Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 14, 2021 at 6:41 AM Post #1,366 of 6,002
I think this is one of the most beautiful HPs on the market. It looks sleek, futuristic, and well-engineered. It also looks light, but rigid and strong - I really hope that's how they feel when I finally have one in hand.

Aesthetically it is also a giant step up from other DCA headphones, which I honestly thought looked a bit cheap with the glossy finishes and rims.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,367 of 6,002
I think this is one of the most beautiful HPs on the market. It looks sleek, futuristic, and well-engineered. It also looks light, but rigid and strong - I really hope that's how they feel when I finally have one in hand.

Aesthetically it is also a giant step up from other DCA headphones, which I honestly thought looked a bit cheap with the glossy finishes and rims.
The biggest surprise is the pads. The most comfortable pads I have ever felt on any headphone. Also the isolation is one of the best. I still can't believe that Stealth actually exists.

Sep 14, 2021 at 7:53 AM Post #1,368 of 6,002
It also looks light, but rigid and strong - I really hope that's how they feel when I finally have one in hand.
They do, mostly! Because of how light they are and because of the slightly rough to the touch texture of the carbon fiber I still feel inspired to handle them with caution, though, I suspect they are vulnerable to scratches there (doesn't feel as protected as on the Ether C Flow). But that cold metal exoskeleton feels like tough armor.

Overall, rigid isn't the sensation, though, because the Nitinol is very flexible. A Focal or Sennheiser you can hold up with one earcup and it keeps its shape, but with these you'll have to balance that counter weight in the form of the other earcup like it's spring loaded. In terms of rigidity, it's rather opposite of the Abyss 1266, though the individual earcups feel very solid, no hint of plastic squeakiness like on my SHP9500S, HD660S, or the Focal Listen. But that wasn't a problem with the Ether series, either.

I'd say they inspire you to be more careful than you probably need to be.

I can see that, though the Ether 2 for me already left that behind, more so than the VOCE.

A coworker said the Ether C Flow look like someone made them in their garage, I can't quite agree with that, haha.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:21 AM Post #1,369 of 6,002
The biggest surprise is the pads. The most comfortable pads I have ever felt on any headphone. Also the isolation is one of the best. I still can't believe that Stealth actually exists.

Even if it won't be the main use of such headphone, I think it can be a nice feature if in planes and trains, Stealth's isolation is already good enough to avoid any noise-cancelling system (which impacts more or less the sound).
I am used for years to prefer Sony Z7M2 or Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas headphones than my Airpod pro or my IER-Z1R. If isolation of the Stealth is rather good, I will be maybe able to listen at a lower volume level than I do actually in trains and planes.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #1,370 of 6,002
Basically, I would prefer to go for a closed Headphone like the Stealth, as, even at home, I have actually some discomfort with my family when I am using an open Headphone like HEDD, like when we are together in the living room occupied on different activities.. I also would like to use a rather compact headphone in transcontinental flights or even long distance trains (TGV/Shinkansen).
Till now the closed headphones were too limited in stage size and depth .. I am hoping the gap is a bit less dramatic with new closed headphones'gen.
I'm in the same boat, which is why i prefer closed backs, but i think you're jumping to conclusions based on forum impressions and definitely should test yourself.
It doesn't seem to me like the Stealth is on another level for soundstage size at least. For that i would have expected them to be similar to an Abyss. My Z1R already have a bigger soundstage than Utopias and 4Z in my chain, which are open backs. And the chain optimization has a lot to do with it. I'm also using crossfeed.
And i'm basing this on having tested myself, not head-fi impressions. So for me "as big as open backs " isn't really saying that much.

Sep 14, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #1,371 of 6,002
Even if it won't be the main use of such headphone, I think it can be a nice feature if in planes and trains, Stealth's isolation is already good enough to avoid any noise-cancelling system (which impacts more or less the sound).
I am used for years to prefer Sony Z7M2 or Ultrasone Ed15 Veritas headphones than my Airpod pro or my IER-Z1R. If isolation of the Stealth is rather good, I will be maybe able to listen at a lower volume level than I do actually in trains and planes.
I think it is better than Stellia or D9200, but that is from memory. I also don't listen loud, it can isolate the roomba vacum cleaner running upstairs with no closed door in between.

