Dan Clark Audio Stealth Review, Interview, Measurements
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #5,056 of 6,033
I just confirmed that Hostiles: Cradle to the Grave, which contains a lot of very low-frequency bass, will cause the Diablo to clip at not a particularly loud volume (from the balanced output). That definitely lends severe doubt as to its actual output figure. It's fine with non-movie-theatre music though.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #5,057 of 6,033
BT ldac from 'optimized via crippling' Samsung phone mqa to gryphon ldac to stealth is upsettingly close to my main rig with CDT + ocxo. And I was about the chuck away my ldac chain when I haven't considered optimizing it. Let's put it that way.
I still don't get that. Optimizing? via crippling?
Most sonic issues of BT is due to the BG services of the transport than the bandwidth of ldac.
I hardly think so, any background services may interrupt BT connection, but not create sonic issues. For as long as it plays smoothly.

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:28 AM Post #5,058 of 6,033
I just confirmed that Hostiles: Cradle to the Grave, which contains a lot of very low-frequency bass, will cause the Diablo to clip at not a particularly loud volume (from the balanced output). That definitely lends severe doubt as to its actual output figure. It's fine with non-movie-theatre music though.
It really doesn't. It will if your signal chain has a fair amount of interference. That's all. I've used that track on the diablo low gain and go Blu and go bar with stealth and susvara and there's no clipping. 😉😉

I hardly think so, any background services may interrupt BT connection, but not create sonic issues. For as long as it plays smoothly.
Well that's why I post about such because like curra, people are making the wrong assumptions as shown above where they think transport quality doesn't make a difference... By 'crippling' it is like a dedicated DAP. I've uninstalled and disabled, put to deep sleep as much apps as possible. Turn off all scanning. Took out the sim card. Have it on power saver whilst keeping CPU at 100%, and this one may uniquely be a Samsung thing and makes it a game changer vs other phone options...etc.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #5,059 of 6,033
add an external battery pack for the DCA Stealth... then battery playing time is not enough for overseas flights
Well, I fly to LA from London twice a year (12hrs). My Hugo2 lasts about 5-6 hours, my phone, a bit longer, and I do take a battery pack with me too.
But frankly, between getting onboard, putting my stuff away, taking off, meals, bathroom visits, landing . . . I don't usually have more time that 5-6 hours or so to listen to music! Even if I did (ever) there is the battery pack. Not to mention, most long haul flights have power sockets installed.
. . . and the Smartphone connected to an usb-c SSD or a Streaming . . .
I had the need for external storage for my phone, as my Huawei phone only takes NM cards which are limited to 256GB max.
So I made this:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...ing-on-page-95-of-thread.885405/post-17092579

Sep 14, 2022 at 6:34 AM Post #5,060 of 6,033
You've set him off again about signal chains ☹️

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:31 AM Post #5,063 of 6,033
I read that it’s current limited to something like 130 ma. So aggravating that power specs are so misleading.

Cradle to grave is a torture test for amps and the Stealth for sure.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #5,064 of 6,033
One unexpected Stealth/Expanse surprise was that a BTR7 can drive them, just. It doesn't fall apart at max volume listening to the Black Keys latest album either, nor sound excessively shouty, which <$1k DAPs often will at high volumes. Not my first choice of gear by far, but I thought I'd see how well it could hold it together.

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #5,065 of 6,033
It really doesn't. It will if your signal chain has a fair amount of interference. That's all. I've used that track on the diablo low gain and go Blu and go bar with stealth and susvara and there's no clipping. 😉😉

Well that's why I post about such because like curra, people are making the wrong assumptions as shown above where they think transport quality doesn't make a difference... By 'crippling' it is like a dedicated DAP. I've uninstalled and disabled, put to deep sleep as much apps as possible. Turn off all scanning. Took out the sim card. Have it on power saver whilst keeping CPU at 100%, and this one may uniquely be a Samsung thing and makes it a game changer vs other phone options...etc.
Are you perchance the one posting the Go Blu driving the Susvara on “the headphone experience” on Facebook?

Sep 14, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #5,066 of 6,033
One unexpected Stealth/Expanse surprise was that a BTR7 can drive them, just. It doesn't fall apart at max volume listening to the Black Keys latest album either, nor sound excessively shouty, which <$1k DAPs often will at high volumes. Not my first choice of gear by far, but I thought I'd see how well it could hold it together.
I tried Stealth with Hiby R5g2 using single ended output (as I don't have balanced cable with hirose connectors) and to my surprise it was decent.
As you said it wouldn't be my first choice but it was really listenable, not shouty or distorted alas I did not try any crazy tracks like Cradle etc...
On some classical recordings volume was above ~80/100 with high gain and class A operation mode.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #5,067 of 6,033
It's more likely one has hearing loss than the Diablo lacking current...or dunno how to listen to high dynamic music. Low gain balanced gives 112dB in one was to complain about lack of current.

Screenshot_20220914-195143.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 8:16 AM Post #5,068 of 6,033
Well, I fly to LA from London twice a year (12hrs). My Hugo2 lasts about 5-6 hours, my phone, a bit longer, and I do take a battery pack with me too.
For decades, I have at least once a year a 24 to 30 hours oversea family trip (3 planes and a train from my town in France to the town of my family in South Japan ) and some other trips around 15 hours (2 planes from france to africa, Martinique or French Guyana) .. unless it's for business or we are only 2 in premimum économy, we don't have any chance to charge anything like an amp with any USB planes available (just the smartphone, that's all). For such trip having 12 to 15 hours playing time is a real comfort.

Sep 14, 2022 at 8:33 AM Post #5,069 of 6,033

I'm taking a long flight next week which will be my first flight since getting the Stealth. Does the Stealth provide enough isolation to be enjoyable on a plane or should I stick with my noise canceling Sonys?

Sep 14, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #5,070 of 6,033
I'm taking a long flight next week which will be my first flight since getting the Stealth. Does the Stealth provide enough isolation to be enjoyable on a plane or should I stick with my noise canceling Sonys?
Not enough IMO. I never bother trying to use nice gear on planes. I'm just grateful to have less airplane noise, so I take a pair of Sonys with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back