Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 14, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,351 of 6,012
Amps only exist to make a signal louder and there is only one correct way to do so, so it is easily measurable. Have some common sense.

If you're using a poorly measuring $2000 amp (distortion generator) to "tune" your sound and call it "synergy" or pretend that makes the amp better than a cheaper, better measuring one, you're misleading everyone into wasting their money.

Most amps, DACs and cables will sound identical, but people think they hear all sorts of differences because they're not good at comparing sounds and let their overconfidence tell them otherwise.

Don't use food as an analogy. You know or at least should realize that the comparison makes no sense. The music analogy to the ridiculous thing you said would be trying to measure how good a album is based on the waveforms alone. That of course requires personal preference, something that has NO BEARING on if an electric signal is repeated or amplified correctly or not.

I swear this place only exists as a safe haven for nut jobs.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,353 of 6,012
Thanks for talking me off the ledge so to speak.

With headphones now costing what a decent pair of speakers cost, expectations are higher. But at the end of the day, I want explore my library with a fresh pair of cans that reveal nuances never noticed before.

My chain is relatively moderate but still more advanced than most people I know. RME ADI-2 DAC fs and a THX 789. Might eventually approach higher-end SS equipment. Who knows, maybe even tubes at some point. Seems hearing might be the most subjective sense.

I was intrigued by the tech and thoughtfulness behind this particular model. Curious if the sound approaches that of OBs.
I would take most of the talk here with a big spoon of salt. Here, 50+ year old people will tell you that they can hear differences in microSD cards. People that trashed their ears with clubbing or "constant punch and slam from headphones" will tell you differences between silver and copper silver hybrid cables. They will tell you that they can hear the differences between media player application version, even when the developer says it was a change or a fix that has nothing to do with it. When many times even the consecutive albums of the same group changes sound, due production, recording equipment, their EQ, compressor, reverb etc., they will talk about the absolute sound without reference and make absolute judgements. They would tell you go get another $4000 amp, DAC or HP, while all you have to do is a simple EQ tweak, and they will tell that they don't "believe in EQ" as if it has anything to do with believing. You don't know what the ears of these people are capable of, other than their claims.

This is why we have objective measurements and analysis.

ADI-2 is an excellent product. As said before, Stealth as it is has absolutely outstanding sound. Because of that perfect tuning without any need for patching dips or spikes, you can easily tweak it with subtle PEQ adjustments on your ADI-2, to a particular album or genre.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,354 of 6,012
I would take most of the talk here with a big spoon of salt. Here, 50+ year old people will tell you that they can hear differences in microSD cards. People that trashed their ears with clubbing or "constant punch and slam from headphones" will tell you differences between silver and copper silver hybrid cables. They will tell you that they can hear the differences between media player application version, even when the developer says it was a change or a fix that has nothing to do with it. When many times even the consecutive albums of the same group changes sound, due production, recording equipment, their EQ, compressor, reverb etc., they will talk about the absolute sound without reference and make absolute judgements. They would tell you go get another $4000 amp, DAC or HP, while all you have to do is a simple EQ tweak, and they will tell that they don't "believe in EQ" as if it has anything to do with believing. You don't know what the ears of these people are capable of, other than their claims.

This is why we have objective measurements and analysis.

ADI-2 is an excellent product. As said before, Stealth as it is has absolutely outstanding sound. Because of that perfect tuning without any need for patching dips or spikes, you can easily tweak it with subtle PEQ adjustments on your ADI-2, to a particular album or genre.

So ... DargibMakhum, after a few days using the Stealth ... because of the 4K€ access point, I want to ask you if you think it can become a main Headphone (Home/Office/Trip) and replace all other headphone (in your case HE 1000Se, Rögnir, T+A Solitaire PSE and even an IEM like A18T) ?

I imagine, I would spend another 4K in a Stealth only if It helps me to keep only 1 headphone and one IEM => Stealth and IE900. Otherwise, I will prefer to wait and go for an open Headphone (Susvara ?) and an IEM.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #1,355 of 6,012
So ... DargibMakhum, after a few days using the Stealth ... because of the 4K€ access point, I want to ask you if you think it can become a main Headphone (Home/Office/Trip) and replace all other headphone (in your case HE 1000Se, Rögnir, T+A Solitaire PSE and even an IEM like A18T) ?

I imagine, I would spend another 4K in a Stealth only if It helps me to keep only 1 headphone and one IEM => Stealth and IE900. Otherwise, I will prefer to wait and go for an open Headphone (Susvara ?) and an IEM.
For me, as a total package it does. I will keep the HEKse, I sometimes need an open HP to hear what is going on outside (the door, for example). Stealth isolation is just too good sometimes. :) For Rögnir, I haven't decided yet - if I would need an easier to drive HP. I will decide it later - see what the FiiO M17 will offer. I will compare the MAX to M17, sell the one I don't prefer. I will probably decide Rögnir's fate based on that comparison. I might even sell the Broadway after that.