I'm in the same boat, which is why i prefer closed backs, but i think you're jumping to conclusions based on forum impressions and definitely should test yourself.
It doesn't seem to me like the Stealth is on another level for soundstage size at least. For that i would have expected them to be similar to an Abyss. My Z1R already have a bigger soundstage than Utopias and 4Z in my chain, which are open backs. And the chain optimization has a lot to do with it. I'm also using crossfeed.
And i'm basing this on having tested myself, not head-fi impressions. So for me "as big as open backs " isn't really saying that much.
Stage is realistic. It is not a HD800 or HEKse which becomes unnatural and kind of disintegrates music. Center image is close rather in your head, but not exaggerated like Utopia with its sharp upper mids, which limits my listening to max 5 minutes. Because the layering and instrument separation is very good, it does not feel congested. You definitely feel the 3D placement and the natural (recording room or added) reverb.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #1,372 of 6,002
You are basically right, and it's really not easy to test most of the models ..
But, my own experience is limited to what I own and can compare directly and easily
As open headphones :
HEDD (AMT) / Kingsound KS-H4 (Electrostatic) / Stax SR003-MK2(Electrostatic)

As closed headphones :
Z7M2 / Ultrasone ed 15 Veritas / IER-Z1R / IE 900

I use a some PEQ with ALL my headphones (through Neutron/UAPP) .. I never use any Crossfeed, though a few years ago I expected, it would help me with stage size.

In conclusion .. in my own experience, all my open headphones/IEM have basically a much wider and deeper stage than my closed headphones/IEM..

What I could read around the Steath for a few weeks, I expect it must be somewhere nearer open back Headphones than close back headphones

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #1,373 of 6,002
I feel compelled to contribute to the thread. I know how difficult it can be to purchase headphones without the opportunity to listen to them. The Head-Fi community has helped me navigate this decision process before, so hopefully, I can help a little bit here. I currently own the Susvara, ZMF VC, and Stealth. I'm in the 15 day return period with the Stealth.

My disclaimer, I'm not a reviewer or experienced audio engineer. I'm just an old guy that likes music and is fortunate to have the resources to build a nice headphone rig (speakers are a non-started in this household). Since I'm not a reviewer or audio engineer and don't have their vocabulary, I will ramble a bit on what I like and don't like in the hope that you have heard some of the same gear and can determine how your preferences align with mine. I will end with my current impressions, but because the Stealth is so good at what it does, I plan on spending more listening time this weekend before I make the keep or return decision.

The Background Ramble
My preferences. My current rig is RME ADI-2 FS -> Flux FA10 (VOLOT on order, last stop before I resort to using speaker taps with the Susvara) -> Susvara, ZMF VC, Stealth (all balanced). My portable rig is Lotoo Paw S1 -> Thieaudio Clairvoyance. With the Susvara and Clairvoyance, I'm listening to some of the best music I've ever heard. My first love was the Ayre QB-9 -> Eddie Current Balancing Act - LCD-2 (original). My last love was the Ayre QB-9 DSD -> Simaudio 430ha -> Hifiman HE1000 (version 1). In the past, I found my preferences aligned with Tyll at Innerfidelity, so I bought what he liked. Between my last love and current setup, I took a break from the hobby. When I returned, Tyll was gone, and I was on my own. I discovered the Harmon Curve with Bass Shelf was my tonality preference. I prefer warmer versus brighter.

Know for what I don't like. The HD800's were too bright, and I returned them twice. The HD800S stayed a little longer, but I kicked it out too. Returning to the hobby, I felt I was missing something with the HE1000v1. I moved to the HE1000SE, but they had a little bright edge that bothered me. It was hard to return them because they were almost there, but moving to the Susvara, I hit my "just right" spot. I'm also very sensitive to resonance. My ears were picking something up with the Stellia, and I returned them after a weekend. Dan's Ether C's also didn't agree with me. If I remember right, they were too bright for me too. I've run through a lot of gear and can go on, but hopefully, this is enough for you to get a feel for my preferences.

The music I listen to; a lot of Classic Rock, Blues, and Funk. I guess everything but Country and Western.

