decent pair of speakers cost, expectations are higher. But at the end of the day, I want explore my library with a fresh pair of cans that reveal nuances never noticed before.

My chain is relatively moderate but still more advanced than most people I know. RME ADI-2 DAC fs and a THX 789. Might eventually approach higher-end SS equipment. Who knows, maybe even tubes at some point. Seems hearing might be the most subjective sense.

I was intrigued by the tech and thoughtfulness behind this particular model. Curious if the sound approaches that of OBs.
Not sure there IS higher end SS equipment than that for headphones.

Sep 13, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #1,338 of 5,996
seriously?...

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #1,342 of 5,996
Yes. Check with pretty much anywhere on the Internet that isn't Head-Fi.
so there is no better SS amo than the 789?...come on now

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #1,343 of 5,996
so there is no better SS amo than the 789?...come on now
I 100% agree with you, but it is the best measuring SS amp, supposedly. I don’t care about measurements personally (I prefer my own ears), but others do care, and base their opinions on that 🤷‍♂️

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #1,344 of 5,996
7 for sound, 8 for features, 9 for value. That's about it. Name is very fitting

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #1,345 of 5,996
I 100% agree with you, but it is the best measuring SS amp, supposedly. I don’t care about measurements personally (I prefer my own ears), but others do care, and base their opinions on that 🤷‍♂️
I wish I could pick my restaurants based on "reviews" by someone who incinerates the food and reports the chemical composition using a $28K gadget. Instead I have to rely on people who describe their impression after the food came into contact with their taste buds (yuck!). I bet they weren't even blindfolded!

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #1,346 of 5,996
If there are any other melon-heads who find the elastic comfort strap annoying, I found a simple solution.

IMG_0114.jpeg

Sep 13, 2021 at 10:39 PM Post #1,348 of 5,996
I wish I could pick my restaurants based on "reviews" by someone who incinerates the food and reports the chemical composition using a $28K gadget. Instead I have to rely on people who describe their impression after the food came into contact with their taste buds (yuck!). I bet they weren't even blindfolded!
You shouldn’t use your taste buds to determine how the food tastes because of inherent personal bias :deadhorse:

You don’t even need to taste the food to know how good and high quality it is. Just look at basic chemistry :deadhorse:

You only like the food because it was expensive and you’re convincing yourself it’s good because you paid for it :deadhorse:

I wish these were just jokes, but various posters have said pretty much exactly that to me when I evaluate various audio components based on my own personal experience :face_palm:

Sep 14, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #1,350 of 5,996
I had the 788, and the 789, went to XI audio Broadway. Definitely better than 789, and measures better too!

Listening session tonight: Chain---Out and About with portable setup, iPhone-Dragonfly Cobalt-Stealth.

Amazon HD source Jazz at the Pawnshop remastered 2013

Although the chain requires top 2-3 notches to get everything out of it.... Really impressed with the experience in a mobile way!

Excellent separation, super fun to image the whole live perfomance all around you, the Tonality of all the instruments seems to me very natural, and nothing overly synthetic or digitized out of its range. Great wide SS for closed cans, very nice impact, that to me is just right for Jazz.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back