But yeah, Stealth is my main HP right now and no buyer's remorse here.

Sep 14, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #1,356 of 6,012
For me, as a total package it does. I will keep the HEKse, I sometimes need an open HP to hear what is going on outside (the door, for example). Stealth isolation is just too good sometimes. :) For Rögnir, I haven't decided yet - if I would need an easier to drive HP. I will decide it later - see what the FiiO M17 will offer. I will compare the MAX to M17, sell the one I don't prefer. I will probably decide Rögnir's fate based on that comparison. I might even sell the Broadway after that.

But yeah, Stealth is my main HP right now and no buyer's remorse here.
That's quite unexpected, that the stealth replaced most of your headphones.

Even more unexpected is that the HEkSE is still in your lineup after all the cans you went through.

Did you ever consider the Susvara?

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:00 AM Post #1,357 of 6,012
That's quite unexpected, that the stealth replaced most of your headphones.

Even more unexpected is that the HEkSE is still in your lineup after all the cans you went through.

Did you ever consider the Susvara?
I have the HEKse as it is very comfortable and has really good sound, and is very easy to drive. Just needs some EQ. Susvara is for me out of question. I wouldn't buy an HP that cannot be driven from a (trans)portable, or at least a normal headphone amplifier.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #1,358 of 6,012
I have the HEKse as it is very comfortable and has really good sound, and is very easy to drive. Just needs some EQ. Susvara is for me out of question. I wouldn't buy an HP that cannot be driven from a (trans)portable, or at least a normal headphone amplifier.
Doesn't the Stealth have abyssmal sensitivity as well?
Is it useable on DAPs?

Further off topic questions via pm :wink:

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #1,360 of 6,012

Don't you think that the difficult Susvara can't be driven maybe by the 2 W of a FIIO M17 .. or the 6W of the future Centrance Ampersand or even the Bx2+ ?

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:29 AM Post #1,361 of 6,012
Don't you think that the difficult Susvara can be driven maybe by the 2 W of a FIIO M17 .. or the 6W of the future Centrance Ampersand or even the Bx2+ ?
I frankly wouldn't invest in a Susvara. There is T+A Solitaire P (if you want an open back), for example, which some Susvara owners also have and praise to be at the same level. Also cheaper in the EU. And much easier to drive than Susvara. Sounds great out of a DX300, for example. I, unfortunately, have a larger head top and for me the headband is not comfortable.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #1,362 of 6,012
Susvara has much more presence in midrange than T+A Solitaire. Whatever amp you use, whatever dac you pair Solitaire with, the driver won't push more air in the midrange than Susvara. For those who enjoy rich, full midrange, Susvara is a better choice. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I think everything is subjective in this hobby but objective data shows that Susvara's midrange is richer than T+A Solitaire's (and my ears agree with that too)

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #1,363 of 6,012
Basically, I would prefer to go for a closed Headphone like the Stealth, as, even at home, I have actually some discomfort with my family when I am using an open Headphone like HEDD, like when we are together in the living room occupied on different activities.. I also would like to use a rather compact headphone in transcontinental flights or even long distance trains (TGV/Shinkansen).
Till now the closed headphones were too limited in stage size and depth .. I am hoping the gap is a bit less dramatic with new closed headphones'gen.

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #1,364 of 6,012
Susvara has much more presence in midrange than T+A Solitaire. Whatever amp you use, whatever dac you pair Solitaire with, the driver won't push more air in the midrange than Susvara. For those who enjoy rich, full midrange, Susvara is a better choice. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I think everything is more subjective in this hobby but objective data shows that Susvara's midrange is richer than T+A Solitaire's (and my ears agree with that too)
That is true. I had the P and my wife has the P-SE and upper mids are slightly recessed, but nothing a simple EQ tweak cannot solve. I find it a good compromise, if you want something you can listen to music from a portable. I used to listen even when I was doing house work. Try that with Susvara, with a 15m cable. :)

Sep 14, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #1,365 of 6,012
Susvara has much more presence in midrange than T+A Solitaire. Whatever amp you use, whatever dac you pair Solitaire with, the driver won't push more air in the midrange than Susvara. For those who enjoy rich, full midrange, Susvara is a better choice. I'm not saying one is better than the other, I think everything is more subjective in this hobby but objective data shows that Susvara's midrange is richer than T+A Solitaire's (and my ears agree with that too)
That is true.
Those two are on the same level in terms of detail and imaging, but obviously have different presentations.

The Susvara has the fuller midrange.
The Solitaire P has stronger Bass especially sub bass and smoother treble, overall the darker tone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back