Finally, what I think about the Stealth headphones, at $4,000 with all its new technology, I was hoping for a closed Susvara or something better, and to my ears - it's not. To my Son's younger ears, who liked the HD800, the difference is smaller. He also likes the Susvara better, but he would keep the Stealth too. I think the difference is the bass presentation which confuses the hell out of me considering the frequency curve. But like I said, I'm not an audio engineer or reviewer, so I can't explain what I'm hearing. I want more physicality in my music (if that's a thing). Maybe it's because the Stealth is so clean. My ears do not hear any distortion or resonance. You can crank these headphones, and they don't break up. And DCA clearly nailed Harman Curve with the Stealth.

So how does it compare to the ZMF Verite Closed? To my ears, it doesn't. It's different. If you love your ZMF VCs, I'm not sure you would want to replace them with the Stealth. You might want to add the Stealth to your collection. But before you do that, I would suggest listening to the HE1000se, and although I haven't heard the HE1000v2, I would give them a try too. Unfortunately, neither headphone is closed. On the other hand, if you hate your ZMF VCs, the Stealth may be what you're looking for.

For me, if making my imaginary closed Susvara is beyond the industry's engineering know-how, I would opt for Zack making a Verite Closed that hugs the Harman curve or Dan making a version of the Stealth with that "physicality thing" I can't explain.

I'm sorry for the long post, but hopefully, it helps someone make a $4,000 decision.
Thanks for your post! Using the Susvara daily and hesitating for the DC Stealth, your feedback greatly helped!

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #1,374 of 6,002
For me, as a total package it does. I will keep the HEKse, I sometimes need an open HP to hear what is going on outside (the door, for example). Stealth isolation is just too good sometimes. :) For Rögnir, I haven't decided yet - if I would need an easier to drive HP. I will decide it later - see what the FiiO M17 will offer. I will compare the MAX to M17, sell the one I don't prefer. I will probably decide Rögnir's fate based on that comparison. I might even sell the Broadway after that.

But yeah, Stealth is my main HP right now and no buyer's remorse here.
Don't mean to derail the thread with this, but just curious what the benefits are of having large and heavy DAPs like the Max and the M17 compared to a desktop setup. They're not meant to be taken out of the house, and they can't drive the Stealth/Rognir to the their max potential, so what's the use case? Not being dismissive, just genuinely curious...

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #1,375 of 6,002
So ... DargibMakhum, after a few days using the Stealth ... because of the 4K€ access point, I want to ask you if you think it can become a main Headphone (Home/Office/Trip) and replace all other headphone (in your case HE 1000Se, Rögnir, T+A Solitaire PSE and even an IEM like A18T) ?

I imagine, I would spend another 4K in a Stealth only if It helps me to keep only 1 headphone and one IEM => Stealth and IE900. Otherwise, I will prefer to wait and go for an open Headphone (Susvara ?) and an IEM.
I have had for a while and I swapped my main set for these, fully happy to have these as my one and only all in TOTL cans!

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,376 of 6,002
Don't mean to derail the thread with this, but just curious what the benefits are of having large and heavy DAPs like the Max and the M17 compared to a desktop setup. They're not meant to be taken out of the house, and they can't drive the Stealth/Rognir to the their max potential, so what's the use case? Not being dismissive, just genuinely curious...
But !!! I need to be free in my home to go in the living room sitting in an armchair or sofa, working on a desk with a 32" monitor in a working room, lying in my bed, staying outside in my garden, having some activities with a spinning bike, etc etc ...
For a few years now, I prefer to spend 8 to 10K€ in a high end (trans)portable system (FIIO M17 or WM1A/BX2+ and a Susvara/Stealth) than any desktop system which will stick me at one place in my home.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2021 at 10:24 AM Post #1,377 of 6,002
I don’t have these, but I use my Mobil setup out back for enjoying in the hammock or enjoying a sunset at the table outside, I imagine this is a perfect use case for large yet portable options.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #1,378 of 6,002
So that one can move around and not sit at one location? Also when I am traveling (I used to travel a lot, in the past) I don't have any problem taking a big DAP with me . I don't use IEMs and prefer full size headphones.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #1,379 of 6,002
So that one can move around and not sit at one location? Also when I am traveling (I used to travel a lot, in the past) I don't have any problem taking a big DAP with me . I don't use IEMs and prefer full size headphones.
That makes sense.

Sep 14, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #1,380 of 6,002
I have had for a while and I swapped my main set for these, fully happy to have these as my one and only all in TOTL cans!
Which headphone did you replace by a Stealth ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back