Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 13, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #1,321 of 6,002
So much writing about cost of product......... I believe all those comments/rants should have a dedicated thread to themselves. The writers must believe "if we offer up a fair argument the manufacturer/builder will surely side with us and drop the price 50%!" If one wants to "be" in rare air it is always more expensive with either a real or imagined benefit. A Casio Ironman still tells time the same as a Richard Mille RM 50-03. $50 vs $1M. A Pinarello F frame is just under $8K. I hear the argument all the time: "You could buy five bikes for what that costs!!" We are just LUCKY that we have this many options for wonderful gear.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,322 of 6,002
I've got about 10 hours on the Stealth's. Keep getting better to my ears. I've got Live Grateful Dead playing non-stop which would take days to make its way through.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #1,323 of 6,002
1:00 - Jude just said the technologies are "very innovative". That doesn't mean anything to me.
12:00 - Dan said the machinery they developed only does tensioning. That doesn't mean they developed the film, just a machine that will tension it when they install it into the driver frame. Something that stretches material isn't a huge technological feat.

If I remember correctly from when I initially watched it, it helps guarantee consistency across units.

There I have been times in the past where I've read different impressions amongst different listeners for a given pair of phones that would suggest a variance between them due to slight differences in the builds. I'd imagine this would lessen that gap.

Sep 13, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,324 of 6,002
If I remember correctly from when I initially watched it, it helps guarantee consistency across units.

There I have been times in the past where I've read different impressions amongst different listeners for a given pair of phones that would suggest a variance between them due to slight differences in the builds. I'd imagine this would lessen that gap.
I think they discuss two different processes here, one of which is the new tight tolerance in house attachment machine, and the other is a driver matching, and in the case of Stealth, fully assembled ear cup matching process to deliver the closest possible pairing for QC.

Sep 13, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #1,325 of 6,002
Saving the Stealth: I still find the comfort in that top 1% ultimately just behind the Empyrean. I read someone mentioning tension thoroughly with the headband which they did not love, I agree. As the cups sit too loosely, all the weight is distributed off the headband. This causes zero discomfort for me, however, impedes the Stealth from ever completely disappearing on my head.

Tonality is very acceptable, particularly female voice especially when well recorded breathe naturally (Lana Del Ray **** it, I love you is a great example) conversely I do wish there was more bite, more sparkle. Sigh.

I still can't stand how dynamically limp this headphone presents > metal, rock, do not pass go. Electronic can force some bass extension/punch (Lorn - Ghosst, fair example) but the overall soft, soft, soft, mush is maddening.

Staging and imaging remains a mixed bag: Anna von Hausswolff - Epitaph of Theodor retains a softness through the organ extension, the church hall illuminates in a distinct corridor lacking reverb, breathe, air while Between the Buried and Me shows in Sun of Nothing pattered bass, slam, punch, crunch, bite, retaining fairly excellent cohesion > funky riffs and hard transitions keep clear and competent as you follow along the complexities.

I like vocals a fair bit and dislike everything else a fair bit more.

I also like the efficient active leakage isolation these provide as for many that factorization may be very meaningful.

If these were priced at $2299 they'd be intriguing - at $4k they're the biggest loser.

Shrugs.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,326 of 6,002
Saving the Stealth: I still find the comfort in that top 1% ultimately just behind the Empyrean. I read someone mentioning tension thoroughly with the headband which they did not love, I agree. As the cups sit too loosely, all the weight is distributed off the headband. This causes zero discomfort for me, however, impedes the Stealth from ever completely disappearing on my head.

Tonality is very acceptable, particularly female voice especially when well recorded breathe naturally (Lana Del Ray **** it, I love you is a great example) conversely I do wish there was more bite, more sparkle. Sigh.

I still can't stand how dynamically limp this headphone presents > metal, rock, do not pass go. Electronic can force some bass extension/punch (Lorn - Ghosst, fair example) but the overall soft, soft, soft, mush is maddening.

Staging and imaging remains a mixed bag: Anna von Hausswolff - Epitaph of Theodor retains a softness through the organ extension, the church hall illuminates in a distinct corridor lacking reverb, breathe, air while Between the Buried and Me shows in Sun of Nothing pattered bass, slam, punch, crunch, bite, retaining fairly excellent cohesion > funky riffs and hard transitions keep clear and competent as you follow along the complexities.

I like vocals a fair bit and dislike everything else a fair bit more.

I also like the efficient active leakage isolation these provide as for many that factorization may be very meaningful.

If these were priced at $2299 they'd be intriguing - at $4k they're the biggest loser.

Shrugs.
Adding a little bit of EQ changes a lot of things for Stealth. I like it more for some genres after a little tweak: Slight 2dB shelf for subbass, -2.5dB for bass mids transition, 2 dB shelf for >10 kHz, then it is a lot of fun also for other genres. Because the base tuning is really good, without any dips or peaks, tuning to music is easy. I have been listening especially to my favorite salsa musician, and for sure Stealth can dig more details than Rögnir.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #1,328 of 6,002
Have to admit, I haven't even received mine yet but my excitement is beginning to diminish based on the lukewarm impressions.
Only your pair of ears matter.

Sep 13, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #1,329 of 6,002
Have to admit, I haven't even received mine yet but my excitement is beginning to diminish based on the lukewarm impressions.
Don't worry, this is HeadFi. The next launch will help you with your excitement, and you will hopefully receive your toy before your excitement fades, and you will sell it or send it back when the big boys write their impressions.

Punch and slam is just around the corner.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #1,330 of 6,002
Some listening notes from tonight..

Listening mostly classical music via Apple music (lossless) on M8 turbo gain.

Beethoven Piano Concerto No.5 by M. Pollini. The overall reproduction is grande and sufficiently dynamic. Piano scales well and shows great strength in pin point localization within soundscape. For example, the sound of piano is produced evenly and projected at the dead center of the orchestra and does not deviate into 11 or 1 o’clock voids. The leading edge attacks are snappy and every notes decay naturally giving the sense of realism with a good instrumental separation.

Chamber music has a feeling of intimacy within the recorded venue, and it feels like you're sitting closer to the stage. Still, soundstage has a proper depth and positional accuracy, and the image does not blur. Layering is excellent. Every instruments portrayed vividly and rendered with accurate timbre.

The woodwinds sounds especially clean and clear. Tutti's rich voluminous feel is exceptional, with little intrusiveness.

Very much enjoying the Stealth with classical music.

Thanks for this feedback, as there are not as many comments on classical playback, and bolsters my interest in Stealth in the face of other comments.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,331 of 6,002
Only your pair of ears matter.

Indeed, also your gear/chain might be different than the guys whom are posting their feedbacks.

In my case I had a lukewarm relationship with the Sony Z1R. They sounded average with my Chord stack and some other DAPs until I plugged them into my Cayin N6ii! The pairing was simply sublime to my ears; no odd mids, wide soundstage and deep textured low end.

Similarly, my Fostex TH909s were a nightmare to deal with until I plugged them to an Ifi Micro iDSD BL. Again, this pairing was golden, the highs were tamed and good times were had.

Sep 13, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,333 of 6,002
Yeah same, they seem better suited to classical than rock and mainstream stuff.
. They sounded average with my Chord stack and some other DAPs until I plugged them into my Cayin N6ii! The pairing was simply sublime to my ears; no odd mids, wide soundstage and deep textured low end.
I love them with my setup, i am curious how you find them compared to the Verite closed and the rest of your setup.
Indeed, also your gear/chain might be different than the guys whom are posting their feedbacks.
This makes a world of difference, but somehow people like to pass judgement on a headphone purely based on what electronics they use. I don't mean to be a snob but if you're using Spotify and electronics that cost half what the headphones do...I'm sure there's improvement to be had.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #1,334 of 6,002
There are other headphones that color the sound in a way that most things sound good, the Stealth are not like that I think your experience will vary greatly depending on what you like to listen to. Nothing I've listened with them has sounded bad, it's just that some things don't sound like what I would expect. Some tracks seem to have tons of low end and in the Stealth it's lacking, while other tracks that with other headphones seem to lack low end have surprised me with deep precise impactful low end.

I wouldn't recommend them to everyone, I'm pretty sure for specific music you'll have more enjoyable results with other headphones.

Sep 13, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #1,335 of 6,002
I don't mean to be a snob but if you're using Spotify and electronics that cost half what the headphones do...I'm sure there's improvement to be had.
*bangs head harder to Pilldriver's Pitch-Hiker from Spotify with an $800 amp with 2x $80 opamps and a $700 DAC*

Edit: Different, longer Qobuz version, unexpectedly

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back